Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!! >
  • International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!!

• International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:42 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ai731
    Help!

I need help deciding what to do for my center. I've never done a project like this before, and I'm a beginner quilter.

Here are my 3 ideas:

1. A Mariner's Compass-type block, using Tim's Compass Star. It would be my first ever try at foundation paper piecing. Eeek?

2. A center made of four "Snail's Trail" (aka "Monkey Wrench") blocks, because DH and I both really like spiral patterns. I want to do a full-sized bed quilt in a "Snail's Trail" pattern one day.

3. This block from The Quilter's Cache:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TreeofLifeBlock.html
    I love trees, I have some nice scraps I could use for the "leaves" and it would give people lots of opportunity to add interesting borders, I think.

If I did #1 or #2 it would be using the batik fabrics in the picture below.

All your input, ideas, suggestions, warnings, pointers would be very, very helpful!

Thanks,
    Jan
    Jan, if you are really good with HST...the tree would be lovely and yup, it would be fun to work with the borders, plus the different colored leaves would give everyone tons of color options!

I just dearly love love love the compass star too! You might read page 3 of the thread with the star on it if you are concerned about Paper piecing. Patrice posted some templates that you can use. You have so much time to play, you might just want to try paper piecing..if I can get it into my thick head, I'm sure you can too!

You might just want to draw up your 3 options and color them if you don't have you don't have quilting software...or with so much time before the mailing, if you aren't sure...make them all, then decide and then re-life the ones you don't use. They would all work for the project just beautifully!
    Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    One of the blocks I was thinking of doing is now no longer an option. The more I looked at it, the more I realized is wasn't meant to be part of a bigger piece - it was a 12 inch wall hanging, and would have looked silly with borders added in the sizes that we are doing.

That said, I have a large swirly fabric I want to highlight. It's similar to large paisleys but not quite as busy. Any ideas for centers that showcase a large print?
    Are you still wanting to do a "legal/justice" type of thing? If so...I'm going to have to think about that today :wink:
    Old 07-22-2009, 03:56 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    One of the blocks I was thinking of doing is now no longer an option. The more I looked at it, the more I realized is wasn't meant to be part of a bigger piece - it was a 12 inch wall hanging, and would have looked silly with borders added in the sizes that we are doing.

That said, I have a large swirly fabric I want to highlight. It's similar to large paisleys but not quite as busy. Any ideas for centers that showcase a large print?
    Are you still wanting to do a "legal/justice" type of thing? If so...I'm going to have to think about that today :wink:
    Me too. Hmmmm, a large swirly fabric combined with lawyers - lawyers in the ocean? JK!!! :mrgreen:

I'm loving that Tree of Life BTW! :D
    Old 07-22-2009, 03:58 AM

Okay, I am going to sign up for two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think I am out of my mind but I really want to make one for each of my daughters!! I will sign up for the US/Canada again for this round. I am so glad we have time before we start!!! :lol:
    Kendra
    Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 AM
    Power Poster

I just realized now that I signed up for 2, I have to come up with another idea for center! Oh dear me!
    Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Jan, if you are really good with HST...the tree would be lovely and yup, it would be fun to work with the borders, plus the different colored leaves would give everyone tons of color options!
    I'm not *really* good with HSTs, but I'm not too bad and I'm getting better. I don't want to start avoiding HST-based patterns because I find them challenging :)
    I just dearly love love love the compass star too! You might read page 3 of the thread with the star on it if you are concerned about Paper piecing. Patrice posted some templates that you can use. You have so much time to play, you might just want to try paper piecing..if I can get it into my thick head, I'm sure you can too!
    I've found a couple of good tutorials, so I think I'll probably be able to figure it out. It's the option I'm leaning towards.
    ...or with so much time before the mailing, if you aren't sure...make them all, then decide and then re-life the ones you don't use. They would all work for the project just beautifully!
    I'd love to do all three, but I have a long list of WIPs that I still need to be working on, plus I want to do the Blue&Yellow block swap as well... So much quilting, so little time!

Thanks very much for your very helpful suggestions!

Jan
    Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by scrap quilter
    Wow you girls are good thinking about doing 2 round robins....
    I am stressing over having signed up for one..... I am just hoping my quilting is good enough......... Oh my what have I gotten myself into.
    Scrap
    Scrap, I absolutely felt the same way as you when I first signed up. Still do in a little way. I think the word is "intimidated". But the more I plan, the more I get excited. Everyone has been wonderful in letting me know that this is not a judged contest. It's quilting friends sharing their style and adding loving energy to the project. I haven't started on mine yet, but finally did get my fabric. Can't wait to start cutting. I'm truly hoping that by next IRR, I'll have learned applique so I can do something as pretty as some of these talented ladies. :D
    Old 07-22-2009, 07:16 AM

question that I can't find the answer to .... do you send focus fabric along with your center to the next swapper?
    Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by scrappy_quilter
    question that I can't find the answer to .... do you send focus fabric along with your center to the next swapper?
    I don't think so ... remember, each round is an expression of the next person in your RR group ... and, of course, there is the cost of postage/extra weight ... but, I am not the expert here, so keep an eye out for someone who KNOWS! LOL
    All I am doing is thinking out loud. HARDLY a definitive decision, at all! <g>
    Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
    Originally Posted by scrappy_quilter
    I don't think so ... remember, each round is an expression of the next person in your RR group ... and, of course, there is the cost of postage/extra weight ... but, I am not the expert here, so keep an eye out for someone who KNOWS! LOL
    All I am doing is thinking out loud. HARDLY a definitive decision, at all! <g>
    I think you are right!! And I too am just thinking outloud!