Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!! >
  • International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!!

• International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Originally Posted by chewboo
    I have on e i want to use and it will be easy so i thought i might do a center using characters from looney toons i would have to do what i want as an applica there is no material but looney toons ohas a copy right don't know what tpo do???
    chewboo, I am positive that all the Looney Tunes characters are not only copyrighted, but licensed as well...however, you can always purchase some fabric with those characters on them...and then use them in any way you would like. I'm sure that there are shops that sell them..do you have a specific character you would like? maybe some of us can help you find something.
    I'm fairly sure that whatever copyright/licensing Loony Tunes has will be similar to the Muppets, and I know the Muppets do actually have a book out, "Quilting with the Muppets", which would imply that they expect you to try to reproduce the characters? I would have thought that for personal use it would be fine, but just don't try to sell it? Someone on here must know...?
    Old 07-24-2009, 02:07 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ai731
    ai731 if you won't be satisfied with the tree now save it for a future RR you will learn applique in the meantime
    That's what I'm going to do. My quilt guild is going to start doing applique Blocks of the Month after Christmas, so I'll get to learn (or at least start to learn) then.

Jan
    Hi Jan, I love your painting - another suggestion - you could cut the main tree shap out of one piece of fabric then do the black lines with thin bias tape, applique'd on... :D
    Old 07-24-2009, 03:57 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by SazuBMidlands
    I'm fairly sure that whatever copyright/licensing Loony Tunes has will be similar to the Muppets, and I know the Muppets do actually have a book out, "Quilting with the Muppets", which would imply that they expect you to try to reproduce the characters? I would have thought that for personal use it would be fine, but just don't try to sell it? Someone on here must know...?
    Thats kinda what I am thinking as well Sazu....that I'm sure there is a book out somewhere and/or patterns featuring these characters that could be used.
    Old 07-24-2009, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by omak
    Originally Posted by suzic46
    Hi all, I'm really struggling with a center, I want to do a new technique like applique and a landscape, but I seem to keep falling back on the traditional where it's safer. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to how you came up with your centers? I sure could use the help. Thanks. :-)
    I am using YOUR avatar as the inspiration for my second quilt.
    Thank you very much! 8)
    I'm sure it will look beautiful! The log cabin you see in my avatar is made with 1 1/2" strips. It would make a nice center for a quilt, I'm honored :) .
    Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 AM
    Banned

[quote=SazuBMidlands][quote=sandpat]
    I have on e i want to use and it will be easy so i thought i might do a center using characters from looney toons i would have to do what i want as an applica there is no material but looney toons ohas a copy right don't know what tpo do???

Check out this site. It says that you can use trademark fabric to make anything you want, essentially, for your own use. And they have the court decisions all laid out to back up the argument.

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/trademarks.html
    Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 AM

Sorry, jumped into a conversation - didn't mean to :cry:
    Old 07-24-2009, 06:30 AM
    Banned

suzic, you didn't!!! No need to apologize! People read these posts at different days and times. That is why there is a quote mechanism, so that people know what post you are responding to.
    Old 07-24-2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by omak

I am using YOUR avatar as the inspiration for my second quilt.
    Thank you very much! 8)
    I'm sure it will look beautiful! The log cabin you see in my avatar is made with 1 1/2" strips. It would make a nice center for a quilt, I'm honored :) .
    THank you for the added information regarding your avatar.
    Old 07-24-2009, 06:42 AM

You are doing just fine, my dear. I get a notice in my email that says there is a new email on some thread. I click on the link, get taken to exactly where I was the last time I was on the thread. None of us usually has the time to read the whole thing completely through, so when I come to a post that I want to respond to, I do that quote thing you did, EXACTLY for the reason you did. As witnessed by my last post ... I read what I thought was the end of the page, and ... LOL ... there were two others having a conversation I had no clue about! Most everyone on the list understands how it works and has a high tolerance for side conversations ... all in all, your post added to the discussion, and I don't want you to :cry: ... we only want :D here <g>
    Old 07-24-2009, 07:16 AM

I think I've decided on my center block (God's Eye from quilters cache) now I just need to decide what colors to use and if I will be keeping it for me or using as a gift.