Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0  Sign-Ups  NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-) >
  • Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

• Boomerang Friendship Block Swap 5.0 Sign-Ups NOW CLOSED-LISTS have been sent and threads started for each group :-)

Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Pokerdiva I guess I am a bit confused. I am excellent at math (work with it daily)so maybe it is just my understanding. If I cut an 18x22 FQ into halves I am thinking I will have two 18x11 pieces which is the size requested.

I just measured several of my fat quarters to confirm that my math and my visualization are reconciled with each other. They both seem to be in agreement. So it must be my understanding. Perhaps you can elaborate a bit further for me.
    Old 04-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    Pokerdiva I guess I am a bit confused. I am excellent at math (work with it daily)so maybe it is just my understanding. If I cut an 18x22 FQ into halves I am thinking I will have two 18x11 pieces which is the size requested.

I just measured several of my fat quarters to confirm that my math and my visualization are reconciled with each other. They both seem to be in agreement. So it must be my understanding. Perhaps you can elaborate a bit further for me.
    OK. If you take one yard of fabric and cut it into 18" strips, you get two strips. Then you subcut by 11" , you will 3 pieces, if you don't include the edges. 2x3 is 6. I cut mine in 11" strips and subcut in 18" pieces as it doesn't waste as much fabric. I don't send the edges as they are not usable.
    Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 AM

PokerDiva gave a good way to do this. Another way to do this, to save longer pieces for use later (like borders) is to cut the fabric into two 18" wide length-of-fabric pieces, giving you a long piece about 3 inches or so. Then subcut those two 18" pieces into 11" wide pieces.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 PM

It really comes down to the size of your original fabric. Some fabrics are only 40-42" which would not yield a true 18x11 piece. I always estimate six yards just to be safe (especially after washing it :-) )
    I hope this helps-your math is right if you include the selvages and that the fabric remains 44" after washing. (If it begins that wide)
    I may have a small group but at this moment it looks like I may have two full groups of 36 just checking some confirms
    Hugs
    April
    Old 04-25-2011, 01:15 AM

I have definitely decided on one fabric and am considering another. I'm not sure if the green fabric with just black and white will give people a hard time because of the limited number of colors.

Definite
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]188747[/ATTACH]

maybe, kind, sorta (actually very lime green)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]188748[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-188741.jpe   attachment-188742.jpe  
    Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 AM

I like both choices myself!!! I will probbly have four different fabrics going out. Here are the first three that will be matched with white on white.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]188722[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]188723[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]188724[/ATTACH]

All together
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]188725[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-188716.jpe   attachment-188717.jpe   attachment-188718.jpe   attachment-188719.jpe  
    Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 AM

Here are my two choices. :)

#1 and #2 - Laurel Burch - Celestial Dreams. Some of you will be getting the main fabric (first photo), and others will be getting the coordinating fabric. I couldn't find a photo of the exact coordinating fabric, but it looks just like the second photo, only it's more navy blue instead of medium blue. The design is the same. These are all packaged up and ready to mail. :thumbup:

#3 - Moda Summer Breeze. Waiting on the shipment to arrive. :D
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-188749.jpe   attachment-188750.jpe   attachment-188751.jpe  
    Old 04-25-2011, 03:12 AM

LOL!!! So I as I began cutting I realized I'm gonna have many quilts this swap as well. Since I will be doing both groups I forgot that means more fabric:)-
    Old 04-25-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Navarre2011
    LOL!!! So I as I began cutting I realized I'm gonna have many quilts this swap as well. Since I will be doing both groups I forgot that means more fabric:)-
    Darn ... time to go shopping! ;) :mrgreen:

Great choices, by the way!

I like the floral/asian print on the previous page, too. Very nice! :thumbup:
    Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 AM

I must shop my stash as I am in Turkey!!! I have plenty so that is not an issue. Just like always it is picking the fabric:)