Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

• Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 AM

Wow Buddy - fantastic blocks!!!
    Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks ladies, Klue I know how you feel, some of these blocks are really tuff to make, the gal at the quilt shop may give me a hand when we do the sew along, ( what I mean by this is ahe will show me how to cut and piece them, she will not do them for me) She owns the shop!!!
    Old 09-13-2009, 11:19 AM

Buddy's mom those are some awesome blocks. I'm working on mine today and I have the 3rd set almost done.
    Old 09-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Love you blocks buddy's mom... you did an awesome job on them!!

I'm having issues with mine...it's applique' and I've tried 2 methods and am just about to try a third. The first method was turning under... but that left little frays on the points..the second method I tried was I kind of cheated and digitized the shape, cut it out, turned it and pressed.. but lost my points...I'm thinking of just using steam a seam, so I know I'll have points on these things...

I could just applique it on my embroidery machine, but then I'm afraid it'd have little pokeys...

Then on the simple block.. with the 9 patch and 2 squares... I had 1/4 inch seam all around... when I stitched the first block together, it came out 4.5...and I remeasured and did another one, same thing. So I ripped those out, (the 4 blocks) and made them come together with a very scant 1/4 seam.. in places it almost looks like 1/8" and now it measures 5", BUT the 9 patch looks wonky...

I'm just about to scream!!! this shouldn't be that hard, but it is...what am I doing wrong?
    Old 09-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Thanks Tuesy, Are you cutting out each piece? Can you PP? This four patch one shouls be able to be PP, and after you PP it you add the 1/4" seam all around and should go together perfect??
    Old 09-13-2009, 12:40 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by tuesy
    Love you blocks buddy's mom... you did an awesome job on them!!

I'm having issues with mine...it's applique' and I've tried 2 methods and am just about to try a third. The first method was turning under... but that left little frays on the points..the second method I tried was I kind of cheated and digitized the shape, cut it out, turned it and pressed.. but lost my points...I'm thinking of just using steam a seam, so I know I'll have points on these things...

I could just applique it on my embroidery machine, but then I'm afraid it'd have little pokeys...

Then on the simple block.. with the 9 patch and 2 squares... I had 1/4 inch seam all around... when I stitched the first block together, it came out 4.5...and I remeasured and did another one, same thing. So I ripped those out, (the 4 blocks) and made them come together with a very scant 1/4 seam.. in places it almost looks like 1/8" and now it measures 5", BUT the 9 patch looks wonky...

I'm just about to scream!!! this shouldn't be that hard, but it is...what am I doing wrong?
    What block are you working on? Maybe I can help. No promises but I can look at it and see if I know which one you are working on.

I think from the sound of it the nine patch jsut needs some prevention as you sew it together so it stays in straight lines. If it is the one with two 9 patches and two large square blocks then it is just a matter of measureing and making sure your seams are straight as you put it together. Some times those seams can get a little off and they aren't noticable til you get to the end. Then it is frustrating.
    I can show you ways to adjust if need be to keep your lines straight. Then everything should come out straight and not wonky.
    Old 09-13-2009, 01:08 PM

I would like to join the swap. I will pick M-12 and j-2
    Old 09-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Thanks ya'll for help....

Here's the 2 other blocks I'm attempting to do. The 9 patch one should be so easy.... I did strip piecing on the 9 patch part.. see how the middle block is a different size than the others??

On this applique' one it's just plain bugging me.. these are the ones that I digitized and then cut out and appliqued onto the block...I'm using mono filiment thread so if it looks like it's silver, it's not, it's clear..

Ooh, forgot to say, these are blocks E-10 and I-1
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-9971.jpe   attachment-9972.jpe   attachment-9973.jpe  
    Old 09-13-2009, 02:04 PM

Awesome job Buddy's mom!!

Tuesy, I think your blocks look great! The applique block looks perfect!
    Old 09-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Thank you bearpaw, I agree Tuesy, your blocks look great, love the colors together.