Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • July Sign up for Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap - Sign up Is Closed! >
  • July Sign up for Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap - Sign up Is Closed!

• July Sign up for Rhonda's Quilt Block Swap - Sign up Is Closed!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 AM
    Power Poster

My partner wants dark red batiks. I went to our local quilt shop and she doesn't carry batiks. So I will wait til I get to Burlington. Hmmm I just remembered we have a new little quilt shop just a few miles from me. She is out in the boondocks(out in the country where she lives) all by herself! I should call and see if she carries batiks. I am thinking I saw some there when she had her open house. :idea: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: An opportunity to go shopping!!!
    Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

Mom-6 those are all such lovely quilt blocks with lovely colors! What will you use for sashing? Or are you using any sashing?
    Old 07-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    Here's a picture of the lovely block Katie sent me. I tried to get a picture of all 4 that I've gotten but it only shows 3. My table outside is too narrow to do them in a square configuration. And inside the lighting isn't great.

They really look great together! I haven't put mine all next to one another to see if they will look compatible- I figured I do a few more months before I start asking for colors to get them to mix and match for one project.
    Old 07-09-2011, 02:17 PM

I haven't decided yet how I'm going to put them together. Part of that will depend on how many blocks I end up with and how they will look best together. As it stands now I most likely will use a fairly dark purple for the sashing. But I may change my mind later. Quite often my plan undergoes a series of changes before I actually reach a final decision. :)
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM

Ok here is the block I did for Peevypat. I dont like the colors. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-224796.jpe  
    Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanetWall
    Ok here is the block I did for Peevypat. I dont like the colors. What do you think?
    Everyone has a differant taste in colors and a diferant eye. For me I think the light fabric is too strong of color and too busy. It makes the colors all blend too much. The pattern would stand out more if the colors are contrasted. I think your construction looks great.
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Eek, forgot to post my pic. Week 28, Clara. The center "row" was only 1 inch wide; the one Rhonda did was much wider.

It turned out neat anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-225381.jpe  
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Originally Posted by JanetWall
    Everyone has a differant taste in colors and a diferant eye. For me I think the light fabric is too strong of color and too busy. It makes the colors all blend too much. The pattern would stand out more if the colors are contrasted. I think your construction looks great.

That is exactly what make it look off- the print on the white is too large and blends the entire block together. Instead of the lines looking clean, it muddies the entire block.

I wouldn't rip it apart though, see if she likes it first. Or, someone else might call it and trade you another block for it. I think it would look cute as a pillow or made into a doll quilt with some of that green used for the inner star as your border fabric.
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by sgardner
    Eek, forgot to post my pic. Week 28, Clara. The center "row" was only 1 inch wide; the one Rhonda did was much wider.

It turned out neat anyway.
    This must be the month for Clara, I just now finished Clara for stitchengramie, different colors, so it looks different. That's why I love these blocks. If she wants me to post the picture before she receives it, I will, otherwise everyone will have to wait until after she gets it.
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
    This must be the month for Clara, I just now finished Clara for stitchengramie, different colors, so it looks different. That's why I love these blocks. If she wants me to post the picture before she receives it, I will, otherwise everyone will have to wait until after she gets it.
    So, are your center stripes wider? Bonni did hers wider and it looks so different! I may make the same block with a wider strip and then put to together the same way to compare the difference.