Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • International/ USA/Canada Round Robin III Sign Up--  SIGN UPS CLOSED!!!!!!  GROUPS BEING E-MAILED, CHECK YOUR E-MAIL! >
  • International/ USA/Canada Round Robin III Sign Up-- SIGN UPS CLOSED!!!!!! GROUPS BEING E-MAILED, CHECK YOUR E-MAIL!

• International/ USA/Canada Round Robin III Sign Up-- SIGN UPS CLOSED!!!!!! GROUPS BEING E-MAILED, CHECK YOUR E-MAIL!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 PM
    Power Poster

You solved it!!! Yeah!! Mad, you are right, having dimensions that are "divisable" by something else does help greatly. But here is the secret to that...you add a little "cheater" strip to get the measurements to work. And you all need to remember that you can split your border into segments....i.e. a 5" border becomes a 2" + a 3"...(just don't forget to add seam allowances)
    Old 08-06-2010, 04:05 PM

So if I add a 2" border to the top and bottom it would be better? Or would it look funky?

(I already went to Hancock and they no longer have this fabric! I don't want to let go of this as my center! I am in love with this fabric and the possiblities are impossible to imagine)
    Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 PM

I have to get busy and figure out how to post my pics. I tried yesterday and it didn't work. I am dumb when it comes to anything but typing on a computer.
    I need your help figureing which one i am going to use. I have 2 pieced ones that i have made and i have one appliqued.
    I really love the centers I have seen and 3 of them I know just what I would do.

I do have a question. If you finish your round before the 2 months is up can you go ahead and send it to the next person?
    Old 08-06-2010, 04:22 PM
    Power Poster

Miss Giggle....are you taking off the black that is already there? Either way, I don't think it will look weird..it will look like you "planned" it that way I think. If you aren't sure..lay it out, snap a pic and repost...we'll let you know.

brenda5...You might be able to blow through your addition, but the person you are mailing to may not be able to do that. You will need to email PRIOR to sending each time to make sure they are ready for it. That means that they have finished the one they already have and are ready to mail it also...so the short answer is NO...do not mail it early.
    Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks for picking up my slack Patti.
    Had a little power outage here for a bit, then had to run Courtney around. She wanted to drive a bit and I had to run to Walmart to get a few thing.
    Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 PM

I added the extra borders so I need your honest opinion:

Does this work or not?

Ignore the wrinkles, it is 23" sq.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-92923.jpe  
    Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Okay Ladies....Everytime I think I found the right block to do for my center...My DH reminds me that it's a square. I don't want a square center. Where can I look to find a pattern to do that won't be a square?

I'm so confused right now. Boo Hoo.
    Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM

missgigglewings, that frames it out nicely. Looks like it's ready to go!

Mishnjim - if you'd prefer a rectangular center instead of a square one, I think you might find inspiration by looking at some of the IRR II quilts. Kgoodhand did 2 centers, each of which had 6 pieced blocks (one was pinwheels and one was stars). She was in Groups 2 & 5 if you want to check out pictures of them. Other rectangular centers were appliqued motifs. All have turned out to be incredible! I guess it depends on what direction you want to head in. Some quilt books or magazines may also have rectangular blocks. Good luck!
    Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 PM

I think it shows the colors in your center better. I think it will work great after everyone else adds their borders.
    Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Just remember...if you do a rectangle, my opinion...make the rectangle up and down and not side to side. You want it to fit on a bed or whatever, if you do it so the long sides are the width, the width will be "longer" then the length, if that makes sense.