Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Down on the Farm: Theme Swap - OMG! SEE PG. 74 >
  • Down on the Farm: Theme Swap - OMG! SEE PG. 74

• Down on the Farm: Theme Swap - OMG! SEE PG. 74

Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 AM

To all quilters...If you are enjoying making the blocks, giving and receiving the blocks and making the different blocks into quilts and other fabric crafts, you are doing this right. If your guts are in a panic and you are worried your work isn't 'good'nough', please reevaluate. We are a group of friends with skills from all different levels and styles. My experience is we all enjoy watching each other grow and change. We want to make friends and have fun.

Please join in. Ask questions, take risks (we do all the time). If you try something and it just doesn't turn out the way you want, laugh and set it aside. Try something else. After a while, the block will call you back and let you know how to add, subtract - whatever - to make it great.

Benjamin Franklin was once asked if he got frustrated during the 500 failed attempts at a lightbulb. Franklin's response was "No sir, each time, I learned another way how not to do it. Out of the millions of possibilities, I had once again identified one that didn't work."

How many times does a baby try to take those first steps. Does he get discouraged and stop trying? Well frustrated a bit maybe, but he never stops trying. And neither should new quilters. We all do better with experience and PRACTICE!

I hope I can safely say that the majority (if not all) of the members here appreciate your attempts. We enjoy your new 'take' on quilting. You give us fresh perspective and new ideas. You are safe here, My mistakes are loved and welcomed as part of the 'swap' process. If you want help or suggestions, just ask. Never feel small or insignificant. Without your contribution, my quilt is short squares as well as personality.

The most any of us can do is our best. After that, just smile, laugh, sip a cup of tea and enjoy a nap. I'm glad you are here and so are all the other quilters. Let's be friends. Gwyn
    Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 AM

hey Moosegirl..Its called Americana and those 2 people look like my sister and her husband. (They are farmers in Illinois). I am glad she is not on this forum.lol
    Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM

Well said, Gwynn. Not all blocks will be "perfect"; not all color choices would be what you might have made on your own, but any quilts created from the exchange will have lots of love and laughs sewn into it. And maybe you will see something in a new and different way.
    Old 01-13-2010, 09:09 AM

I could not find it but remembered something about two different farm things. Like a turkey and something else. Just so I don't mess something up that all I care about. Think maybe I should go through each swao and see if I see my name.
    Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 AM

The painting is "American Gothic," by Grant Wood. (Yea! I used my art degree finally! Haha!)
    Old 01-13-2010, 09:39 AM

LOL @ BRT! All those tutition $ to answer trivia questions!
    Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM
    Banned

I am doing the SunBonnet Sue block, what does everyone think of this? I would embroider a Sun Bonnet Sue that is about 4 inches in size on a 8.5 muslin piece and add John Deere borders or other fabric to make 12.5. Would that look funny. Still in the planning stages. I just don't like the other SBS.
    Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM

That would be cute & you could make her dress out of denium & let the edges fray. Give her a real country girl look.
    Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gwyn
    To all quilters...If you are enjoying making the blocks, giving and receiving the blocks and making the different blocks into quilts and other fabric crafts, you are doing this right. If your guts are in a panic and you are worried your work isn't 'good'nough', please reevaluate. We are a group of friends with skills from all different levels and styles. My experience is we all enjoy watching each other grow and change. We want to make friends and have fun.
    Well put, Gwyn.
    Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Gwyn, your encouragement is golden. There is no competition here, just friendly exchanges.