Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • July Sign up for Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap - Sign up Is Closed! >
  • July Sign up for Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap - Sign up Is Closed!

• July Sign up for Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap - Sign up Is Closed!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by sgardner
    Originally Posted by klgreene
    This must be the month for Clara, I just now finished Clara for stitchengramie, different colors, so it looks different. That's why I love these blocks. If she wants me to post the picture before she receives it, I will, otherwise everyone will have to wait until after she gets it.
    So, are your center stripes wider? Bonni did hers wider and it looks so different! I may make the same block with a wider strip and then put to together the same way to compare the difference.
    No, I used the 3/4" for the middle fabric. I thinks it's just a matter of choice. Yours does look a little different than mine because you turned a couple blocks differently. But thats what makes it so neat that we can do the same block, twist a color and boom it looks a little different. It always seems after I finish a block, even though I really like it, there is always something I might have changed if I was making the same block again.

My partner is thinking of making a queen size quilt for her neice. If I were going to do that I might make the block a 24" instead of a 12. This is one of my favorite blocks. So I don't think it can be done wrong.
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Where is Bonni's clara block?
    Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM

Here is the block I made for stitchengramie. It's two shades of teal, dark purple and yellow. I hope it shows up the correct colors. So here goes......

Clara - My block to stitchengramie
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]225467[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-225461.jpe  
    Old 07-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Here is the block I made for stitchengramie. It's two shades of teal, dark purple and yellow. I hope it shows up the correct colors. So here goes......
    Looks great
    Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 PM

It's not as bright as the original. I have a new camera and it just doesn't seem to get the true colors. But it's close.
    Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 AM

This must be the month for Clara, I just now finished Clara for stitchengramie, different colors, so it looks different. That's why I love these blocks. If she wants me to post the picture before she receives it, I will, otherwise everyone will have to wait until after she gets it.
    So, are your center stripes wider? Bonni did hers wider and it looks so different! I may make the same block with a wider strip and then put to together the same way to compare the difference.
    I actually did Naomi this time. Perhaps you meant Rhonda did her wider? Speaking of Naomi.....I mailed out the Naomi block to Maggie this morning. :) She should have it soon.
    Old 07-13-2011, 05:27 AM

I think that the colors showed up well. It turned out nice.
    Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Ooh, I like! There is real movement in this block if you get the colors correct. I will have to look at your closer and see which ones you rotated, because I like that look.

I agree, if I did this for a full-sized quilt, I would make the blocks 24 inches wide to save on aggravation and time, but I think the results would be wonderful. My husband is still reminding me that we need a quilt for our bed; I've told him when the correct pattern calls to me, then we will work on getting the fabric for it.

Your centers strips were 3/4; mine were only 1/2 inch in the finished block. Bonni, what finished width did your center strip end up as? That way we can compare "looks" for future blocks. I didn't mean to imply that you had done Clara, but that you were also doing the Kansas Dugout blocks.
    Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 AM

It's not as bright as the original. I have a new camera and it just doesn't seem to get the true colors. But it's close.
    I have to get my cloth in natural sunlight for my colors to be close to true on my camera.
    Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 AM

Ooh, I like! There is real movement in this block if you get the colors correct. I will have to look at your closer and see which ones you rotated, because I like that look.

I agree, if I did this for a full-sized quilt, I would make the blocks 24 inches wide to save on aggravation and time, but I think the results would be wonderful. My husband is still reminding me that we need a quilt for our bed; I've told him when the correct pattern calls to me, then we will work on getting the fabric for it.

Your centers strips were 3/4; mine were only 1/2 inch in the finished block. Bonni, what finished width did your center strip end up as? That way we can compare "looks" for future blocks. I didn't mean to imply that you had done Clara, but that you were also doing the Kansas Dugout blocks.
    I believe mind ended up around 1" for the center. When Maggie gets it perhaps she can measure it for me.