Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >
  • Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

• Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
    Banned

its impossible to disappoint anyone. this is a fun swap amongst other quilters.

we all know how much love and effort goes into every single stitch - each block will be loved and cherished.
    Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 PM

Nice blocks and fabrics Sharon. I agree - we all want to do our best, but at the same time, if something isn't perfect, my hope is that we will all appreciate the amount of time and effort and care that went into making the "imperfect" block. For some reason, this particular swap seems to bring out the best in everyone. Perhaps it's Jane - taking joy in her work and keeping the quilt "alive" so to speak!!
    Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 AM
    Power Poster

Sharon,the blocks look great! I like your fabric also for the next blocks. I'm not worried about "Perfect"...no one is ever that anyway. I say...just do the best you can, have fun and leave it at that!
    Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    she hasn't posted yet about how she made such perfect circles.

we're all awaiting her return - i'm sure the lurkers want to know too.
    I am curious too. I have d-11 and it is a very difficult block to do. I think I have an understanding with it now. It works or gets tossed so it seems to have started to work with me. However those little Diamonds are soooo tiny I have tried every method of applique i know and I am back to as Klue said before the pillow style but with regular thread. Tiny stitches so it will not fray and very very fine interfacing. The diamond is so tiny when you turn it over most of the interfacing is cut but it adds to the edges so they don't fray all apart. I will post some pictures later I will show the steps if you like. Cher
    Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by cheriffic

I am curious too. I have d-11 and it is a very difficult block to do. I think I have an understanding with it now. It works or gets tossed so it seems to have started to work with me. However those little Diamonds are soooo tiny I have tried every method of applique i know and I am back to as Klue said before the pillow style but with regular thread. Tiny stitches so it will not fray and very very fine interfacing. The diamond is so tiny when you turn it over most of the interfacing is cut but it adds to the edges so they don't fray all apart. I will post some pictures later I will show the steps if you like. Cher
    yes, please show the steps.

i was thinking i'd do one of the blocks with applique diamonds but when i printed the pattern out to see the size of the diamond shape - i said to myself maybe another time :oops:

i just order a new applique book called stitch, spritz, and sew - it seems like a similar method that i use with the dissolving thread except she says you don't need any interfacing.

if its a good book for jane applique i'll let everyone know.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by cheriffic

yes, please show the steps.

i was thinking i'd do one of the blocks with applique diamonds but when i printed the pattern out to see the size of the diamond shape - i said to myself maybe another time :oops:

i just order a new applique book called stitch, spritz, and sew - it seems like a similar method that i use with the dissolving thread except she says you don't need any interfacing.

if its a good book for jane applique i'll let everyone know.
    I will post on the next one. Yeah I tend to try the blocks I like and worry about difficulty later. After I started this I was determined to figure it out.
    I will post the applique steps I think I will wait for the block itself sew along seeing as I am the only one doing it for this round so far. What did we decide we were going to call it?
    That book sounds great I would love to know what you think of it.

Cher
    Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 AM

Cher,
    Please don't wait I'm working on a block now and could really use the help. :lol:
    Old 08-26-2009, 08:04 AM
    Banned

everyone seems to like the "block party" ideas from rhonda.

when i put up the thread in October announcing the project we'll vote on the name suggestions from rhonda and we'll all brainstorm the details to develop the final plan.

i really want intermediate people & people who work to feel like the Jane Project is within their reach.

i tend to push hard and work fast so i'll really need you guys to tell me when i've made things unrealistic.

when i was first putting thoughts together i had us doing 6-8 blocks a week and no time off for good behavior.

ESQ right away said it would be very hard for people to keep up and we need a break every now and again.

she was absolutely right and i really want people to toss out ideas and pull me back down to earth.

i'm an overachieving type A personality and 80% of the time i need a good slap back to reality.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 AM
    Power Poster

are you all planning to do the same blocks at the same time?

the easier/simpler ones could be done at a faster pace -

the more challenging ones could be spread out over a longer period -

are you going to do block "families"?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 AM
    Banned

the idea is to all be working on the same blocks at the same time - but some will be faster and other will be slower.

i plan on posting the entire block schedule for those that like to plan ahead - either with the technical stuff or with fabric choices - i just don't want anyone to feel blindsided or stressed out about whats to come next week/month.

i'll be working slightly ahead of everyone so that i can post pics/tutes/general thoughts - things like that.

we're not going by families. it will be by difficulty.

the idea is to open up easy for the first few weeks of jan.

then feb/march/april/may will be a mix of tech & difficulty

jun/july/aug is going to be easy so that people can enjoy summer

then sept/oct will be mixed tech & difficulty

nov/dec will be easy for the holiday season.

then anything that's left over will spill into Jan/Feb 2011 so we can finalize the quilt top and start on quilting ideas.

but like i said, this will be a brainstorming session because what i think is easy might be difficult for some others - take paper piecing for example, for me its a super easy process but others are just learning and would find the advanced paper piecing DJ blocks hard to do.