Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

• Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 09-17-2009, 11:00 AM
    Banned

i wanted to post a couple of pic that kinda show how i paper piece.

i've only seen tutes that have you cutting out each shape slightly larger than what you need and then placing it over the section and finally trimming it down.

i taught myself how to paper piece so i never learned to do it that way.

i'm more into saving time so i do what i call strip paper piecing and when you look at the pics you'll see what i mean.

i just cut strips of fabric that will cover the section and i place all the sections on the fabric and basically chain piece the block.

in the example i'm using one of my American Jane Blocks because it shows my idea better than my christmas jane blocks.

by doing it this way you don't spend tons of time cutting out shapes and trimming, and pressing - blah, blah, blah.

i don't press, pin, glue, anything like that. i can see right thru the paper so i don't need to worry about any of these things.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-52438.jpe   attachment-52514.jpe  
    Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Klue, I need a pattern for B4. Thank you. :D Nice way of paper piecing!
    Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by suzic46
    Klue, I need a pattern for B4. Thank you. :D Nice way of paper piecing!

thanks

PM me your email address
    Old 09-17-2009, 03:50 PM

[quote=kluedesigns]i wanted to post a couple of pic that kinda show how i paper piece.

i've only seen tutes that have you cutting out each shape slightly larger than what you need and then placing it over the section and finally trimming it down.

i'm more into saving time so i do what i call strip paper piecing and when you look at the pics you'll see what i mean.

i just cut strips of fabric that will cover the section and i place all the sections on the fabric and basically chain piece the block.

in the example i'm using one of my American Jane Blocks because it shows my idea better than my christmas jane blocks.

by doing it this way you don't spend tons of time cutting out shapes and trimming, and pressing - blah, blah, blah.

i don't press, pin, glue, anything like that. i can see right thru the paper so i don't need to worry about any of these things.

Klue,
    I need you to provide additional steps. I didn't get it.
    Old 09-17-2009, 04:40 PM
    Banned

[quote=Icandothat]
    Originally Posted by kluedesigns

Klue,

when i make more blocks i'll take more pics. do you know how to paper piece at all?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 PM

[quote=kluedesigns]
    Originally Posted by Icandothat
    Originally Posted by kluedesigns

Klue,

when i make more blocks i'll take more pics. do you know how to paper piece at all?
    I paper pieced the DJ F7 block from the pattern you forwarded. I was very impressed with the precision I got. I followed the outline based on the numbers and am sure I did it the way you said most tutorials suggest. I love to chain or strip piece so I would lile to learn your method. I am sure a few more pictures will help. I appreciate your patience.
    Old 09-17-2009, 05:22 PM
    Banned

i'm sorry if that came off rude i didn't mean it to be that way.

i ask because the hardest part about paper piecing is laying down the first 2 pieces and since you have a background it makes it easier to pick up this method.

i'll be making another block tomorrow and i'll take pics so you can see how i cut the strips and lay out the pieces.
    Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 PM
    Power Poster

Is this a good method of doing only one of a block?

It seems that if one was only going to do one, most any method would do.

I also got misplaced -
    Old 09-17-2009, 06:03 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Is this a good method of doing only one of a block?

It seems that if one was only going to do one, most any method would do.

I also got misplaced -
    even if you're doing one block it still saves time on cutting, pinning or glue and ironing.

most paper piecing methods have you cut out all the shapes slightly larger then what you need and then fold and trim to size once you stitched them on - when using strips this becomes 1 step instead of two.

then some of them want you to pin or glue the pieces in place so they won't slip when sewing - you don't need to do this at all when using strips.

then others have you use freezer paper and you have to iron in between each step - i don't do that either.

i don't iron in between each piece of fabric that i add on.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 PM
    Power Poster

seems efficient - probably like many things, once one gets the knack of it, it's pretty "easy"

l