Fall 2016 I Spy Swap

Old 12-21-2016, 04:01 PM

Yes I would be interested in doing that. I was lucky I had a friend with an amazing stash who was looking to get rid of fabric. I just don't have enough kid stuff to do it again but I could go out and buy one really good fabric.

mrshalibut

Old 12-21-2016, 06:00 PM

I would be willing to participate in that swap. That would take at least 20 swappers to work. I think we only had 16 last time.

What if it doesn't make?

We've just started with a new hostess doing "I spy" swaps. Can we sustain 2 different swaps going on at the same time?

What's being proposed is pretty much like the ABC swap, where you take a letter and make 26 squares, which are swapped.

Could we combine your idea with the ABC swap, where each person picks a letter and makes 26 squares? It would take 26 swappers or people taking more than one letter.

With more thought, with what you are proposing, we end up with 20 different squares. That won't make much of a quilt. We have been swapping 80 or 160 squares, which is enough to make something.

On second thought, other than an ABC swap, maybe it's not such a good idea.

bk

Last edited by bkay; 12-21-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: More questions
Old 12-21-2016, 06:25 PM

I'm not sure there really is enough interest to have 2 groups going at the same time. I don't mind swapping either way though it does take more fabric doing separate bags.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:40 PM

Let me clarify: each baggie would contain 20 squares of the same fabric, but you could send up to 6 bags. That's only 6 different fabrics you would have to buy to receive 120 different squares. It was done this way previously.

We could require only 15 squares per baggie, cutting down the number of participants needed.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes. If there is a brand new hostess and she wants to continue, that's fine. I just know that the reason the rules changed is because it was so much work the other way. I am willing to do the work, so if there are enough people who don't wish to buy 10 fabrics every time, I would love to host.

Just a possibility...
Old 12-28-2016, 03:49 PM

There are a lot of different ways to do the swaps - I just picked up from where it was and continued on. However, we can try the set amount of same squares and see if it generates more interest. I have looked back in the archives in the past and there were at one time a lot of participants. I have thought about sending out a questionnaire and see where the interest lies. Some of you who have been on here a long time - is there a way to do it? I know how to do one with a google form - might just do that with a link on the board and PM's. Sound good? I am open to running a democracy and not just a mono-theory! LOL

Hope everyone had a nice holiday - and Moonrise - your coin purses are really cute!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:58 PM

Thanks rbwiese for being so flexible.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:35 PM

I would be interested in trying a new swap.

From what I understand...

If I send in one baggie of 15 squares of the same fabric, I will get back one baggie containing 15 different squares.

If I send in five baggies, each with 15 squares of the same fabric, I will get back 5 baggies, each with 15 different squares.

And so on.

The number of squares per Baggie needs to be pre-determined by the total number of interested participants.

Sound right?
Old 12-29-2016, 04:06 PM

Pinkflowers - you are right.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:35 PM

OK - have had a minute to create a questionnaire. Click on link to get form. I can collect the answers from here and give a bit of privacy if wanted.

https://goo.gl/forms/yNvF9asrV5Q67Jx93
Old 12-30-2016, 05:51 PM

Thanks to those who have responded to the questionnaire. I have gotten a lot of good feedback. I did edit the Jar Swap to say bags of 5 fabrics. It would be like the current swaps where one could send in multiple bags and get more in return. Seems like the multiple amounts of one fabric has a lot of interest. Might do that next time and see if we can get a larger group. Many people don't have 10 different fabrics to be able to participate. Plus if ordering many places require 1yard purchases.

hope all of you had a great Christmas and haven't overdosed on football!