Holiday Mug Rug Swap!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Kiffee, your stitches are beautifully done, love the Laurel Burch fabric too.

Ja
Old 10-28-2014, 12:57 PM

Thanks, Jan.. a good sewing machine helps..lol
I do a lot of hand stitching, but for this I figured machine would be better..

Now Lynnie, it would be more narrowed down by who on here DOESN'T like cats...lol

And who collects apple related stuff...or maybe just likes to eat apples...Bwahaahaaa...
K

Last edited by kiffie2413; 10-28-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM

Just have to hand stitch my binding down.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:43 PM

Caroline, I'm like you when it's done I have to mail it out of here! buddy'smom I also hand stitch my binding, may not be perfect but I like the looks of it better for some reason.
Okay ladies you can pick me, don't have cats and don't want them. Use to have until both son and I got allergies and a beautiful siamese was gone to another home. I will even break out in hives and blister's that are miserable, sneezing and throat closes up. Just asking if you have a cat and send something to me....please mark the package on the outside so I know. Hubby has to open it and make sure all cat hair is gone,Etc.
I like apples though
Old 10-28-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
Terriamn, so sorry for your loss. 17 years is a good long life, but that doesn't make the hurt in your heart feel better, does it. Big Hugs to you. Deb in NM
so sorry for the loss of your cat Terriann, we hate to think of the time that big mr. clyde will go away, but he limps more each day.. take care, mourn while you must, and cry abit too, that helps ... hugz. jacei
Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 PM

Nice to hear about those of you who do not have cats, (very few of you on this board, I think) although it seems very strange to me how one can live without them. I understand about allergies though so you have my sympathy. I am just wondering though..in a general sense, if a swapper that has a cat mails to a swapee that is allergic...if the swapper washes the item first and immediately puts in in a plastic bag when dry, would that be ok and not cause allergies. Not saying this for anyone in particular...just wondering in a general sense. Mainly I have these thoughts pop into my head and I want answers, even though I may not need them now...I might later. :-) So you who are allergic to cats...give me answers. Plus, I didn't have any news to post about more MRs yet. Still gathering more ideas and glad they do not have to be mailed out until Dec. 1st!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Just got my idea for my partners Mug rug. It is going to be a fun one.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:13 AM

For me it's cigarette smoke that really gets to me more than cats.
My mom being a lung cancer survivor of 10+ years (YAY!) also makes it where it's rough to have anything smokey around. She's only got 1 lung, is on oxygen full-time. She'd been a smoker, had quit years before the lung cancer struck.
I've never smoked, except for the 2nd hand growing up in a house with smokers.

Mom used to think you couldn't smell the smoke, as few years before she quit she'd gotten where she smoked outside. I hated to burst her bubble, but you could tell. Period. Now she knows it, and she says she can't believe how she thought otherwise.

On our swaps here, I just wash things if need be, as I know it's always a possibility that there's a smoker or pet lover. It's part of the deal when we sign up to know that.

I don't have any pets now.
I did have a kitty, only pet I'd ever had in my life (couldn't have any growing up)
Hubby and I let our son pick and name a cat, he was 9 at the time.
Long story short-ish (y'all know me, I talk way too much, I own it)
Anyways, "son's cat" turned out to be mainly my cat. We ALL loved her, and she liked us all, but she loved me. Feeling was mutual. Son named her Buttons (don't have a clue why, he doesn't recall why either) we called her "Butts" for short. She was something else.
My hubby is an animal guy..but he's not much on cats. He'd always had dogs, never a cat..and he never wanted one.

Though Butts had him wrapped around her paw, too. Ahh, the stories I have..and the memories.

She lived to be almost 18 (went across the Rainbow Bridge 5 years ago this past Labor Day).
It was terrible when she passed. I've had to eat crow, as I used to think it was odd when people were so "ga-ga" over a pet.. Believe me, crow tastes best when followed by humble pie.

From the time we got her, Butts got a bath every so often. Our veterinarian said it was fine, IF she'd allow it.
Boy, hubby and Butts had some F.U.N. on bath days...lol. I don't know who was wetter when it was over! What's funny is she'd actually jump in (or try) when I was in the tub. I had to make sure she was out when I was going in.

That cut down on allergens. Hubby's not allergic, son and I are more allergic to dog saliva. Though son has been moved to his own house for several years now.

No pets since Butts died. Probably won't be any with Mom living with us, though she grew to love Butts as well.

Our last dog we had was an English Bulldog, Cap'n Clyde. He was a sweet slobbery mess...he died 15 years ago. Hubby hasn't had a dog since.

So, I just read about all of y'all's fur babies.
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 10-29-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:11 AM

"Mom used to think you couldn't smell the smoke, as few years before she quit she'd gotten where she smoked outside. I hated to burst her bubble, but you could tell. Period. Now she knows it, and she says she can't believe how she thought otherwise."

Kif, I know what your Mom thought. I was a smoker for many years and didn't realize what it smelled like until I quit 5 years ago. Now smoke smell really bothers me. Smokers think that things don't smell like smoke because they can't smell it. It is best to wash something and put it in a plastic bag right away. I do that with my things because I have 2 cats. I don't want to hurt anyone who has allergies.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
Terriamn and rwquilts,
Sending some "quilty hugs" along with condolences to you both.

Rennie,
I do the fold over binding more often than not... I stitch it by machine if it's a quilt that will get lots of use. By hand if it's something that is more for show...
I can do the other way of binding (in this case "other" is said like it's a 4 letter word...lol) but honestly I just like the fold backing to front binding better.

I always say if we all liked the same things how dull the world would be!

Sneak peeks of my mug rugs:

Kif
Kiffie what size are those mug rugs? They are really pretty. They give me some inspiration for some like those for Christmas.