Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • DEC. fat quarter swap:  BATIKS! and side swaps too! sign ups close Dec. 1st >
  • DEC. fat quarter swap: BATIKS! and side swaps too! sign ups close Dec. 1st

• DEC. fat quarter swap: BATIKS! and side swaps too! sign ups close Dec. 1st

Old 12-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Brat,
    I've sewn very rarely with batiks myself. I just love how they look and feel..
    And eventually I'll make an entire something or other with them.
    As of now, I use them here and there in my applique..or as sashing..

And, I'm sorry but I don't believe you ruined whatever you were making with them..
    There's no batik sewing rule that I know of.

Hugs,
    Kif
    Old 12-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Smile

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502346[/ATTACH] Received my lovely batiks from Kiffie yesterday!! Look at those-I know some are not into them but my son thinks they awesome! Thanks again for trading with me!!
    Attached Thumbnails 1212141615.jpg  
    Old 12-13-2014, 07:46 PM

I'm happy he likes them, and glad I had the extra skull fabric.
    Looking at your pic, I see now where the fq that was sitting on my ironing area should be.. I usually send a couple extra, and instead of 7, I count 6 in the pic.

Ladies,
    Bullock2us' son said I was "awesome for sending awesome fabrics.".
    I must say, for a soon to be 50 year old Grammy, it brought a smile to my face to be called "awesome"..lol

Bullock2us,
    I've found 2 of the flames fabrics. I'll go through and find the other, as well as see what else I have that may work for your "awesome" son's quilt. I will also tuck in the errant fq I found..shame on it for hopping out of your pkg before I sealed it!
    Will mail you out a pkg this coming week.
    Kif
    PS I love what you sent me as always!
    Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 AM

Now that is a hip grandma sheesh! I fall in the old school grandma. you cant have it. period. (mean and evil yup that is me) .. I have done however a very 'stoner' like quilt for my young son who wanted a quilt that was black with bright colors and felt like Jamaica. oh dear lord and he still loves those colors today. Nothing subtle for him. so its personal taste and I think you just have to go with it. Heck making that apron with day of the dead skulls with roses and such on them for my sister. she is 59. I am not happy with the fabric at all she approved it completely in love with it so I thought go with it. for some reason its taking me weeks. its an APRON! what is wrong with me? like if I come up with five projects to do today.. I put that last each and every time. sigh. get on it loafy boat! sheesh!

thinking valentines (weird I know). cute novelties, pretty novelties, love birds, and flowers and reds of all shades and pinks oh pinks and cool creams and whites with patterns on them. tone one tones.. see I bet you have something that is valentine ish in your stash

mug rugs: your chance at working on a new little pattern! pinterest has a ton of them on their website pictures to ogle.. oh yeah. see if your bored and done with Christmas well this is your chance to get a move on the next holiday.

oh yes and my friend Tlambing has a mini wall hanging swap which simply means under 12.5 inches or so (give or take lol) and the things everyone creates there is imaginative and a joy to look at so make sure you check out her sign ups for January also. go back see what others have done before .. I am sure you fit in nicely.
    Old 12-14-2014, 08:46 AM

ps I will be doing a valentines mug rug swap first of January is the start date so watch for sign ups after Christmas!
    Old 12-14-2014, 10:38 PM

Kandy, eeewww! I just gave away a huge yardage of desert bones. Should have saved it for you. I couldn't stand it anymore. tteeeee heeee. Your quilting buddy, Ellie
    Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 AM

Sweet Ellie,
    I don't want nor need any more skull fabrics...lol...
    But, desert bones, as in cow skull, southwesty-ish ??
    Like for a quilt maybe themed around the Texas plains area???
    Hmmm...sounds interesting, and you know I NEED more fabric, yes I surely do!! Lol..

I bought and used the Tonga Sugar Skulls batiks for a quilt I made for a friend. She loves all things "Dia de los Muertos". (Day of the Dead). And the other fabric is one I also used in a Harley Davidson quilt for my brother.
    I just bought too much of each fabric. Figured I will make something else some day, or sell them. They sell for quite a bit on EBay. Or, swap them, if anyone wanted to..And so far 2 people have.
    I love the colors in them, and I'm not opposed to the skulls.
    You know I always say,
    "If everyone liked the same things what a dull world it would be!".

Your quilty sis,
    Kan
    PS I think I have some spider web batiks....just sayin'...

Last edited by kiffie2413; 12-15-2014 at 01:02 AM.
    Old 12-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Dear Kifasaurus I hope you find a home for those skull fabrics. not mine however. blicko big time. I know cause I have some right here I am working on and still not done. its a darn apron. how can it take so long? like two seams a day and I feel proud .. then three days off cause I cant think of working on it again and two seams,, a week break.. this thing will never get done lol.

I hope your all busy working on marvelous gifts and you can share them with me, oh oh lol you can share them with all of us on the board here who need good ideas. are you baking cookies? favorite one you make for everyone? why not tell us. I live so far from really anyone so if I bake I bake for steve and well.. not super excited about baking right now. sigh. lazy bones what you going to? how you gonna get a days work done? sleeping like a dog, sleeping like a dog.. (some old song from the 30's or 40's) it fits me to a T. sigh. I would sincerely love a bucket of energy so fed x it right up to my house ok? This week is special week for me. I go to Billings one more time but this time its with the transplant team from Colorado. I hope they can help me and have more positive news. cross your fingers with me. what the heck its worth hoping for!
    Old 12-15-2014, 09:38 AM

Have all my fingers and toes crossed Linda! All good news, All good news.

I baked 3 different types of biscotti yesterday. German Chocolate cake....Orange Cranberry and Triple Chocolate Almond. I may have to do a lemon today And then drizzle them with ooze. We will give these to our business accounts for the holidays.
    Also thinking about doing Coconut brittle!
    Old 12-15-2014, 03:29 PM

ok Tlambing send me your biscotti recipe and I will share with you mine. I make one with chopped almonds and apricots and apricot liquor dipped in white chocolate. I am always open for more!

oh darned just re read it coconut brittle? need that one too. make mine with just peanuts but thinking coconut and almond or coconut and macadamias would be ohhh so good .. grin. I am feeling the need now to try new things. see how good these posts are?

last but not least check out the last two pages of my mug rug swap. you wont believe the ideas! tlambing if you could tomorrow pretty please sugar and spice copy those photos for me onto one page or two so I can share with with others? she is magic with that stuff.