Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • FUNKY Chicken Block Swap #2 - Sign-up deadline is March 31, 2011 >
  • FUNKY Chicken Block Swap #2 - Sign-up deadline is March 31, 2011

• FUNKY Chicken Block Swap #2 - Sign-up deadline is March 31, 2011

Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by catpawski
    Originally Posted by Roxanne
    I don't see why you would have to cut it up to "Make" something---am I missing something here?
    My guess is because it is not a block that was put together. If you think about it is it fair to those that have sewn all their blocks together........Yes I know that Moon has sewn a fantastic block which I'm sure took lots of time.......but also remember anyone reading the thread may think all they have to do is send in squares of chicken fabric and they in return can get funky chicken blocks......I've tried to look at it from all angles........I actually myself had thought of putting in fabric squares of chicken fabric just to be added to everyone's package......

Maybe we can do a chicken fabric swap so we can exchange squares of chicken fabric
    A chicken fabric swap might be fun!

Mariposa has already told us we can add filler fabrics, but they will be in addition to the blocks, not in place of...no matter how adorable the fabric print is, it doesn't take near the time to cut it out as it does to make a block. I have some cute baby chicks fabric that I will include with one of my smaller blocks.
    Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Well stated RWQuilts!

I sure have learned a lot from these hen cluckings! :-D
    Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
    if someone else is looking for something different, don't forget, we need to feed these chickens too!!!!!!!!
    I'm going to take the "fillers" and mix them with a Indian corn type fabric in a 10 minute "square" then arch the edges in...hope it isn't too busy but at least there will be some corn...

So in this square there will be eggs, chickens and corn... mmm which came first?
    corn for the chickens to eat to lay the eggs
    eggs to hatch and grow by eating the corn for the chickens
    chickens to lay the eggs after they eat the corn

I think I also saw some coop fabric online at maybe hancocks ...but I know I saw it somewhere
    Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    if someone else is looking for something different, don't forget, we need to feed these chickens too!!!!!!!!
    I'm going to take the "fillers" and mix them with a Indian corn type fabric in a 10 minute "square" then arch the edges in...hope it isn't too busy but at least there will be some corn...

So in this square there will be eggs, chickens and corn... mmm which came first?
    corn for the chickens to eat to lay the eggs
    eggs to hatch and grow by eating the corn for the chickens
    chickens to lay the eggs after they eat the corn

I think I also saw some coop fabric online at maybe hancocks ...but I know I saw it somewhere
    look on fabric.com ...

Oh, the chicken came first and the rest of the good stuff followed. Mmmm... love chickens and their tasty meat. :-D
    Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM

and i love the chicken fabs as fillers too. anypone know where i can get some chicken wire fabirc?????
    I bought mine lqs, I looked for a selvage, but all I have left is little tiny pieces. sorry I dont remember what it was :(
    Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 PM

I am confused also on the filler vs block debate, I would think that a ten inch filler is worth as much as a three inch block???? with this type of swap it is hard to tell what is equal to what. I havent made any over 12 inches in this swap or the last. is it right that you only do a 3 inch if you have larger sets also??? I think this is why nobody is making large squares and why nobody is making 3 inchers either. I dont want someone coming away from this feeling ripped off, but at the same time I think ten inches of filler is worth quite a bit because of the $ amount put into the material.
    I think it would be great to get everyone signed up to make a 3inch "set" I know I need them, and if everyone did it wouldnt that be even????
    Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Also, I have quite a bit of leftover fabric that is 6 inch, and 3 inch. couldnt we find a way to swap these around as filler????
    Old 02-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions...
    Old 02-08-2011, 04:49 PM

:roll: Oh Mariposa & all others:

I really didn't want to stir a can of worms around the hen house on such a fun swap.... :cry:

Let's alllllll forget about the filler fabrics and just do the squares as intended.

Later on - after the squares are distributed...maybe we can post an inquiry if anyone has some fabrics to trade to use as fillers then we just trade between chicken coops - even steven & straight up across the chicken wire.

Please let's drop the filler squares questions so we don't get our wings clipped and swatted with the broom. :lol:
    Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 PM
    Power Poster

To All-- we love doing blocks of all sorts of sizes, colors and techniques!
    Blocks are blocks, and the filler fabric pieces are just that-fillers. And they are much appreciated by all (most?)folks to help things fit together. :)
    Often times folks who want to share filler pieces just mail them in to me with their blocks and I can pass them out randomly. Including fillers in with blocks also saves on postage, etc. :) I am planning on including some myself to go out to y'all.
    Please folks, if you want to share fabrics, feel free! Your generosity is wonderful, and adds another fun element in putting our blocks together. :)
    I personally really like the little blocks, so I will be making some.
    Let's all have fun with this, and share our creativity! ;)