Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Fall Block Swap/So a new adventure begins. >
  • Fall Block Swap/So a new adventure begins.

• Fall Block Swap/So a new adventure begins.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:01 PM

I'm mailing 8 blocks today Judith. If I can mail an extra block, I will, tick tock!
    Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 PM

Armylady,

I bought that book several years ago I think for $2 when I worked at Border's Book Store. It makes only 6" Blocks. I have not been very happy with it though. Almost all the measurements are weird. It's called 200 Quilt Blocks to mix and match By: Davina Thomas

My favorite Block guide is called 102 Quick and Easy Block Tool. It gives you a chart for 5 different sizes of the same quilt block. I use it a lot. It's put out by C & T Publishing. It's a weird oblong size Book/Cards. I got it off of Amazon.

And, a couple of times a year, Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks comes out. I try to pick up those magazines only. I figure, if I can make a block, I can make a quilt. I think they are around Vol. 15. But, I know you can buy the book off of Amazon right now that is called Quiltmaker's 1000 Blocks. It is the first 10 magazines they put out. I find some really great blocks in those!

And, of course, quilterscache.com has 100's of free quilt block patterns.
    Old 07-11-2017, 02:13 PM

Super K-Roll. I will let you know when they arrive. I will wait for the to come before I swap out. I'm also waiting on another set as well. So, no probem! And, one person, I have heard nothing from other then to sign up. I have to assume that she decided not to participate. (Which is also fine.)
    Old 07-11-2017, 02:21 PM

Thank you so much Judy I really appreciate the information, I really want to learn as much as possible about quilting and all the different block patterns that is out there.
    Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Okay, Try #2, Not an epic fail, But, I'm still going to loose 3 points. I may try it one more time tomorrow. But, also thinking, I may use this one. And, the size is now 9 1/2" sq. (yeah, not so good at monkeying with dimensions. ) lol

Old 07-11-2017, 05:41 PM

If you want this block it would be so much easier to draft a paper pieced pattern. Your points would be perfect here is the order you would sew in. [ATTACH=CONFIG]576338[/ATTACH]
    Originally Posted by Judith1005
    Hey all, I wanted to share my epic fail with you. I made this block for my quilt. It is appx. 6 1/2" sq. I will not be using it in my quilt. I followed the directions with all these weird cuts. It's a bit smaller then 6 1/2" sq. But, every single point will be cut off! I should have known better, look at the picture in the book....just about every single point is cut off in the sample piece that is in the book!

I am going to try it one more time. I adjusted the cuts just a bit bigger. I guess we will see what try #2 will bring. I'll post it when I finish.
    Attached Thumbnails a0.jpg  
    Old 07-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Judith, mailed 2 sets - but without an extra block - just a fat quarter in a fall color
    'Finished is better than perfect' & 'Mailed is better than good intentions' - didn't want to wait one more day.

The blocks produced by all of you are goals to me: to be able to turn out blocks as stunning, creative, and precise.

Armylady, bravo to you for being willing to take on the next swap.
    Here's an idea to throw into the ring: met a lady who as a young girl had been sent to a Japanese internment camp with her family, She was showing me some of her drawings. There are scenes from the camp, and what I guess could be called drawings of gratitude for simple pleasures: a pair of shoes, a beautiful sunset, a piece of candy, etc. I thought maybe we could do gratitude blocks. Well now I that I write it, this idea might be too complicated and not unifying enough for a quilt... I mean, one could be grateful for the remote control...or a piston engine! Hm. Never mind. LOL I'll keep thinking.
    Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 PM

If you want a 6.5 square. Draw a 3 inch square, then draw in your 1/4 inch line (inside the 3 inch square you just drew) Then draw your angled line from one corner to the other. Next in the bottom triangle use your square ruler to draw that corner square, then draw the middle line for the two triagles. Just make sure all your points end on the inner 1/4 inch line you drew and not the outer 3 inch square lines. Your connecting rectangles would be 3 x 1.5 and your inner square 1.5 x 1.5

3 + 3 = 5.5 then 5.5 + 1.5 = 6.5

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
    If you want this block it would be so much easier to draft a paper pieced pattern. Your points would be perfect here is the order you would sew in. [ATTACH=CONFIG]576338[/ATTACH]
    Old 07-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Like this (only neater) just make 4 copies on your copier. [ATTACH=CONFIG]576339[/ATTACH]
    Originally Posted by Kassaundra
    If you want a 6.5 square. Draw a 3 inch square, then draw in your 1/4 inch line (inside the 3 inch square you just drew) Then draw your angled line from one corner to the other. Next in the bottom triangle use your square ruler to draw that corner square, then draw the middle line for the two triagles. Just make sure all your points end on the inner 1/4 inch line you drew and not the outer 3 inch square lines. Your connecting rectangles would be 3 x 1.5 and your inner square 1.5 x 1.5

3 + 3 = 5.5 then 5.5 + 1.5 = 6.5
    Attached Thumbnails a0.jpg  
    Old 07-11-2017, 06:20 PM

Kassaundra, you are awesome. Thank you for the tips. I will have to try out your suggestions!!