Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • January Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 31 >
  • January Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 31

• January Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 31

Old 01-07-2015, 01:28 PM
    Power Poster

I bet those buttons would sell for at least $4.75 now.
    what a stunning choice. I wonder how many of us caught
    the bug when we were little looking at buttons and playing with empty spools?
    Old 01-07-2015, 01:34 PM
    Power Poster

Did any of you use the old wooden spools to make a necklace? I remember stringing them on old string and painting them.Boy I was stylin !!! lol... I wanted to wear it to church and my mama wouldn't let me and it was Easter,everyone was dressing up. ... lol
    Old 01-07-2015, 02:45 PM

I remember the old wooden spools -- in fact, I bet I have one or 2 in my collection! My mom also had all her buttons in a round tin. Wonder what happened to that tin? I've moved so much in my life, it could've ended up anywhere!

When my oldest was in first grade, each child had to bring in 100 of something to commemorate the 100th day of school. Don't quite know what the point was, but I'm thinking you've already guessed what I had her bring in! Yep ... buttons! But they weren't just any buttons. They were fancy-shaped buttons, like an elephant, a duck, etc. I used to make all their clothes when they were small, up till their teen years. Anyway, I thought having 100 different buttons was clever, but the joke was on me -- I never got them back!

And I still​ collect buttons!
    Old 01-07-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee
    I remember the old wooden spools -- in fact, I bet I have one or 2 in my collection! My mom also had all her buttons in a round tin. Wonder what happened to that tin? I've moved so much in my life, it could've ended up anywhere!

When my oldest was in first grade, each child had to bring in 100 of something to commemorate the 100th day of school. Don't quite know what the point was, but I'm thinking you've already guessed what I had her bring in! Yep ... buttons! But they weren't just any buttons. They were fancy-shaped buttons, like an elephant, a duck, etc. I used to make all their clothes when they were small, up till their teen years. Anyway, I thought having 100 different buttons was clever, but the joke was on me -- I never got them back!

And I still​ collect buttons!
    Oh no! You never got them back? That's terrible! (shaking my head) I do think your idea was clever!
    Old 01-07-2015, 03:37 PM
    Power Poster

Mary that was a sweet story about making the necklace.

Ctyankee that is terrible. lol.. Why did they not give them back to you? Somebody really enjoyed them huh?
    Old 01-07-2015, 05:05 PM
    Power Poster

they still do the 100 day thing. I bet the teacher kept those buttons for herself.
    She knew a good thing when she saw it. 100 cool buttons, that's for me.

Who here got involved in sewing because they were playing with buttons and spools as a child. I remember that big can of Charles Chips beige tin filled with all types of buttons. what a real treasure chest that was.
    Old 01-07-2015, 05:51 PM

LOL. I don't know why someone (yes, must've been the teacher) kept them. I've always worked full time & often had a part time job on weekends, so never had the time to investigate. (How's that for an excuse??) I hope she enjoyed them!

My mom sewed & crocheted. She worked mostly with fine threads. I still have a tablecloth she crocheted in yellow & white; the flowers are yellow. There are some threads that have broken -- not many -- but I don't know how to fix it. It's the only thing I have from her. I tried working with fine thread when I was in my 20s; I wanted to make a round purple doily for my bedroom, but all I ended up with was a UFO! So I made afghans instead! Sewing/quilting has always been my first love though.
    Old 01-07-2015, 06:00 PM

I used to go to my great grandmothers house and sew on her old black singer machine. It was one that had the knee lever you would push to the right to make it sew. There was no foot pedal. She of course had a button can that I would get into. In her button can she also had a white egg shaped thing she used to darn socks. She also taught me how to make a whirlygig with a button and string. I loved my great grandmother. She also taught me to make crazy squares. I can remember her not understanding why we younger generation did not wear a corset. She also wore nylons with seams in the back. She always wore a nice dresses and covered them with an apron (one you had to put on over your head). We she got in her 90s I washed and ironed her dresses and aprons. I wish my DD could have known her. I can also remember the old black stove that she had to black and the steamed apple pudding on top cooking. Wonderful memories.
    Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 PM

I,too, played with my Mother's button tin, like the fruitcakes came in. Still have a couple of her things. I love the feel them in my hands and fingers. When I lived in Xenia, Ohio back in the 70s (where I went to Nursing School), I had a dear friend that collected buttons! I was amazed. She went to button shows! Looking back the quilting shows today remind me of them. There were all kinds of vendors there selling all kinds of buttons. I was fun to have a button you needed a match for and hunt and find it at one of the shows! I started trying to collect pricey ones which could really run up in money. I have my really fine buttons, like silver, copper, blown glass, black glass, closienne, celluloid, steel cut, etc on cards in categories. I also have a trunk full of buttons on cards and I think they are all celluloid. It's in the attic and I haven't looked at it in a long time. My friend said I needed to start selling them because none of my children or DGC want the stuff and wouldn't know the value of them. I know if I died, they would go look in my sewing room and closet and just say,"What was Mom/Grandmother thinking with all this stuff?" LOL!!!
    Old 01-08-2015, 03:30 AM

Wow! Great memories everyone!