Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    Originally Posted by rwquilts
    Originally Posted by rwquilts
    Originally Posted by leakus
    OOOOOHHH STOP IT!!!!!
    I wasn't going to committ to any swap for a while and came across this one! so much fun. You have so much creativity! Love your blocks.
    I am going to give it a try but not sure will come up with something as nice as you have been showing!
    Heh! Good to see you here too! LOL! You can do both the FWQ and this...it's good variety, and those farmers wives had chickens, didn't they? Ha ha ha!
    LOL! Im doing both! AND dh informs me yesterday that we will be getting some REAL chickens next month :O so after I get done building these blocks I will be building a chicken coop! Im pretty excited about it :D
    Oh what a hoot! Be sure to let us know if you really see eggs with legs running around your coop? LOL! So...we've got the farmer's wife quilt swap, now the funky chicken swap, you're getting chickens for real...what's next I wonder??? What a fun journey, huh?
    yes! fun journey! and to think... THIS is how he wants to spend his retirement :D I also wonder "whats next?" :D
    You'll enjoy them! We had chickens for years and miss the eggs so much that I told DH we were going to get some more in the spring. I'm going to be looking this winter to see if I can find somthing that will work well for a coop. I hate to have to build one. We might even get some "funky" chickens! We always like to have some that lay the green and blue eggs...they are fun to have around!
    I have never had chickens of my own before :D so Im very excited! Dh is funny about it, I am making this quilt for him, he is the one who asked me to join both swaps :D last week he found out that the local hardware store is getting chicks in by the end of Feb, he has been searching online for what breed is the best to have, he is looking for PRETTY ones! LOL! if hes not care full he will have to make his bed in the chicken coop!!! haha! anyways.... I told him 24 sounds good to start, he said "how about 200?" something about me selling the eggs... funny man :D
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Feeding them can get a little pricey if you're not careful. My mom at 95 has some hens that we got for her as chicks so she could have something to be interested in, etc. They lay the blue green eggs that you mentioned. They have gone for weeks and months without laying one egg. So, you can't count on making money from their eggs, year round. Some breeds, as you noted, are better layers than others. They do produce a LOT of poop and that can be used as great fertilizer for roses. Might be a source of some income also.
    Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by mama's place
    Feeding them can get a little pricey if you're not careful. My mom at 95 has some hens that we got for her as chicks so she could have something to be interested in, etc. They lay the blue green eggs that you mentioned. They have gone for weeks and months without laying one egg. So, you can't count on making money from their eggs, year round. Some breeds, as you noted, are better layers than others. They do produce a LOT of poop and that can be used as great fertilizer for roses. Might be a source of some income also.
    Oh, now I can't resist getting into this topic... we have the Americana chickens that lay the green/blue eggs. We also have other breeds. And yes, they do moult (stop laying eggs). Ours are in that stage right now. I refer to it and them being on strike. Which isn't very smart on their part.

We love the eggs they produce when they are laying and love giving them away to friends at church. 200 is a lot of chickens! I think 2 to 3 dozen sounds like a good start.

I was just looking at our Murray McMurray poultry catalog last night as we are getting ready to order some ourselves. Some of them were giving me ideas for creating funky chickens for this swap. They are so interesting. :-D
    Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 AM

We have about 25 chickens and some are still laying eggs. We get anywhere from none to 4 eggs a day. We have a mix of rhode island reds, dominecker, black leghorns and then just white chickens. We also have 2 banty hens and 1 banty rooster. I'm telling you that banty rooster struts around like he's one of the big roosters.

Suzanne
    Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM

I can't believe it ......this thread has reallly gone to the chickens.............pretty soon I'll know just what chickens to buy and how to take care of them........wonder what my next door neighbor will think................. :lol:

And just to think it all started out with FUNKY chickens......... :lol:
    Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by catpawski
    I can't believe it ......this thread has reallly gone to the chickens.............pretty soon I'll know just what chickens to buy and how to take care of them........wonder what my next door neighbor will think................. :lol:

lolololololololol
    Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 PM

I love all this chicken talk! I only have 9 Chickens and 1 Rooster. Gonna have to get some more this year. I like the Rhode Island Reds, but have domineckers too, along with whites and black rooster.
    Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 PM

!!!LOL!!! the FUNKY chickens AND the FUNKY Farmers wives !!!LOL!!!
    Old 01-17-2011, 04:04 PM

!!!LOL!!! the FUNKY chickens AND the FUNKY Farmers wives !!!LOL!!!
    Now that might be a funky block swap... funky farmer wives!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 01-17-2011, 04:37 PM
    Power Poster

We gotta include the funky hubby in the mix too! :)