Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • July - October 2016 Wall Hanging Swap >
  • July - October 2016 Wall Hanging Swap

• July - October 2016 Wall Hanging Swap

Old 11-08-2016, 06:26 PM
    Power Poster

Never any hurry. It never gets you anywhere you couldn't get to slower.

As I grew older I sort of lost my special moniker. Only a few people call me lulu any more.
    Are you still Lulu? I hope so.
    peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 11-08-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    Old 11-08-2016, 06:28 PM

I like the way you think.
    Old 11-09-2016, 07:15 AM

Ube, I was only Lulu for a short time. My uncle nicknamed me that as an infant and my parents divorced when I was a toddler. My father got custody and cut off all ties with my Mom's family, so I didn't see my uncle again until I was a teenager, at which time he still called me Lulu. I always think of "To Sir With Love" (a favorite movie & a favorite song) when I think of that name. I have had a bunch of other nicknames along the way, but Lulu has been one of my favorites.
    Old 11-09-2016, 10:32 AM

You really did a great job! I have not mastered machine applique and my machine HATES Aurofil so it never came out well when I tried. I love hand applique but it does take time. That pattern is so fabulous!
    Old 11-09-2016, 10:34 AM

The are 3 books in the series: The Riddlemaster of Hed, Harpist in the Wind and Heir of Sea and Fire. She also wrote another book called The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. I am still a fan of Andre Norton, Lloyd Alexander and Ursula LeGuin. I guess you never get too old!
    Old 11-09-2016, 10:56 AM

Jnct, I'm assuming you're talking to me. If you're not, then I must sound arrogant. Thank you very much. I love this pattern too. It has so much personality! It proves that we girls are fabulous even with crows feet. I was rushing at the end, trying to make the deadline, and there were several things that I would like to have done differently, but there just wasn't enough time. I thought, if it looks rudimentary, I can pretend that I meant to do that... So many little things went wrong along the way. The pieces were so intricate and some of them so tiny that the fabric frayed a lot and in some cases just totally disintegrated as I was trying to work with it. The eyes are a good example. I thought that I would put French Knots in the middle and that would secure them to the crow, because the fusible adhesive didn't seem to want to hold them in place. But when I tried that, the fabric would start to fray as soon as I put my needle into it. So I ever so carefully just put a stitch in each one and forgot about the French Knots. At least they are stitched down so that you don't have to worry about them disappearing. I actually re-did the eyes in the case of the crow in the bottom right corner. I'm slow as molasses anyway, but making this took me a looooong time. In the end, I think it looked sort of rustic and showed my inexperience, but because it was a picture of crows, in an ironic way it worked.
    Old 11-09-2016, 11:09 AM

Jnct, My husband and I love to watch fantasy, and he reads a lot of fantasy too. Me, not so much. And not because it doesn't interest me, but because I most often read non-fiction when I read. That and I have hobbies that are time consuming. But we watch a lot of fantasy. We both loved Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, and Avatar. I absolutely love fairy tales. I definitely will check out the books you mentioned.
    Old 11-09-2016, 11:52 AM
    Power Poster

JNCT, Have to ever seen " In the Company of Wolves"? A British Fantasy which revolves around a dream and the telling of Little Red Riding Hood in a way you have never seen before. Released in 1984, staring Angela Landsbury and David Warner. I have it in my VHS collection and every time I watch it I hope nothing happens to it. I have to find it on DVD. You might enjoy it. I like little offbeat films.
    peace
    Old 11-10-2016, 12:56 PM
    Power Poster

Sewingsew, For the next time you make the crows and start the eyes try using the wood end of a small paint brush and just dot the spot with white fabric/ craft paint, let it dry, use a smaller round object and dot with black paint. I think I used the head of a glass pin. I did a few practice tries before I did the finished piece. Don't be in a hurry with it. I did this before I put the pieces together so if I messed it up I only had to re- cut one bird and not repair the finished work.
    peace
    Old 11-10-2016, 01:02 PM

skaduzy - I got my package today! Thank you so much! The wall hanging is awesome!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562011[/ATTACH]

And the extra goodies are fabulous!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562012[/ATTACH]

Thank you so much!!!!

LOVE THEM!
    Attached Thumbnails img_1003.jpg   img_1004.jpg