Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

• Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM
    Power Poster

Janstar, yours look just fine (well, except for that 1 corner), :lol: but see...you already made that mistake, so the "real" blocks will come out just fine! :D

OK...got my baby quilt done and out of the way now, so started on L4 this afternoon. I did one PP...and did one rotary cutting and sewing...can you tell which is which???? I sure can :oops: ..so I think I've chosen my method of construction. :roll:

2 down...or maybe just 1...16/17 more to go on this one :lol:

2 tests for L4
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]38446[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-38446.jpe  
    Old 09-19-2009, 03:57 PM

Beautiful fabric Patti and I love your block. I can't tell which is which?? What method did you chose??
    Old 09-19-2009, 04:16 PM
    Power Poster

The one on the left was the rotary cut one. You can tell by the mismatched corner on the top left side. I am pretty sure that I actually PP'd this block faster than I did it rotary cutting and sewing...or course...I did have to use the seam ripper on both blocks... :oops:
    Old 09-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Here is the first triangle (RS12) that I've worked on most of the day. I printed the foundation pieces "mirror". Maybe by the time I get to #6 my rows will match better. I can see why you need more fabric to paper piece. I've done several paper piece projects and the one thing about this is just because the design is small your fabric pieces need to be alot bigger. It was harder to judge the size of fabric I needed. I don't remember having this issue with my other projects, but then I've never paper pieced a triangle. I've done triangles but they were part of a square block. This block is an actual triangle, very different in construction.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-9654.jpe  
    Old 09-19-2009, 04:33 PM
    Power Poster

Wow okie...great job! I'm duly impressed! I wanna be you when I grow up..can I???

On a more serious note, that really is a fantastic job you did. I can see why it would be much harder to judge how much fabric you will need to PP those triangles. Do you have the triangle template? It looks perfect. :D
    Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 PM

Yes I have the triangle, I don't see how you could "square" one or would that be "triangle" one without it. Last night I was thinking why am I doing this to myself. This morning I was still thinking the same thing. I'll be thinking that probably the whole time I'm making them. I'm going to join in on the cyper block party. I truly believe that anyone that completes this project will be a lot better piecer. I know I will. I generally just do follow the instruction quilts. This one really challenges me. I can truly say I better do this one right and in the colors I want because I will never do another one (complete) a block here and there for something else maybe. It's been a long time since I've been so excited about something. I don't have anyone around me that shares my passion for quilting, so sharing this project has special meaning to me. I just happened by the swap because I've never really wanted to do one. 'THIS IS GOING TO BE SO EXCITING" Thank you sandpat for your kind words, I call them words of encourgment.
    Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by okie
    I read you tutorial but I can't see the pictures. You place the paper on top of the fabric numbers, stitchlines,etc up. How is the fabric, I think you said right sides together. When I did that (I think thats how I did it) it comes out in reverse. I try to explain. The second second section from the top on RS12 the number 4 strip should be on top (longer) than strip 2. My 2 came out on top of 4. When I made one this morning and laid the paper face down, it came out right. I want to use the paper face up. When I'm not thinking about it it will probably work out right. I'm on the third section. I haven't added the ity bitty 1 from section 2 on yet. I'm still working on that as well. I hope to post a picture later today.
    i'm a little confused following this but it sounds to me like you had the wrong fabric on top and thats why its reversed.
    Old 09-19-2009, 06:07 PM
    Banned

pat

the block looks great
    Old 09-19-2009, 06:07 PM
    Banned

okie

i think the triangle looks awesome.
    Old 09-19-2009, 06:08 PM
    Banned

jan

your test block came out great, i didn't notice the switch right away until you mentioned it - i never pick up on those things right away.