Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • February 2011 Doll Quilt Swap >
  • February 2011 Doll Quilt Swap

• February 2011 Doll Quilt Swap

Old 02-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
    CloverPatch, jump on in! I'll pair you and Sew Extreme up officially. I'm a little biased, but we have some of the best swappers on the board. A very creative bunch of 70+ quilters!

Usually partners are randomly paired, and I have a fancy spreadsheet now so I try not to pair you with someone you've swapped with before. It's fun to meet new partners. What do you guys think about a request line swap one month? You request a certain partner and I try to pair you up?

And heads up for March, we will have a theme again. Red and white. The themes are always optional. I'm all about the creativity, so if you're not feeling the theme, do your own thing. The goal of this swap is to have fun and complete a little quilt. And from the looks of the first February quilts, the goal has been met and exceeded!

Looking forward to more quilts. Our fun for February has just begun.
    I actually love the heads up on the ideas. You could post for the whole year for me. LOl I am getting addicted to these.
    Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Ahh! Thank you! I am finishing up a toddler quilt, so I think I may just make a mini version of it. Oh decisions, decisions! I need to get crackin!
    Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 PM

the quilt dotty made is beautiful :)
    Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 AM

I don't mind themes at all -- picking a partner would be way too hard since everyone is great in their own way. I'd have to request to stay random on that one.
    Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM

I agree staying random is more fun.
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by letsquilt
    I agree staying random is more fun.
    I agree... random is best!
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM

I like random partners too, it makes it fun to make a new friend!

I do prefer themes, it takes some of the pressure off me. There are lots of things we haven't done yet, like crazy quilt, fancy border like prarie points or scallops. Fun stuff to help us grow our skills.
    Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    I toyed with the idea of making miniature doll quilts for 2011. You know doll houses have quilts, too. I know that Jan and Feb quilts were smaller than what I have done in the past.
    I have occasionally made various 1/12 scale miniatures, and there is a wonderful, helpful group of people on the Small Stuff Digest. I have not made a quilt in that scale, but have seen some that are amazing. They are necessarily different from our usual efforts because batting is not in scale and would make a quilt stick out like a board on a mini bed. Even 1/8" seams would also tend to make it too stiff, so most use cheater fabrics and glued on unraveled bunka for "binding". Most fabric, in fact, is too stiff, and to get it to look "draped" they sometimes form it using fabric stiffener, or they sew it down to something. In this scale, a typical quilt is 7 1/2" square. There is not a lot of actual quilting that can be done in that amount of space to result in a realisting look, though some do make comforters that are layered with very thin fabric and tied. The usual fabric choice is much lighter than the quilting cottons we use in our somewhat larger scale.

This brings me to a question: when we call the small quilts we're making for these swaps "doll quilts", are we striving for something that is flexible enough to wrap softly around a doll? I saw some of those at the Houston International. To make it work like that, a layer of lightweight flannel inside would work better than Warm and Natural, and in smaller sizes, no batting layer at all. But the result would be something that would not hang nicely on a wall and would look thin and puny if used as a table topper. Probably we're not making doll quilts, per se? Is there a strict definition that I'm not clear on? I have a problem with the term "miniature" because people often use it to refer to scale miniatures, as in dollhouses.

Chele, on the question of assigning swap partners, I like the random method. It's a fun way to meet various people.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 AM

I've just joined too, thank you okdarla. Your quilt is almost done. I've been having a lot of fun working on it. My best friend having a baby girl last week was the inspiration behind it. So I hope you like pink! I'll send it shortly.
    :)
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
    I have occasionally made various 1/12 scale miniatures, and there is a wonderful, helpful group of people on the Small Stuff Digest. I have not made a quilt in that scale, but have seen some that are amazing. They are necessarily different from our usual efforts because batting is not in scale and would make a quilt stick out like a board on a mini bed. Even 1/8" seams would also tend to make it too stiff, so most use cheater fabrics and glued on unraveled bunka for "binding". Most fabric, in fact, is too stiff, and to get it to look "draped" they sometimes form it using fabric stiffener, or they sew it down to something. In this scale, a typical quilt is 7 1/2" square. There is not a lot of actual quilting that can be done in that amount of space to result in a realisting look, though some do make comforters that are layered with very thin fabric and tied. The usual fabric choice is much lighter than the quilting cottons we use in our somewhat larger scale.

This brings me to a question: when we call the small quilts we're making for these swaps "doll quilts", are we striving for something that is flexible enough to wrap softly around a doll? I saw some of those at the Houston International. To make it work like that, a layer of lightweight flannel inside would work better than Warm and Natural, and in smaller sizes, no batting layer at all. But the result would be something that would not hang nicely on a wall and would look thin and puny if used as a table topper. Probably we're not making doll quilts, per se? Is there a strict definition that I'm not clear on? I have a problem with the term "miniature" because people often use it to refer to scale miniatures, as in dollhouses.
    I was wondering the same thing. This is my first doll quilt, and swap for that matter. That is one thing I asked my partner, do we add batting? or just a sheet of linen or muslin? I havn't made a decision yet, I am waiting to see how plyable my quilt top is.