http://www.quiltville.com/tonya/houses.shtml/

Pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7653822@N03/2847011446/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7608459@N02/4117918435/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12699422@N00/2884020786/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krom_mama/3488521519/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7608459@N02/4101307389/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25075018@N07/3290079229/

Something that is just a little off kilter, not really straight lines, and with the different size blocks, you could do small house, big houses, or neighborhoods (blocks with 3-4 houses in them). Throw a tree in the same block as your house (I think all our blocks should have at least one house in it), skyrises, houses with garages, house with quilts hanging out front, etc…. If you do a search on flickr for “Wonky house quilt” you’ll find lots of examples! I would like to see them not “themey” and I think it could work good without a color restriction so long as the houses don’t have a theme.

These are not super simple to make, but they are a lot of fun and won't take that long to figure out and the best part is, you don’t have to have corners match, so they are good for beginners too!!

Rachel
    Old 03-26-2010, 10:21 AM

I just wanted to say too, that we will need to get approval for this swap, and I tried to get one approved recently and it wasn’t approved until May, so it may be a little bit before it can get off the ground anyway. If Karen doesn’t want to host, I would be willing to too. I have no other swaps going on, so it would not be a big deal for me!!

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM

I looked at some of the links!! Those are awesome! I pm'd you.
    Old 03-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Rachel, thanks for putting up those links. Those are amazing, especially the tiny houses! Yeepers! I may have to try my hand at one of those . . . someday. LOL. I now have a much better idea of what you meant by funky neighborhood and I LOVE IT!! :-D :-D It's good on my end if it's not approved by admin for a while yet. It will give me time to finish up some other things so I can join in. I'd hate to miss out on this one. Thanks for offering to host!
    Old 03-26-2010, 02:12 PM

I liked those little off kilter houses, and thought the picture of the really big quilt with houses in the center and all around the outside was just gorgeous!! I think as many different colors and different types of houses would be great for a wonky or funky house swap. I'd sign up for that!!
    Old 03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
    Power Poster

Now those are exactly what I was thinking!!! Dr. Seuss houses!!! Yes, I love that idea...same perimeters as the Funky chicken blocks only Funky houses. Whoever decides to host....don't let me get left behind! I don't look at all the listings on the board...not enough time, but I don't want to miss this swap!
    Old 03-26-2010, 05:20 PM

Would it be possible to have one common color that would be represented in all the blocks in some way? I'm looking at the chicken blocks, and I am just thinking that maybe there could be a cohesiveness to the next swap if we all worked a color in to each block. It's just an idea, but it might help some of us figure out how we can make everything go together.
    Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by lavandula girl
    Would it be possible to have one common color that would be represented in all the blocks in some way? I'm looking at the chicken blocks, and I am just thinking that maybe there could be a cohesiveness to the next swap if we all worked a color in to each block. It's just an idea, but it might help some of us figure out how we can make everything go together.
    Hehe like every house gets a red door? :) :) I personally think that you will be very surprised at how all the colors will go together in the end. It's just like a real neighborhood, no two houses the same!! We could say something like "Light background" So at least we know the backgrounds wouldn't compete for your eye when looking at the quilt ......

I have asked for approval, and Patrice said she would get back to me this weekend, so I will keep you guys updated with when it can be posted!! I am excited about that one as I have been wanting to do a house quilt for a while yet! And this would be another great swap for using up scraps!!

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
    I have asked for approval, and Patrice said she would get back to me this weekend, so I will keep you guys updated with when it can be posted!! I am excited about that one as I have been wanting to do a house quilt for a while yet! And this would be another great swap for using up scraps!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

Hooray!!
    Old 03-27-2010, 04:40 AM
    Power Poster

Sounds like a really fun one Rachel! :D