Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • FUNKY Chicken Block Swap - Mail Date April 1, 2010 >
  • FUNKY Chicken Block Swap - Mail Date April 1, 2010

• FUNKY Chicken Block Swap - Mail Date April 1, 2010

Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 AM

As far as hand sewing all 12 chickens, I did three, and then reminded myself how much I like my sewing machine.. lol. I will still embroider by hand all the details, but thought I would cheat for the bigger parts. My fingers thank me...
    Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Obviously, the cool kids all do flappable wings! :lol: :lol:
    Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Ladies, please be sure to let me know in you are actually wanting to join the swap...I mean let me know clearly...I'm kinda dense sometimes and I'm just not sure if "sounds like fun" means that you'd like to play....OR...that is just sounds like fun...Thank you!
    I am sitting on the fence with this one.. It sounds like a lot of fun!! I will see what I can get done and then decide lol
    Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by cjt_mama
    I am sitting on the fence with this one.. It sounds like a lot of fun!! I will see what I can get done and then decide lol
    Funny enough, I just looked outside, and my chickens are sitting on the fence, too!
    Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM

This idea is cool, but having a hard time finding patterns for a 6x6 block. Kinda tight on money now so I don't want to over do it just yet (wait until I get started.. hehe). If anyone can help me and show me where to get some patterns from that are for beginners then I think I would be able to join. Thanks

Does anyone know if it is ok to use clipart for appliques, or is that illegal? I found something i might be able to do on a free clipart website, but don't want to do something that isn't ok.
    Old 01-08-2010, 12:34 PM

I have done several blocks from on-line clipart. If you are not selling the blocks or printing out the designs for commercial gain, I cannot imagine why it would be a problem. If the clipart is free, then using the clipart for your own personal use is acceptable. (No different from using a free pattern from the internet to make blocks to swap.)

If it helps, I have researched copyright laws regarding on-line material for educational and personal use when I was getting my masters in technology and writing my thesis on cyber-plagarism. If you plan on using it for financial gain, you MUST get permission first. If the site says you cannot use their clipart for other purposes, then you may not. Those are the main stipulations in using clip art.
    Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Flappable, 3D, embellishments . . . all add to the great funkiness. :-D
    Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    I have done several blocks from on-line clipart. If you are not selling the blocks or printing out the designs for commercial gain, I cannot imagine why it would be a problem. If the clipart is free, then using the clipart for your own personal use is acceptable. (No different from using a free pattern from the internet to make blocks to swap.)

If it helps, I have researched copyright laws regarding on-line material for educational and personal use when I was getting my masters in technology and writing my thesis on cyber-plagarism. If you plan on using it for financial gain, you MUST get permission first. If the site says you cannot use their clipart for other purposes, then you may not. Those are the main stipulations in using clip art.
    Great!! now all I have to do is get more info on how to do appliques and see what I can find in the store. I am going to the store tomorrow, so I will be able to let you guys know then(hopefully I don't screw it up too much.. hehe)
    Old 01-08-2010, 05:26 PM
    Power Poster

Yes!!! Flappable wings are wonderful! The funkier...you know..

cjt....sure hope when you fall off the fence, you fall INTO our chicken house! :lol:

brooke...you don't have to do a 6 x 6...you know you can do any size as long as its divisable by 3". I use clip art all the time to make applique patterns. The coloring pages make great patterns too. I just look for "free" clip art and since I'm not selling, it is ok, I think. Oh...and I know you won't screw it up...so am I putting you down for a set?
    Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM

brooke...you don't have to do a 6 x 6...you know you can do any size as long as its divisable by 3". I use clip art all the time to make applique patterns. The coloring pages make great patterns too. I just look for "free" clip art and since I'm not selling, it is ok, I think. Oh...and I know you won't screw it up...so am I putting you down for a set?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that aI am in, just let me make sure I can get all the stuff that I want. Quick question though... I was thinking about using buttons for the eyes, but wanted to make sure that it would be ok first. I know this is a funky quilt so I figure it would be, but I don't want to do it if it would be an issue for someone.