Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Closed- Summer MerryGoRound Block Swap >
  • Closed- Summer MerryGoRound Block Swap

• Closed- Summer MerryGoRound Block Swap

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM

the pattern doesnt say how much fabric to buy. any body know?
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lady_Paquette
    the pattern doesnt say how much fabric to buy. any body know?
    Deb posted these figures earlier:

I figured out the yardage. All of these are based on 40 width of fabric. Background - 7.5 square - you will get 5 squares per row, need to cut three rows of 7.5 equals 22.5 inches: Plus 2-1/8 x 16 strips (two needed per block) - you will get two strips per row, need 24 strips, you will need to cut 12 rows of 2.5 (give yourself a little leeway) equals 30 inches. 30+22.5 = 52.5 ....1-1/2 yard should be good. For safety insurance you may want to get 1-2/3 yard for background. This blocks shows only two colors - so based on that - yellow - you will get 5 blocks per row, need three rows = 22.5 =2/3 yard needed, may want to get 1 yard for safety insurance. Blue - you will get 2 strips per row, need to cut six rows = 1 yard, but I would get 1-1/4 yard, again for safety insurance. Now, if you want to put in two colors (split the blue) 2/3 yard of two different colors, and if you wanted to split the yellow as well - 1/2 yard of two colors would be plenty.

1-1/2 yd- background
    For a 2 color pinwheel:
    Color 1- 1yard
    Color2- 1-1/4yard
    OR
    For a 4 color pinwheel:
    2/3 of TWO colors and 1/2 of TWO colors

Hope I read that right.

<3 Sheri
    Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 AM

And Island was having a concern about how hard it looked at first. Now she is turning them out right and left...That is why she is the leader of this swap!
    Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Sharon b and everyone else. It is really very easy if you follow the steps with the pictures. I love making them now. I was the same with the dresden plates and I made three sets on them. If I have enough background fabric I will do another one. The tri color one is for the swap. I have one with blueberries that I have to match to another fabric. But I
    could always use three colors again. If you make a sample block you will be amazed on how easy it goes together. Now get busy and just have fun!!!!
    Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Spoken like a true LEADER!!!
    Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Looking in on this one. I like Eleanor Burns quilt patterns, they do go fast once you follow the steps. I just finished my the top from the spring dresdan plate swap. Now to get quilted. If I get my UFOs for April done, will do this swap. but until then will pop in and say hi and watch you all show your beautiful work.
    Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks for re-posting. I feel silly now. I just clicked the link and typed. Sorry. This block reminds me of a "stack and wack(slash?)" So colors is a free for all as long as they match. Quilt store and pre-washing the fabric again like the churn dash?

Originally Posted by SheriR
    Deb posted these figures earlier:

I figured out the yardage. All of these are based on 40 width of fabric. Background - 7.5 square - you will get 5 squares per row, need to cut three rows of 7.5 equals 22.5 inches: Plus 2-1/8 x 16 strips (two needed per block) - you will get two strips per row, need 24 strips, you will need to cut 12 rows of 2.5 (give yourself a little leeway) equals 30 inches. 30+22.5 = 52.5 ....1-1/2 yard should be good. For safety insurance you may want to get 1-2/3 yard for background. This blocks shows only two colors - so based on that - yellow - you will get 5 blocks per row, need three rows = 22.5 =2/3 yard needed, may want to get 1 yard for safety insurance. Blue - you will get 2 strips per row, need to cut six rows = 1 yard, but I would get 1-1/4 yard, again for safety insurance. Now, if you want to put in two colors (split the blue) 2/3 yard of two different colors, and if you wanted to split the yellow as well - 1/2 yard of two colors would be plenty.

1-1/2 yd- background
    For a 2 color pinwheel:
    Color 1- 1yard
    Color2- 1-1/4yard
    OR
    For a 4 color pinwheel:
    2/3 of TWO colors and 1/2 of TWO colors

Hope I read that right.

<3 Sheri
    Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Yes prewash... My least favorite step! And actually for clarification, Deb did say we need 1-1/2yds background fabric, but MAY want 1-2/3 for safety insurance. I wanted to edit it above but there was no edit key so I think I didn't try soon enough.
    Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM

The first measurements I gave are for pretty accurate with a smidgen extra. I know we all make goofy cuts, so I usually get the higher amount. I would rather have a little more left over than be too short. 1-1/2 is enough for background but I like 1-2/3 as it allows for a little error now and then.
    Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM

I know Im being a pain but is it quilt store fabric again? (sorry) ^_^;