Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!! >
  • International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!!

• International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 PM
    Banned

hi izabella

its nice to have another NYer around
    Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
    Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have no idea yet what my center block will be. It sounds like there's a lot of applique going on. I've never tried applique and was thinking of just a block in colours I like. But now it's time to hit the pattern and pictures books. Planning is as much fun as doing :)
    I am not into applique either. I don't think that now is the time to try it either! I wouldn't want to pass it on and have 6 other people laugh for 2 months each. My favorite blocks are scrap pieced, and I have the colors picked out now.
    Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 PM

I don't do applique either. I would love to learn, though. There is an applique "boot camp" offered in September here in the Denver area. It's like three full days. I would jump on it, but it runs almost $400.00. Waaaaaay more than I could ever afford.
    Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 PM

If you don't feel comfortable with applique, don't do it.
    Do, however what you feel comfortable with. If you want to try a new technique, this is the time to try it. Make your "new" techique border/squares and see what it looks like. Doesn't mean you have to use it.
    As has been mentioned before....this is something fun. Nothing to stress about, but let me tell you...you will! We all do!
    My suggestion is....just start surfing around and looking at different quilts to get ideas for different borders. There are some great ones out there.
    Who cares if there is a little "oops" in the border you put on. I'm here to tell you.....that Flying Geese on Tishas? Well.....the FG weren't exactly "making" it to the edge for the corner square. I had to add a little more to the end so I could get it to look right. Just a learning curve I encountered, but does that take away from the beauty of the quilt? I don't think so and if the Quilt Police think it does, well.....they need to find another place to hang out.
    Please don't sell yourself short in your abilities. You never know what you can do until you try and let me tell you...I never knew I could do what I have done on these centers. :)
    Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by saravincent
    Originally Posted by b.zang
    Originally Posted by kwhite
    I have no idea yet what my center block will be. It sounds like there's a lot of applique going on. I've never tried applique and was thinking of just a block in colours I like. But now it's time to hit the pattern and pictures books. Planning is as much fun as doing :)
    I am not into applique either. I don't think that now is the time to try it either! I wouldn't want to pass it on and have 6 other people laugh for 2 months each. My favorite blocks are scrap pieced, and I have the colors picked out now.
    my favorite way to applique with is interfacing and water soluble thread and you end up with the look of hand needle turn without having to go thru all the effort.

you just attach the piece with the blind stitch or blanket stitch on the machine.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 PM
    Power Poster

Well, after looking at least 100 books and magazines, I have picked out my center! She will be 24", and pieced. I have posted a picture of the pattern on my site.
    After reading all the great ideas here, I was confused for awhile. Everything sounded so grand. The ideas are all so fantastic, so I wanted to have a fantastic idea also. Then, I stopped and realized that I wanted my center to show what I love and do best. So, in a way it is a self portrait of me! :D
    If anyone wants to have a look at it and tell me what you think, please do. all input will be welcomed!
    now the fun part, picking out the material!!
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 PM
    Banned

i think its a beautiful idea and i love your fabric selections. is the pattern a drunkard path? it seems smoother to me then the drunkard paths i've seen.
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM

hello everyone
    Lets see if I have this right???????
    1. I make my center square - Does it have to be a certain size... as I have a 19" square I would love to use.
    2. I will work on 6 other quilts - having 2 mo to finnish that border on each of the quilts and send on to the next person.
    3. make a label to send along with my center square.

Well what have I forgotten????????

I really want to join but not sure....... I understand everything.
    Have never done a round robin - sure sounds like fun.

Scrap Quilter
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:24 PM
    Power Poster

yea Klue, the squares are like the drunkards path, just put differently/ Those aren't my fabrics though , just picture from the book! I need to start looking for material tomorrow!That one there has plaids in it, and I won't use plaids. The original in the book has all sorts of rounds on it and I think it will be easy for everyone, I hope!
    Thanks for looking. Just a little nervous here! LOL
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM
    Power Poster

Welcome to the crowd, scrapquilter. Just go to the rules and follow each one. I need to read them again also!!