Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • FUNKY Cat Block Swap      Sign up Deadline April 30, Mail date May 15, 2011 >
  • FUNKY Cat Block Swap Sign up Deadline April 30, Mail date May 15, 2011

• FUNKY Cat Block Swap Sign up Deadline April 30, Mail date May 15, 2011

Old 03-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Please keep in mind that all appliquéd blocks MUST have the pieces sewn down in some manner and that “plain” fabric blocks (just cut up squares), while appreciated to share with other swappers, WILL NOT count as “swap” blocks.

I made cat appliques to put on blocks. Now when you mean plain fabric does this don't use solids? I made some black cats haven't decided on what to do with the eyes yet. Maybe sew different color eyes on. I will sew the cats to a piece of fabric. Not totallt sure what you meant by plain. Unless you meant a pice of fabric cut in a block and doing nothing else. Please let me know thanks.
    Old 03-29-2011, 01:53 PM

I love those, Sandpat! I hope I get one of your fishbowl kitties
    Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by cattailsquilts
    [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_DXg3XPzYp3M/TZDYV7VAbnI/AAAAAAAADmA/jJ5xsvWW7Pk/s400/P3286205.JPG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_D...0/P3286205.JPG[/url][/img]

Thoughts, before I go too far with this idea? Too hideous? The prints are all vintage 70's or older fabric I inherited from my grandmother's stash.
    Actually I like it. Only thing I would have done different is made the cat stand out.. It blends with the background fabric. But other than that i really like it. The fabric would go great with my black cats :thumbup:
    Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by owlvamp
    [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_DXg3XPzYp3M/TZDYV7VAbnI/AAAAAAAADmA/jJ5xsvWW7Pk/s400/P3286205.JPG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_D...0/P3286205.JPG[/url][/img]

Thoughts, before I go too far with this idea? Too hideous? The prints are all vintage 70's or older fabric I inherited from my grandmother's stash.
    Actually I like it. Only thing I would have done different is made the cat stand out.. It blends with the background fabric. But other than that i really like it. The fabric would go great with my black cats :thumbup:
    Looks like the cat is on that fabric, not added to it as in applique or fused
    Old 03-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
    Originally Posted by owlvamp

Looks like the cat is on that fabric, not added to it as in applique or fused
    This is correct: it is a vintage patchwork cat print. So even the kitty is trying to be quilted! :) I've gotten 4 of these done, each one will have the same basic fabrics, but no 2 blocks will be the same. Just the nature of the beast for wonky blocks. :)

I'm relieved to hear that people like them. They're growing on me as I work on them!
    Old 03-29-2011, 02:25 PM

No clue why it double posted, sorry!! :oops:
    Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 PM
    Power Poster

Owl...what I mean by 'plain fabric" is just that. A piece of fabric just cut into squares like a charm pack with nothing else done to them. It does NOT mean that you can't use a solid fabric.

In the "funky" swaps...because we don't set a size (per se) for the blocks...when you get your swapped blocks home, you will receive different sizes. The quilts then are put together kinda like a jigsaw puzzle. You might need some extra blocks to make it work...so thats when the "plain fabric" blocks come into play. They make great fillers. Several of us who have done a few of the funky swaps will throw in some plain fabric blocks to be distributed amoungst the swappers. It is NOT Required that anyone include anything extra!!!

If anyone has any other questions....please feel free to ask! If I haven't explained something well to you, there is probably someone else out there who doesn't understand it either.
    Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 PM

Sandpat, if I do not happen to get a fishbowl kitty, would you be willing to share any drawing or pattern and the "putting together" info that would help me make one? I think I would like to have that as a center.
    Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
    Power Poster

Craft...I would be happy to share the pattern. I left it as a 12 x 12 but it can be trimmed down to a 9 x 9 so that it will "fill" the block. There will be sooo many cute blocks coming from this group..I bet we'll have lots of "center" choices!
    Old 03-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Yay! Thanks, and you are right. There are so many adorable blocks. I can't wait to put this one together!