Holiday Mug Rug Swap!!!

Old 10-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Well, Jan, now we can confuse them! My partner loves batiks, also.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:45 PM

Went into a cute little gift store today that I go by frequently, but have been resisting until now Thought maybe there was just the perfect little item to include with the mug rug. Sure enough I found cute little cocktail napkins but now I will probably need to find fabric to match the napkins! That's ok! More shopping!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:50 PM

Okay.

I have made many mug rug tops in the hopes that I will get at least ONE that is good enough, when I have finished it, to send to my giftee.

I am at the binding stage and am "afeared" to go on! I have convinced myself that I will (at this stage) screw them up! Then I will have to start over. (Plenty of time at any rate.)

I believe I read that someone else who is new to making mug rugs was going to "pillow case" hers due to the binding jitters, too. I don't want my giftee to be disappointed. Is there another EASY way to bind them? Say, by wrapping the bottom fabric up and over the edge of the front? (I THINK I could manage that.)

I'll bet everyone is crossing their fingers that I don't have them! LOL
Old 10-17-2014, 03:07 PM

PnP -I remember how "afeared" I was to mess up my good piecework top by putting on a "bad" binding or poor quilting skills.
I suggest that you give the traditional style binding a try. It is a small project and the best to practice on.
That is part of what this swap (and others) are all about - helping each of us build our skills while we build friendships.

That being said - wrapping the fabric from the back or "pillow casing" is also just fine. I would not be disappointed if either of those is what my partner chooses to do.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Oooh - is it me???? Batik lover here!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Patchesnposies, don't stress out this is supposed to be fun. I'm sure your mug rug will turn out great and any of us would love to have it as our own. I do think that in some past swaps some mug rugs had the bottom fabric wrap to the top and they used a decorative stitch to tack it down.

Jan
Old 10-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana
PnP -I remember how "afeared" I was to mess up my good piecework top by putting on a "bad" binding or poor quilting skills.
I suggest that you give the traditional style binding a try. It is a small project and the best to practice on.
That is part of what this swap (and others) are all about - helping each of us build our skills while we build friendships.

That being said - wrapping the fabric from the back or "pillow casing" is also just fine. I would not be disappointed if either of those is what my partner chooses to do.
Paula, thank you for the encouragement. I do really,truly, appreciate it! I suppose the worst that could happen is I'll mess up one and do the next differently.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:21 PM

suern3, isn't it fun to tease everyone? Today I was out shopping looking for ideas of things that I could include with the mug rug for my partner. Went to a grand opening of a new Hobby Lobby here in Alabama and saw so many pretty things I just couldn't make up my mind. So I gave up came home and had a beer!

Jan
Old 10-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Patchesnposies you can sew binding to the back of MR then bring binding to the top and stich with machine . I do this on all my thing that are going to be wash a lot (baby quilt.) I use 2.5" binding fold in half ,press then sew 3/8 seams all the way around quilt. hope this help you. do your best and have fun. YOU CAN DO IT.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cheesehead
Patchesnposies, don't stress out this is supposed to be fun. I'm sure your mug rug will turn out great and any of us would love to have it as our own. I do think that in some past swaps some mug rugs had the bottom fabric wrap to the top and they used a decorative stitch to tack it down.

Jan
Thank you, Jan. The idea of using a decorative stitch on a more simple binding technique appeals to me as a wonderful back up plan. I think I will at least TRY to do a traditional binding. I always tell myself I won't stress out.....but end up doing it anyway. Especially when I am creating for someone else. Time to conquer this fear!