Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

• Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 AM
    Banned

OQF,

here's a link where Marcus does overdyeing on the white strip it line to make pink strip it.

you could always do that

http://marcusbrothers.com/makeit/ide...201/index.html
    Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Klue, will any 5" square ruler work or does it have to be a DJ ruler? I wondered if there were any markings or whatever on it that we needed. Also, is medium weight muslin acceptable for the sashing? Joann's has it for $1.49 right now. It looks and feels ok? My Joann's does'nt have DJ software but I found it on the internet. Is it kind of easy to use? Not very good with computers, so wondered if I could handle it. I'm really excited about doing this cyber DJ. At least I'll finish it this way!!
    Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 PM
    Banned

any 5 inch squaring ruler would work for squaring the blocks.

i purchased the ruler set mostly because i wanted the triangle squaring ruler since no one else makes that kind of ruler.

i purchased it on ebay for 11.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dear-Jane-Tools-...item4148dd940c

medium weight muslin would be great for background and sashing but i've never purchased muslin from joann's before.

today i just rec'd a bolt of 58 inch PFD kona cotton from them and its the same the PFD kona cotton that i buy in NYC. plus i used a 50% off coupon.

not that PFD and muslin are the same but it is my first fabric order from them and the quality is spot on.

the software is like EQ lite making it much easier to learn and use. it comes with a book that has about 10 activities in it. you would do well to work thru those lessons and by the time you're done with them you'll be a pro with the dear jane software.

since you're going to be doing the entire jane quilt i strongly suggest you get the software and become comfortable with it - otherwise you'll be spending 2-3 hours a week tracing patterns from the book which will really eat into the time you have for sewing and you might fall behind from the group.

i'm going to offer prizes at the end of every 6 weeks to try and keep people on track with the schedule.

i'm going to enter the names of the people who finished all the blocks for that 6 week period into a hat and draw a name - that person will receive 4-6 FQs that i've hand dyed/inked/painted/marbled/etc.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
    Power Poster

:shock: PRIZES????? FREE STUFF???? SQUISHIES????? :shock: :shock: Are you setting up these bribes? You know we can't resist those things....we have NO...I repeat...No willpower! :lol: :lol:
    Old 10-09-2009, 04:38 PM

I think that is a wonderful idea and especially if I happen to be on the receiving end. I'm certainly going to try and have my name in the pot every 6 weeks. This is going to be so much fun and frustrating at the same time :P :(

I ditto want sandpat says, no willpower to be found
    Old 10-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Thanks Klue! The muslin looks and feels pretty good and it usually runs $1.99 a yard. I looked at the Kona muslin and it seemed abit thicker which they seem to discourage because of the seams not being able to be pressed nicely. 'They' being the DJ board that I've been reading. The bolt has 25 yds though. Guess I could use it for backing. I plan on using scraps with the muslin. Your prizes sound great! That will make us work harder!!
    Old 10-09-2009, 06:42 PM
    Banned

you'll always be able to find uses for the left over muslin, its also great for practice cloth - whether for blocks or quilting designs.
    Old 10-09-2009, 06:47 PM
    Banned

i figured fabric would be a major motivator to keep people on track.

as quilters, i think we strive for perfection and i really hope that people will move on from the block even though a corner is off or a seam is off - instead of spending an entire month working on one block.

this way, you'll just do the blocks and move on to the next one - save the "do overs" for the off weeks. this way you'll have some distance and can approach it fresh.

the prizes are based on completion not who makes the best blocks - just the people who finish the assignments.
    Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM

I ordered the DJ rulers on E-bay and I ordered the DJ software from Joann's last night. Do you have the address of the Translucent Foundation Paper Klue? I
    don't want to read thru all those pages for it. Thanks!
    Also, did you order more than 100 sheets?
    Old 10-11-2009, 04:21 AM
    Banned

i do a lot of paper piecing so i order anywhere from 300-500 sheets at a time.

i think for the jane quilt you'd need to buy 2 packs because you'll need more than 100 sheets.

here's the link for the paper for paper piecing

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1087