Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed >
  • Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed

• Children's Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed

Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Joey laughed his socks off at the photos of Hammy - til the last one and he said 'phew, she's normal'! :mrgreen: :lol:

We're so glad you like it! :-D
    Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 AM
    Power Poster

Another awesome quilt :D:D:D Good Job!!!
    Old 12-16-2009, 06:15 AM

Fantastic quilts kids!!!! Look at all the work they put in. How fun.

I would love to host another one of these, perhaps in February or so...let me know if there's enough interest though. We'd need probably at least 10 kids to sign up...
    Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Alannah would love to do another one but February and March are so hectic, so we would have to sit February's out. (My baby starts high school on the 3 February). If there is one in April we would do that one. Our seasons are opposite yours so at the moment it's summer and we always seem to be busy.
    Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM

I've been watching the Children's Doll Quilt Swap with great interest. I was wondering how well children could sew. I have grandchildren 5 (boy) & 3(girl) and wondered when would be a good time to try and start them sewing when I'm visiting them. (we live 4 1/2 hours away)
    I'm amazed at what great little quilts these children have made. They are wonderful! GREAT JOB, KIDS!!!!!!!!
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
    Power Poster

It totally depends on the kids and what they are used to doing, the ones that do more arts and crafts tend to, in my experience, tend to have an easier time, but that is not to say that all the kids can't do it, I would gear it to what they are capable of and interested in doing. There are different styles as well, a lot of the kid ones were sewn and then turned as opposed to binding them, though with the two younger ones I helped them with the glue way that some use here on the board to make it easier to do it that way. even the 3 year old is capable of helping, just would require a little more hands on type of supervision. I am all for kids doing for themselves,
    Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM
    Power Poster

To start them I do hands on to teach them how to use a rotary cutter(not for a 3 yr old) and how to control fabric going through the needle. Then when they get the feel of it I let go and just help when needed.

When my kids and grands were little like 3 yrs old I used contact paper and peel off the back. Tape a piece about 10" square to the table(sticky side up) and let them stick scraps to the sticky side of the contact paper. It is a fun activity for them and they can play with designing their own quilt this way. This actually is fun for any age.They can add embellishments also like buttons but the buttons can't be too big or you need to add glue to get them to stay on. They could also add zippers and ribbons etc to the picture. It does take at least 24 hours or more for the contact paper to dry out. Ric rac is a great add on for this project.
    Old 12-16-2009, 04:34 PM

Great suggestions Rhonda, I'll remember to take contact paper with me the next time I'm at their home. I did have the 3 yr old use scraps of fabric and a glue stick to decorate a star shape on paper. she loved it. I've been saving my tiny scraps of fabric in a baggie for something like this. I think her 5 yr old brother might like to try it too. They like to use fingerpaints, but with a brush, not their fingers, so they have started onto crafts some what,as well as coloring and playing with playdough. If I lived closer, we might done have sone more crafts. I wasn't sure when to start with the sewing. Now I'll try.
    Coleen and Rhonda, I love the little quilts the kids made. Coleen, your daughter is quite a ham. I loved her pictures.
    Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
    Power Poster

Janis I did a whole mural for my son when he was a baby. We didn't have much money and I cut out fabric to create giraffes and lions and tigers and ABCs and stuck them on the contact paper. I made trees and made it look like a jungle.I hung this long mural behind his crib at the time. I got the idea from a magazine but it has a lot of uses where kids are concerned! My grands have enjoyed making collages out of my scraps and stuff.
    Old 12-16-2009, 04:43 PM

That sounds so cute. I'll bet he loved it.