Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Christmas Ornament Swap 2014 >
  • Christmas Ornament Swap 2014

• Christmas Ornament Swap 2014

Old 11-18-2014, 08:49 AM

Mdall,

It's such a bummer when the heat starts acting up, a few years ago ours would not come on. It was a cold day in MN and it took a while for us to get to the top of the list to have someone look at it. Fortunately we had a oil space heater that kept part of the house warm and I lit all the oil lamps I had. House did not go below 63 so we were fine with sweaters. Hope yours is a quick and inexpensive fix.

My fun this morning was DH started to go to work, and he had 2 flat tires both in the back! I had to drive him to work, then back home to wait for the tow truck, so I was late for work. Flats in 9 degree temps are not good, but that's why I have AAA.

My mom was not the crafty sort unless it was crocheting afghans or knitting sweaters. But I have fond memories of Lee Wards, I even found I had some old yarn that still had a label from them, crochet fine when I made my dinosaur for the GS.
    Old 11-18-2014, 08:56 AM

klaws, my Mom also made pine cone wreaths! I'm thinking this was more around 1970. I can remember her and Dad pulling over to gather pine cones from the side of the road. Like your mother, she wrapped wire around each cone and attached to a wire wreath form. She wasn't a complainer but moaned about how sore her fingers were. She sprayed the wreaths with varnish and put a velvet bow on each. Sadly, they're gone now, but if I had to choose, I'm glad I have her ornaments instead.
    Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Forgot to mention, my son grab the mail ,we're in the car, he's ripping into a package thinking its his ebay stuff, I scream WAIT, were is that from, he turns it over says not open till Dec,6th, sorry mom "At least you didnt see it", So I'm setting here with a package opened ,that I can't peek into, this is a lesson in self control, I promise I haven't peeked. I explained I'm in aswap and he needs to be sure its his to open before he opens it, Talk about torture.
    Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 AM

Also my mom was in a club, sit and knit or sit and chat, I was little, so of course my Dad made up his own little name sit and sh**.I remember that so plain, fond memories, they even went to Canada to see a big band, I thought that was so Cool,my mom was out of the country, Detroit was an hour away, so a hop across the bridge wasn't much, but to a little kid that was huge.
    Old 11-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Don't remember my Mom ever being in a club....but I have a pine cone wreath my aunt made with pine cones my Pop-Pop (grandpa) collected while he was alive and well and had stored in the attic. Those pine cones have to be at least 50 years old.

The age is important because she made one for my mom too....and it got too dusty so my mom sprayed it off with her sink sprayer...and all the pine cones CLOSED UP !!!! The wreath almost fell apart - but she gently put it into her oven having warmed it up on the low setting - and the pine cones opened back up when they dried!! Cautionary tale for all of you with wired pine cone wreaths !!!!
    Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 AM

My wreaths have to be at least 50 years old also. I've never heard of pine cones closing like that. Very interesting! I've inserted lights in mine with also a big bow. Once I put one up, I will post a picture.
    Old 11-18-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by jaba
    mdall, you might have him check the orifice. Sometimes they get a little clogged and the gas comes out it spurts. With the front on it doesn't get enough air to run. Ours did the same thing so hubby just cleans it every year now. Just a suggestion that might help and save a bill for you.
    Thanks for the tip, I think he did clean it before we started running it but I will definitely mention it to him. You could be right. This morning I noticed I smell of dust burning off again so maybe that is the problem. Ill keep my fingers crossed and see. If not we will manage. We always do. We have a backup heater that we use when power is out and we run the generator so we will just use that if necessary. It does a well enough job for people to survive the night. After all the kids and DH are out all day and I like it on the cooler side anyway so I cut that one during the day instead of having to run the furnace at a higher temp. Thanks again for the advice.
    Old 11-18-2014, 10:32 AM

All of this is making me want to make a pine cone wreath. Considering how cold it is my DH is going to be so appreciative of the wonderful descriptions that formed this thought in my head. He would want me to give all of you a big THANKS for him. LOL You know, I have got to have one of the most amazing hubbies in the world because despite the 11 degrees outside with winds blowing almost constantly if I look at him and say I need pine cones for a wreath that wonderful man would walk out into the woods and get me some. Such an amazing man. With that said I do however think Ill wait till the furnace is functioning correctly before I mention it. We are expecting thing to warm up some over the weekend and since next week is hunting season and everyone will be in the woods anyway maybe Ill just mention it then. Would not want to stress DH to much. Heading into town later to drop son off at practice so will look for the wire and such then. This sounds like a great little project to work on with the kids over Thanksgiving break. Smile coming across my face as I think about it. I am such a sap for doing crafts with my kids and having everyone home to spend time with. Well off to work on some sewing. Will talk later ladies.
    Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Yipppeee, I have heard from every member of the group. All ornaments we be in the mail by no later than Thursday. I can now relax and just wait for them to arrive to their new homes. Almost half have made it there we are on our way to a great opening day. Now, who is bringing what for the hole on opening day. Yes, we will all be in the hole that day seeing as how we all need a little R&R and breather.
    Old 11-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by mdall
    All of this is making me want to make a pine cone wreath. Considering how cold it is my DH is going to be so appreciative of the wonderful descriptions that formed this thought in my head. He would want me to give all of you a big THANKS for him. LOL You know, I have got to have one of the most amazing hubbies in the world because despite the 11 degrees outside with winds blowing almost constantly if I look at him and say I need pine cones for a wreath that wonderful man would walk out into the woods and get me some. Such an amazing man. With that said I do however think Ill wait till the furnace is functioning correctly before I mention it. We are expecting thing to warm up some over the weekend and since next week is hunting season and everyone will be in the woods anyway maybe Ill just mention it then. Would not want to stress DH to much. Heading into town later to drop son off at practice so will look for the wire and such then. This sounds like a great little project to work on with the kids over Thanksgiving break. Smile coming across my face as I think about it. I am such a sap for doing crafts with my kids and having everyone home to spend time with. Well off to work on some sewing. Will talk later ladies.
    Michelle... you might want to pick up some inexpensive garden gloves....altho' maybe it won't bother your boys...but i do have to say that the wiring and the sharp edges of the pine cones ARE tough on the hands. You will want to dry them for a couple of days before you start so they are fully open.

Karen....yes....they close up naturally to protect the seeds inside from getting wet....but if i hadn't seen it i would never have believed that the closing "mechanism" would still be functioning 50 years later !! Maybe try wetting just 1 of the ones in your wreath just to see......tho i suppose if they have been spray sealed or varnished it would stop the process....???