Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • December Secret Pal Sign Up Closes 11/30 noon CDT >
  • December Secret Pal Sign Up Closes 11/30 noon CDT

• December Secret Pal Sign Up Closes 11/30 noon CDT

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM

okay i am just taking the position of an adverse advocate (fka devil's advocate) here just for discussion purposes. say you were to receive a swap that you didn't particularly "like", what would be the proper response? or say you received one that reflected the sender did not read your template and just sent things, none of which you want, like or can use, how would you respond? the rules only state that you need to send 3 pm's to participate, the rest is pretty much up to the recipient/sender, right?

what is the proper etiquette or protocol in these situations? i know many are just super busy or traveling this month, but what about the other 10 less busy months of the year? just curious & no harm meant at all.

most of the sp's i have received the last year i have participated in this swap don't post replies nor pics on the thread. my solution is to thank my sp's in pm and on the thread, post pics, and for the things i cannot use or that's not my taste i will regift. i encourage my sp's to do the same with the things i send to them, handmade or otherwise. to me there is always a solution. your thoughts?
    Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 AM
    Banned

For me even if I do not particularly like an item I will try my best to
    make use of it. IF though it is something that I KNOW that I will never
    use I put it in my "swap box" with a note on it saying WHO it was that
    sent it to me so that I can make sure NEVER to end up sending it back
    to them.

My "swap box" is just a cardboard box that I have set up to "hold" the
    things I come across that I want to at some point include into a swap
    such note pads, patterns, fabrics, machine needles, various other sewing
    and/or quilting notions etc. If I buy some fabric that I truly love and "think"
    that maybe someone else might enjoy it also I buy extra (if possible) and
    put some of that into my swap box.

I TRY to make sure I say "thank you" to the person who sent me something
    and if possible post pictures to share with everyone (I love to share what
    I receive no matter how big or small it is that is why I started the RAK list).

I would NEVER intentionally hurt anyone's feelings if I can avoid it, and I DO
    HOPE that is I did that person will be sure to let me know, there is nothing
    I dislike like more than having someone upset with me for maybe hurting
    their feelings when I am not aware I did it.

This is just MY opinion, feelings and thoughts. It does not mean that I HAVE
    (since I joined the swaps here) received items I did not like, I am just saying
    how/what I would do if I did. So far I have been pretty darn lucky.

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    okay i am just taking the position of an adverse advocate (fka devil's advocate) here just for discussion purposes. say you were to receive a swap that you didn't particularly "like", what would be the proper response? or say you received one that reflected the sender did not read your template and just sent things, none of which you want, like or can use, how would you respond? the rules only state that you need to send 3 pm's to participate, the rest is pretty much up to the recipient/sender, right?

what is the proper etiquette or protocol in these situations? i know many are just super busy or traveling this month, but what about the other 10 less busy months of the year? just curious & no harm meant at all.

most of the sp's i have received the last year i have participated in this swap don't post replies nor pics on the thread. my solution is to thank my sp's in pm and on the thread, post pics, and for the things i cannot use or that's not my taste i will regift. i encourage my sp's to do the same with the things i send to them, handmade or otherwise. to me there is always a solution. your thoughts?
    Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
    My package was received by my secret pal I don't know why she didn't post that she got it, maybe she didn't like what was it in.......Do I sound pitiful enough yet? lol
    Been there. Done that. Smile and move on. In the end it's all good.
    Old 12-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Default Merry Christmas

I won't be back on this thread until after Christmas and didn't want to forget to wish you all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 AM
    Swap Hosts

Havplenty, I think the best thing to do is to post a photo and thank the sender. Some are better than others at reading and thinking about the package they will send. I know that I almost made a horrid faux pas a few months ago. I guess I was in a rush and not absorbing what I was reading. My SP truly disliked butterscotch. So what did I do? I bought a truck load of butterscotch! I'm not crazy about it either but fortunately our fearless leader, Lori, likes it so I sent it to her. Just glad I caught myself in time. Many are suffering economically. These are tough times indeed and perhaps the sender could only send what she could send. As my mama taught me, it's the thought that counts.
    The most important thing of all is to be kind and be sure to say thank you no matter what you get. There is always something wonderful to be said about every little thing in each package.
    Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
    I did get a nice pm from her, but am just curious as to why she didn't post to say she received on the thread, she is probably very busy with Christmas stuff. But I don't want tolook like I didn't send mine out!!! LOL i did really!
    Uh-huh. I bet ya did.LOL I don't understand not doing the 3 little PMs It only takes a few seconds each. I'm glad we are moving on to Jan.Mary
    Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM
    Power Poster

I recieved something in one of my swaps,(not going to say or show what it could be)that I still don't know what it is or what to use it for.It's got very pretty fabric and is homemade. I wouldn't part with it for the world. It was from a beginner sewer.I am proud that this person felt secure enough to send it to me. I use it as a puzzle opener. What is a puzzle opener? Well ya ever get stuck on making something? Can't quite figure something out? Well I look at my puzzle opener snd try to figure out what it is.In the mean time my mind is off my problem and I can figure out what I need to do.It just takes my mind off of a problem so I can start over with a fresh open mind.It usually works for me.Oh NO Now Everyone will want one!!!!.lol Everyone have a good day. Mary
    Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM

Don't feel bad I didn't recieve a thankyou or notice from 1 Nov. partner!!! I even P.M'd her !!!!! Still nothing I say HOW rude!!!
    Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
    I recieved something in one of my swaps,(not going to say or show what it could be)that I still don't know what it is or what to use it for.It's got very pretty fabric and is homemade. I wouldn't part with it for the world. It was from a beginner sewer.I am proud that this person felt secure enough to send it to me. I use it as a puzzle opener. What is a puzzle opener? Well ya ever get stuck on making something? Can't quite figure something out? Well I look at my puzzle opener snd try to figure out what it is.In the mean time my mind is off my problem and I can figure out what I need to do.It just takes my mind off of a problem so I can start over with a fresh open mind.It usually works for me.Oh NO Now Everyone will want one!!!!.lol Everyone have a good day. Mary
    That sounds like a wonderful thing to have! I sure hope whoever made it will make and send some more!
    Old 12-22-2011, 09:20 AM

my enternet is being realy stupid i recived a awasome package from Regina Muli last night.. i have been trying to post pic's of it all and now it worked so here is what i got....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]297067[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]297073[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]297075[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]297076[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dec-sp-2011-1-.jpg   dec-sp-2011-2-1024x768-.jpg   dec-sp-2011-3-.jpg   dec-sp-2011-4-.jpg   dec-sp-2011-6-.jpg  

Last edited by barefoot quilter; 12-22-2011 at 09:34 AM.