Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Christmas Ornament Swap 2014 >
  • Christmas Ornament Swap 2014

• Christmas Ornament Swap 2014

Old 11-18-2014, 03:26 AM

MFay, it will get there, have faith. Waiting is the worst.

I cant say I remember where the kits came from but I do remember my Grandmother making some of the most stunning ornaments out of ribbons, beads, and such when I was a child. It was one of the things my Mother looked forward to the most at Christmas. Grandma always gave each family a new ornament that she had made. I can remember Mom being so careful to wrap those ornament up to protect them when Christmas was over. Once I became an adult I started to appreciate the work that went into those ornaments and have been trying to recreate some of them. Havent gotten to the level Grandma was but getting there. Those ornaments she made still hang on everyones trees every year and my Mother was even kind enough to pass some of them down to me.
    Old 11-18-2014, 05:13 AM

Green yarn-didn't think of that. Probably because I do not crochet or knit so don't have yarn around. Good idea RedGarnet222.
    Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 AM

Cooky, I remember my mom doing crafts from kits. I think they came maybe once a month. She also belonged to what she called a "homemakers club". That was in the 60's. The ladies would meet and I think they made crafts there too. They also put together a recipe book. She made the most wonderful pine cone wreaths. She used a wire wreath frame and wired each individual pine cone to it. They are a work of art. I have 3 of them now and always hang them at Christmas. Mom was happy then. When her and Dad moved to Florida, she started making ceramics. Of course, I have several ceramic trees. I treasure the wreaths and the trees the most. Sorry, I got a little carried away.
    Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 AM

I received my 2nd ornament yesterday, omacookie the little box told me to ask you if I could go ahead and open it? I think it wants out really bad Now it's got the 1st one from Coppell, TX asking too. They're trying to tempt me but I'll keep them closed.
    Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 AM

Lucky Lucky Me!! I got a brightly wrapped package from West Virginia on Saturday! It was wrapped in Rudolph paper! I love Rudolph! I don't care how old I get, I always like to watch it when it comes on TV!

So excited to open it!! Only 18 days to go!!
    Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by mdall
    Gonna be a long night. Its getting extremely cold outside and you guessed it the furnace has decided it doesnt want to work right. It will come on then it does not want to cut off. So, it shift time here at the homestead waiting for it to kick on, let it run for a bit, then fiddle with it to get it to shut off then repeat. I see two people having a very long day tomorrow after not sleeping much tonight.
    Sorry it picked this time to malfunction! I hope it is an easy fix. Our weather is nothing like folks are experiencing in the East/Midwest, but for southern NM it has been really cold. We have already had a hard freeze and we don't usually get that until Jan/Feb. Our heater decided to fritz on us, too, and had to be totally rewired and parts replaced (our house is 60 years old) so I feel your pain.

Somehow the cold seemed colder knowing the heater WASN'T coming on!
    Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 AM

Still waiting for my second ornament. At least my one ornament package is not lonely. It has my SS box to keep it company.
    Old 11-18-2014, 08:11 AM

Well, the furnace is running as long as we leave the front of it off. I cant figure it out. Put the front on it and no I dont want to work right, leave the front off and no problems. Thinking maybe it is getting to hot seeing as its so cold here it is running alot more than often. DH was up till about 3 this morning working with it when he made this strange discovery. Will continue to work on it when he gets home and if we cant figure it out then I guess well call someone in for it. Hating this as we are approaching Christmas and needing to save as much as possible. It figures, thats life one obstacle or another.

I also remember my Grandmother was a member of a Homemakers Club. I remember thinking what a bunch of fuddy duddies, you have nothing better to do than sit around with a bunch of women and collect recipes and such. LOL I guess that shows how much I knew as a child. Now I am the one doing it, the funniest part is some of the women in my Guild are the exact same women that Grandma used to gather with. They tell me stories of her. Sadly there is only a few of them left now. Makes me wish I would have had a greater appreciation of it when I was younger so I could have met more of Grandmas friends. Grandma is still here though and doesnt waste any time reminding me of how I thought that was so strange back then. LOL Gotta love Grandma.
    Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by ctyankee
    Just picked up a package labelled "No Peeking -- Ornament Swap." Very exciting! I promise to be good! Really!

Somehow I overlooked this post.
    Um, that sounds familiar....teehee...teehee..
    Though I don't know why I'm "teeheeing".. As I'm in the same boat, looking at unopened pkgs...lol
    Hope my other sp has received her "no peeking" pkg as well..
    Love looking at all the ornys, too!!
    K
    Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 AM

mdall, you might have him check the orifice. Sometimes they get a little clogged and the gas comes out it spurts. With the front on it doesn't get enough air to run. Ours did the same thing so hubby just cleans it every year now. Just a suggestion that might help and save a bill for you.