Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boomerang Friendship Swap 1.0(Sign-Ups Closed)-Need Help Identifying Two Fabrics :-) 09/27/10 >
  • Boomerang Friendship Swap 1.0(Sign-Ups Closed)-Need Help Identifying Two Fabrics :-) 09/27/10

• Boomerang Friendship Swap 1.0(Sign-Ups Closed)-Need Help Identifying Two Fabrics :-) 09/27/10

Old 02-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by MoodyKim
    Thank you April, I am new at this and kinda paniced when I thought everyone else was finished with their blocks. :oops: I am enjoying getting the fabric and making blocks. It is fun, just takes me longer to match fabric and blocks!
    Kim I am so far from being done that you have no worries. Mine will all be done before the April deadline but most likely not before that. My sewing time is limited and if I had to be pressured by a deadline that was not as long as this one....the swap would be no fun for me. So enjoy!
    Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Well, I managed to spend the last stretch of time reading 14 pages ... wowie! There are some really lovely blocks being sent around. I think the US Postal Service should put out a series of quilt-themed stamps, because we seem to be keeping them afloat almost single-handedly!

MoodyKim, don't fret, I've only got 5 blocks done and out. I spent last night watching opening ceremonies for the Olympics and got several more cut out, and selected blocks to do for the remainder. I'll get the table cleared off and start sewing soon. You're definitely NOT the last one to finish!

April, if you haven't already, please count me in for Boomerang 2.0. I have really enjoyed this swap; it is giving me opportunity to think outside my comfot zone as some of these fabrics come in. Stretching the creative brain is a good thing.

And an update for anyone else who might be curious: a friend of mine (who longarm quilts) told me about a fundraiser for ALS (a/k/a Lou Gehrig's Disease) which also includes a competition for quilts, I think. I don't know all the details, but have decided that it would be cool to put my/our work into something great to help someone else. Although my family has not been touched by ALS, I think it needs some help with fundraising for research. Anyway, that's what I am planning to use some of my blocks for.

Yes, photos will be posted of what I send to the fundraiser. And I can't post photos of my received blocks right now because camera batteries are dead. Soon, ladies, soon.

Happy Sewing!

Odessa
    Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 AM

At the rate I am going I will be last but someone has to be!

I cut my first block yesterday after many hours of deciding pattern and fabric.
    I, of course, cut it wrong!
    No problem I find another block to make with compatible block sizes. Get it almost cut out and see an armadillo running around out in the rain in the yard. I grab my camera and chase after it trying to get pictures. My new camera keeps turning off after I turn it off! I turn it on, it turns itself off! Gave up as I was in my slippers and getting kind of wet.
    Came in and cut the last block WRONG.
    At that point I grabbed a brownie and my book and went to bed.
    There are days I shouldn't try to sew.
    This morning I looked the situation over and decided that I could make a block with hardly any of her fabric in it but that wasn't the point of this swap so I put my problem solving hat on.
    The block which I wanted to make, who's name escapes me and I can't find anymore but do remember how to put together, is doable if I add an extra little seam to one part so that's what I did. I got it all put together and after it is put in a quilt it will only have a 1/4 inch seam that can't readily be seen. The recipient might not even notice unless I confess my sin here.
    So forgive me BarbS. I will gladly pay you for more fabric and shipping. The block will be in the mail on Tuesday so let me know if you want me to try again. If nothing else it should give you a laugh.

Now on to the next Canadian's block! Aren't you both glad I decided you both should go first?

Fun, fun, fun, they tell me this is FUN!
    I used to be a registered nurse and help save lives and stamp out disease but i have lost it now.
    Luckily even though I have lost most of my intelligence I haven't lost my sense of humor!

Here's to better days!
    :-D :-D
    Old 02-13-2010, 10:54 AM

I can't tell you how many of the blocks I've cut have been wrong, and had to be adapted. I've sewn at least half of them upside down, had to rip and repeat. Two of them were sewn upside down TWICE. If there is a queen of clutz, it is ME! Keep going, laugh, and enjoy yourself. All blocks are good. Even the bad ones. It helps us remember we persevere through all circumstances.
    Old 02-13-2010, 12:43 PM

I read my horoscope once every few years!! Today I noticed it on my home page so I read it, and I swear this is a quote,

"The New Moon in your 3rd House of Immediate Environment suggests you would be wise to finish as many old projects as possible, so you are ready to make your move when the next big thing comes along. But start now; you cannot afford to wait any longer. "

What a hoot. Happy VD tomorrow to everyone.
    Old 02-13-2010, 02:51 PM

Mailman brought me another lovely block today...this one is from oatw13...thanks, Misty, it is truly beautiful! I've really enjoyed the photos that show the blocks in group...so, I'm going to wait a bit longer and post photos when I have enough to make a nice showing...I sent out three different fabs so this may take a while...meanwhile, I'll try not to "pet" the print off any of these...LOL.
    Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM

I received blocks from purplemem and BarbS yesterday. Thank you both very much. I love the blocks.
    Old 02-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Susiequilt

I was so relieved to read your posting ... I just finished the block from h-e- double toothpicks. Fortunately, Lori Mosher didn't want any fabric back. I cut and sewed and ripped, then cut. resewed, re-ripped, had to piece one square. I too, ate chocolate and went to bed. I thought what am I doing, I'm in over my head....but it can always go on the back of the quilt, right??? I'm attaching pictures of the #@%%$^@ block.

Hugs, Gigix12
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-142.jpe   attachment-143.jpe  
    Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 PM

That's a really cool block! Enjoy the chocolate, will you share?
    Old 02-13-2010, 05:42 PM

Purplemem..sure I'll share my chocolate...but you don't want my frustration. I think I'll stick to simple patterns....that was way above my comfort level.

By the way I'll be in Corinth Sunday at church, I need divine intervention on these blocks, I think.

Gigix12