Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • December Secret Pal Sign Up Closes 11/30 noon CDT >
  • December Secret Pal Sign Up Closes 11/30 noon CDT

• December Secret Pal Sign Up Closes 11/30 noon CDT

Old 12-10-2011, 02:05 PM

those of you on this thread who embroider i have questions for you. i went to an estate sale and this woman had lots and lots of thread for sale. the thread was priced rather high to me and others at the sale so a lot of it is still there but then again a lot of it has been sold also.

my question is what is a good price for embroidery thread? one of the sellers got testy with me today when i mentioned they needed to package at least the used spools together and put a price on them. what they are doing is guessitmating a price once you go to check out. they are selling the thread by the spool. there are some plastic boxes of thread that are priced $150-$200+ with about 58 spools to a box in just about every imaginable color. is that a good price for embroidery thread? the specialty threads have all been purchased i believe but there was so much thread there.

here are some pics to give you an ideal of what i am talking about. i may go back tomorrow to see what's shaking.[ATTACH=CONFIG]294584[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]294585[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]294586[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails thread.jpg   3954793.jpg   3954794.jpg  
    Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Got my package today from Joann ( Greenini) What a great package and a really nice long note... She sent Crave glove and I have been looking at them and hadn't bought yet... Fon's and Porter Pin set and a couple FQ's and Charm squares
    things to use as decoration, water soluble pen...Going to try a pictures....Guess they didn't work will try the other camera, think mine are to big in the one camera...
    Old 12-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Let me try again
    Attached Thumbnails dscn0105.jpg   dscn0106.jpg   dscn0107.jpg  
    Old 12-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gigi07

YES!!!! That is very thoughtfull I would love that even in a swap...
    Yes, I love working with triangles. If it were in a secret pal swap, it would be welcome.
    Old 12-10-2011, 02:55 PM
    Banned

Mary

Pricing on embroidery thread has MANY variables such as:

NEW (still has original wrap or unused)
    Used how old and how much is left on the spool
    Brand name (Madeira, Floriani, Robinson & Anton, Isacord and many others
    plus the no major brand name like Thread Art, and many others)
    Is it polyester, rayon, metallic, twist, or varigated
    How big are the spools

But embroidery thread can go from $1.65 per spool of polyester Thread Art
    (1000 yds) and up depending the the brand and amount per spool.

I LOVE Floriani thread, but the Floriani METALLIC thread is $16.99 PER
    880 yard spool. Can you say OUCH!!!!!!! so I only buy that when it is
    either buy 1 get 1 free, buy 2 get 1 free, or 50% off per spool. Floriani
    is an AWESOME brand as is Madeira, Thread Art brand is ok, but it is NOT
    the best I have more trouble with it on my machine than I do with the
    better brands.

Those JUMBO spools (in last picture bottom shelf) are about 5000 yard spools
    they too vary in price by brand, and for ME I do not like those big spools because
    they are harder to "control" and do not fit on the machine thus meaning you are
    probably better off having a "thread" stand that sits behind your machine to hold
    that large of a spool.

I agree that ALL used spools should be sold separately from the new unused
    spools. Some people just do not have a clue as to how to price some items.

I know that my answers are not quite as clear cut as you may have hoped
    for but it is big variable "game" to figure.

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    those of you on this thread who embroider i have questions for you. i went to an estate sale and this woman had lots and lots of thread for sale. the thread was priced rather high to me and others at the sale so a lot of it is still there but then again a lot of it has been sold also.

my question is what is a good price for embroidery thread? one of the sellers got testy with me today when i mentioned they needed to package at least the used spools together and put a price on them. what they are doing is guessitmating a price once you go to check out. they are selling the thread by the spool. there are some plastic boxes of thread that are priced $150-$200+ with about 58 spools to a box in just about every imaginable color. is that a good price for embroidery thread? the specialty threads have all been purchased i believe but there was so much thread there.

here are some pics to give you an ideal of what i am talking about. i may go back tomorrow to see what's shaking.[ATTACH=CONFIG]294584[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]294585[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]294586[/ATTACH]
    Old 12-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
    Louise cute picture. Is the yellow cord so you can charge kiko back up?lol Mary
    Mary I saw the same thing and had to laugh!
    Old 12-10-2011, 03:35 PM

louise the thread in the containers is all brand new and name brand but i cannot remember what brand. there was a color scale chart enclosed with the containers. it looks like seller bought every color on the scale. i would not buy any used rolls of thread for resale. how old the thread is i cannot answer that. some of the spools were individually marked from $4-$9.99 per spool (that i could see) and a lot of it is rayon as someone else bought all of the specialty thread including the metallics. there are many varigated spools also.

i may take a look tomorrow and see what they do with the prices. i am sure it will sell on ebay.

okay some of the brand names of the thread are: dmc, mettler and yli (the varigateds).

Last edited by Havplenty; 12-10-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    Old 12-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Hav, that sounds a bit high to me too, but I know how people are at estate sales, they're blood suckers trying to make a mint off the death of their loved one. I have seen my brothers neighbors kids literally fighting over things and the poor man wasn't even dead yet. I consider "estate" sales to be the same as yard sales and expect to pay the same as well or I keep going. If they want to get rid of the stuff, they'll come down, keep it or trash it. This is why I try and avoid those kind of sales.....blood suckers I tell ya!....JMO too!
    Old 12-10-2011, 03:45 PM
    Banned

I found some embroidery thread on Amazon that I have been
    thinking about getting, but I am not sure HOW good it is and if
    I will end up "fighting" with it on my machine. But it is 260 spools
    for $118.

I have ALWAYS heard that Estate sales tend to be "higher" priced
    and many times the items being sold may or may not even sale
    in a yard sale, but I have no first hand knowledge as I have never
    been to one myself.

louise the thread in the containers is all brand new and name brand but i cannot remember what brand. there was a color scale chart enclosed with the containers. it looks like seller bought every color on the scale. i would not buy any used rolls of thread for resale. how old the thread is i cannot answer that. some of the spools were individually marked from $4-$9.99 per spool (that i could see) and a lot of it is rayon as someone else bought all of the specialty thread including the metallics. there are many varigated spools also.

i may take a look tomorrow and see what they do with the prices. i am sure it will sell on ebay.

okay some of the brand names of the thread are: dmc, mettler and yli (the varigateds).
    Old 12-10-2011, 04:23 PM

i have gotten some great finds at estate sales. this particular company's prices are just high and the workers have not so nice attitudes to go along with their prices. this woman had a sewing business for sure because she had about 14 sewing machines along with all of this thread, sewing needles that were $40 a pack(wow), but overall they will come down on prices or not do justice to this women's estate. my friend and i found a large set of waterford crystal goblets for $600 which is a very good price. keep them in mind you never know what you may find.

Originally Posted by mscupid804
    Hav, that sounds a bit high to me too, but I know how people are at estate sales, they're blood suckers trying to make a mint off the death of their loved one. I have seen my brothers neighbors kids literally fighting over things and the poor man wasn't even dead yet. I consider "estate" sales to be the same as yard sales and expect to pay the same as well or I keep going. If they want to get rid of the stuff, they'll come down, keep it or trash it. This is why I try and avoid those kind of sales.....blood suckers I tell ya!....JMO too!