Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boomerang Swap 16 - Sign-Ups Open >
  • Boomerang Swap 16 - Sign-Ups Open

• Boomerang Swap 16 - Sign-Ups Open

Old 02-13-2016, 10:14 AM

Welcome to our new friends!

I've been quilting for ~~ 30 years. At one point in my quilting career, I owned a quilt shop for about 5 years and closed it the summer before the big financial crash in 2008. What an adventure! If I ever win the lottery, I'd open another quilt shop in a heartbeat.

I'm divorced and have 2 grown children. My son retired from the Army last year and my daughter lives here in So Cal, approx. 1/2 an hour away. I'm a cardiac nurse so I laughed when I read Kassaudra's comment about 'inappropriate humor'. Me too! Otherwise, I'd go a little crazy. It's a survival mechanism. Yes, quilting is for my mental health and it's a heck of a lot cheaper that going to a shrink and a lot more fun.

I bought a Singer Featherweight 2 years ago and her name is Lovely. I, too enjoy piecing more than anything else. I have been practicing with some machine quilting ((not sure I'd call it 'free motion')) on some mini quilts in another swap on this board. I figure I can manage smaller quilts.

My other joy right now is Swing dancing which I've been doing for the past 5 years. Love the dancing and love the music!
    Old 02-13-2016, 10:21 AM

Wow, that's grand. I learned something I didn't know before about everybody so far. But I did know about kassaundra's chicken clothing that I find remarkably odd and touching in equal measure. Actually I'm leaning toward touching. Poor little guys without feathers, and it's winter!
    Old 02-13-2016, 10:24 AM

I would so love to learn to swing dance, but I genetically have no musical / movement sense at all, no one on either maternal or paternal side do. I don't know my left from my right w/o looking (lt thumb and forefinger make an "L" shape). Many have tried to teach me very simple dance saying "they could teach me, it's a piece of cake" or "this one is so easy anyone can do it" but sadly they are proven wrong. (I mean I can barely clap in time to music)
    Old 02-13-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC
    Wow, that's grand. I learned something I didn't know before about everybody so far. But I did know about kassaundra's chicken clothing that I find remarkably odd and touching in equal measure. Actually I'm leaning toward touching. Poor little guys without feathers, and it's winter!
    I'm not home now, but I'll try and remember to post a pic or two of my nakeds, and their winter "duds" They actually HATE it when they have to start wearing clothes.
    Old 02-13-2016, 10:36 AM

Janice, this introduction idea was a really good one! I've been enjoying learning things about familiar names. I've had quite a few great laughs which I really needed about now (poor chickens). I still think we need a "Like" button on here. I could go down the pages and light them up!
    Old 02-13-2016, 11:47 AM

Like some of you, I sewed clothing first. When I had my business I quit altogether, no time, and then about 10 years ago I saw a quilt I just had to have. $400 later, brought it home and then it dawned on me that I could do that. I've been buying fabric and machines and anything else that I think I might use and quilting since then. I love to piece and come up with my own designs, I do have a long arm and quilt my own quilts, just do freehand here no computer for the long arm.
    My husband and I will be married for 20 years on Febr. 29, (hurrah I have an anniversary this year) I have 2 sons and he has 2 sons and 1 daughter. We have 11 grand children and 2 great granddaughters. I more grand child is on the way, due in July.
    We live in a very small rural town, 110 people, and are about 70 miles from Yellowstone National Park. Beautiful in the summertime and cold and snow in the winter. We may become snowbirds when Bill retires next November, he'll be the magic 65.....I'm already past that at 69.
    Old 02-13-2016, 11:55 AM

I've gone through some fabric and decided I need some help with new baby quilts. Here are the 3 fabrics that I picked out and have enclosed a note for each of you. For 2 of them I'd like white only and the "owl" one dark brown, which I did enclose a small sample of the shade.[ATTACH=CONFIG]542596[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542597[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542598[/ATTACH]Happy Valentine's Day ladies!!
    Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg  
    Old 02-13-2016, 01:56 PM

I see more fussy cutting opportunities!!!!

Jaba on the brown does it need to be solid or can it be tone on tone read as solid?

Last edited by Kassaundra; 02-13-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    Old 02-13-2016, 02:11 PM

I picked out my fabric today also, getting excited. I'm just trying to decide on a pattern/theme.
    Old 02-13-2016, 03:08 PM

Kass you'll be able to tell when you get my sample, if you get this piece. As long as it reads dark brown should be okay. To many other colors in it that this was the only true color to match. Thanks for asking and if you really want to work with this fabric I can put your name on a bag. Just let me know