Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • International Round Robin, Round 6 Discussion and pics >
  • International Round Robin, Round 6 Discussion and pics

• International Round Robin, Round 6 Discussion and pics

Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 AM

Steph, I love the way you all talk about going to different places. Just googled it and its only 12 miles between Langley VA and Washington. I thought it would be 100īs of miles in between.

That interesting.

Elle
    Old 07-28-2009, 01:46 PM

nope, you can hop on Amtrak (the only nationwide train system) and go all up and down the Mid-Atlantic coast (Maryland to NYC) and even to New England (Boston area) in no time at all. Driving is tons of fun, but can take a while due to traffic!
    Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Yes Steph,,,,hopefully VA. Should be springtime.
    It'll be Little Creek/Norfolk area.
    Elle, that's a bit further south from DC, a couple hours.

Hey! I just got another great idea!
    Instead of me sending Patti her top back, I can just hang on to it and when I move, I can deliver it to her in person. Then we wouldn't have to worry about the mail! :) :) :)
    Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM

OH, OH, Viriginia would be great for me!!! We're going down the coast in September to Parris Island, SC. My cousin is graduating Marine boot camp. We're stopping off in Williamsburg, VA for a day on the way down to do some sight seeing and to break up the drive.

We went to Viriginia Beach for my senior trip and I've driven the whole way down the east coast to my aunt's house in Daytona, FL. I've also taken the Amtrak to Daytona. I remember freezing to death during the night on the train. It got so cold we covered up with our beach towels.

Hope you move to VA, Terri!
    Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by tlrnhi

Instead of me sending Patti her top back, I can just hang on to it and when I move, I can deliver it to her in person. Then we wouldn't have to worry about the mail! :) :) :)
    On certain days, I think that might even beat the delivery time via USPS...but naw....you are MORE than welcome to stop by...we'd love to have you...but gimme that quilt!!!!
    Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
    nope, you can hop on Amtrak (the only nationwide train system) and go all up and down the Mid-Atlantic coast (Maryland to NYC) and even to New England (Boston area) in no time at all. Driving is tons of fun, but can take a while due to traffic!
    Oooh that train journey sounds like fun and a good way to see the country. I wouldnīt be driving, I find it hard enough with 4 lanes of traffic and in Dallas there was 6, you do those left turns real different as well (at least it felt different at the time.)
    Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi

You are just going to love it when you move there Terri, you are going to wonder whats happened to you with all those roads. :D Sounds a real pretty area as well. We have a Norfolk in England and thats beautiful with water canals and boats on it.

Elle
    Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 AM

Well, I wish this Norfolk was the same, but it's not lol

There are some nice quilt shops in the area there, so maybe I could get some classes done or something. Sure will be nice to do some shopping too!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:57 AM

when you get there, you HAVE to visit Annapolis, MD, where the Naval Academy is. My dad graduated from there in the '60s and we went there quite a bit as kids. It is a beautiful town with the best seafood - and the midshipmen are SO nice to look at :wink: !

The Chesapeake Bay is truly beautiful and the further north on the west side of the Bay and on the East side of the Bay you get the more secluded and quiet it is.

You will REALLY enjoy the area. Richmond is lovely and very southern, Baltimore is quite metropolitan after a revival the last 10 years or so, Philly and Wilmington DE are also really nice.

Enjoy!
    Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
    Oooh that train journey sounds like fun and a good way to see the country. I wouldnīt be driving, I find it hard enough with 4 lanes of traffic and in Dallas there was 6, you do those left turns real different as well (at least it felt different at the time.)
    Driving in Atlanta is quite fun - 9 lanes of traffic ON ONE SIDE (where 2 interstates merged) that we had about 1/4 mile to go from the far left lane to the exit lane on the far right - each time is was GREAT!! But it makes a difference that Atlantan's know how to drive. You don't slow down or stop, you just drive and the other people merging get to your speed and merge.

Unlike in MN where everyone thinks they need to be NICE and slow down for people to merge in...thus we have people going WAY below the speed limit and putting on the breaks in the middle of the interstate to let people in! AAARGHH! :D