Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0  Sign-Ups  NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-) >
  • Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

• Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Old 04-29-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by fryguymoore
    Originally Posted by Difergie
    I am not going to starch the ones I am sending but plan to starch the fabric I receive before cutting it out as it makes cutting/measuring more acurate..when they are sent home the owner if they have allergies can rinse them out..does that sound reasonable?
    I received a block that had been starched and I got a string of migraines from it. I had to seal it up in a baggy until someone else could wash it for me. For me, I would rather have an inaccurate block than a weeks worth of migraines!

I would would strongly encourage anyone with allergies to include a note to this effect with the fabric. There is no way to know if the block was starched until after it is opened and then it is too late.

This swap is so, so, so much fun! I will definately be in Boom 6.0
    Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 PM

It is a good idea to let people know if you have allergies in a note...I do not want to be responsible for anyone's migraine...they are a terrible thing to endure!
    Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Difergie
    It is a good idea to let people know if you have allergies in a note...I do not want to be responsible for anyone's migraine...they are a terrible thing to endure!
    Good plan. And as one of those allergy sufferers, thank you in advance to all of you for being so understanding and respectful. It's very much appreciated! :-D
    Old 04-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Ok, all my pieces are in baggies and then stuffed in envelopes. Waiting patiently...hehehe

As for anyone that gets my pieces, some may be a tad larger than the 18x11. I cut up a doggie panel and so it has small portraits. Feel free to do as you please, sash it or cut it in pieces.
    Old 04-29-2011, 04:23 PM

just on the allergy/starch note, it is the flurocarbons that linger in the fabrics after starching them that can cause the problems. flurocarbons are what is released in the air with pressurized sprays. i too will place a note in my fabric to not use any sprays on my return blocks. i have asthma in addition to allergies so i try to be more proactive than reactive with my tigger cautions.

i look at all of this as a learning experience. quilters & sewers do different things and have a multitude of methods to get things done. unfortunately our environment has become so tainted there are so many who suffer from its effects now. i do want to thank the quilters who are being asked to adapt their methods some to accomodate those of us who may have allergic challenges for your willingness to compromise. i for one will much appreciate it.

april, i am sending three 1/2 prints: one for my bestest friend that will have a small piece of accent fabric with it as this is what she used to decorate her bedroom. i grabbed the rest of her leftover fabric to make her a lap quilt; my second is a bright cheery jeweled toned print to make a quilt for a friend's daughter who will start college this fall and the other print....... well it will be the michael miller colorful print. i just have to decide which one i will send out, both are rich colors and playful large prints.

i am sure that MM fabric will test the creativity of some. i am looking forward to seeing what blocks will be created from it.

thanks all for the info on envelopes and mailing costs. i hadn't looked that far into everything so this info was helpful. i have a scale so can measure what i need to get an accurate cost but i need envelopes and stamps.
    Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by JudyVA
    I'm in...this may be the craziest commitment I make, this week anyway..but I am willing to give it a try...

I will send a PM with my info.
    Judy, you will be SO glad you made this 'crazy commitment'!! This is an AMAZING swap! & April is an AMAZING hostess! :thumbup: :!:
    I guarantee you will have a blast! - just don't fret the small stuff ;)
    Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 PM

After reading 13 pages I'm a little scared....

It sounds like I could have to buy mucho different fabrics to match up with what is sent to me to be used as I don't have much stash as of yet. However I won't know what I need until I received 35 different pieces?

It also sounds like they can request special colors to be used with their fabrics creating another purchase to coordinate for just their fabric.

It also sounds like that the squares will be limp during construction since several do not wish to have them sprayed due to health reasons. Any suggestions for construction help without spray?

I have cats and as most people with cats know, they lay on everything regardless how you wish they wouldn't. I wouldn't want someone with allergies to have problems from my cats being on/near their squares.

I am very new at using a pattern for a square and had thought about joining this as a good way to try out 35 squares... but I think I've been scared off. Actually doing a nine patch evenly was a challenge for me but I understand that is too basic a pattern for some's taste.

Sorry but maybe another time when I think I can live up to the standards. Sounded like fun .... good luck to the rest of you.
    Old 04-30-2011, 08:04 PM

moonwork42029 its not as bad as you think. For the most part people are pretty accepting of any colors as long as they match. Last swap I had less than half a dozen that had special requests.
    Old 04-30-2011, 08:32 PM

moonwork42029...it really isn't all that bad, actually it is really alot of fun. If you feel comfortable doing a 9 patch..do it. As far as your having a cat..I have 4 indoor dogs and a cat and I have never had a complaint.
    Old 04-30-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    After reading 13 pages I'm a little scared....

It sounds like I could have to buy mucho different fabrics to match up with what is sent to me to be used as I don't have much stash as of yet. However I won't know what I need until I received 35 different pieces?

It also sounds like they can request special colors to be used with their fabrics creating another purchase to coordinate for just their fabric.

It also sounds like that the squares will be limp during construction since several do not wish to have them sprayed due to health reasons. Any suggestions for construction help without spray?

I have cats and as most people with cats know, they lay on everything regardless how you wish they wouldn't. I wouldn't want someone with allergies to have problems from my cats being on/near their squares.

I am very new at using a pattern for a square and had thought about joining this as a good way to try out 35 squares... but I think I've been scared off. Actually doing a nine patch evenly was a challenge for me but I understand that is too basic a pattern for some's taste.

Sorry but maybe another time when I think I can live up to the standards. Sounded like fun .... good luck to the rest of you.
    Aw ... it's really not like that. ((( hugs )))

As far as needing to buy fabric, a small supply of blenders will go a long way. And of course, neutrals will go with almost anything. Most people don't mention a request FOR certain colors. If there's a request at all, usually it's a request NOT to use a specific color, such as "no black" or "no pink". :)

I know what you mean about kitties. I have 4 of them that would LOVE to lay on my fabric if they got the chance. :mrgreen: In my case, I keep the door closed, but you could also keep your swap fabrics in boxes or bags so the kitties couldn't get to them. I just try to glance over each block before sending it back to make sure it hasn't picked up any hair.

I don't use starch. Never have. But I think I saw a recipe here somewhere telling how to make your own. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that eliminate the potentially dangerous chemicals found in the aerosol version?

I, for one, am very happy to receive the blocks people have made for me ... whether it's a complicated block OR a simple one ... and I'm sure everyone else is, too. This will be my 3rd Boomerang swap (5 groups total), and I've yet to receive a block that I didn't love. :)

Each block you make doesn't have to be different. If you wanted, you could use the same pattern each time. In other words, if you're comfortable with Nine Patch blocks, there's no rule saying you can't make 35 of 'em. :mrgreen: Granted, Nine Patches might be relatively simple, but they're very pretty. And besides, we ALL started somewhere! ;)

If you wanted to go a step further, you could even make a Dutch Nine Patch block or a Friendship Star, like shown below. They're just Nine Patch blocks with a small twist. :)

Come on and jump in! The water's fine! :mrgreen: :thumbup:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-191358.gif   attachment-191359.gif