Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups >
  • June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups

• June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups

Old 06-06-2018, 01:03 AM

[QUOTE=givio;8069872]see the bright pretty colors of the 9patches in that shot./QUOTE]
    givio, such a pretty quilt top here! Your husband has good taste :-)

d~
    Old 06-06-2018, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Evie
    If you're not too tired of making 9-patches
    https://carterquilter.files.wordpres.../img_01741.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595481[/ATTACH]
    Evie, I love this setting. Never would I have thought to mix all dark 9P with a 2-color 9P. Love it. Thank you.
    d~
    Old 06-06-2018, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie
    my gown and grand daughter. She is my first and last, so quilting will now take 2nd chair to making dresses.lol
    Gannyrosie, and that is exactly as it should be. As most of us know by now, time has a way of flying by. Enjoy every minute of her.

d~
    Old 06-06-2018, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I know... we are antiques, by that criteria!
    SBG, that was your out-loud voice

d~
    Old 06-06-2018, 06:01 AM

Grannierose: You are a Beautiful bride and I love the christening gown you made from the dress. What a great idea.

Sewbiz and Evie Both terrific ideas for the 9 patches I love them.

To whoever called that blue and teal made in the 60's quilt antique.....That HURT! hahahahaah I was made in the 60's It's tough seeing my childhood showing up in antique stores but way to just turn the knife. hahahahaha What ever age is a number and I refuse to let it define me.

I'm loving all the blocks being shown I can't wait to make my next quilt with them.
    Old 06-06-2018, 06:14 AM

Darcyshannon, yes, I've done quilts with various whites. I like the look it gives, especially because I like a scrappy look (which would be the case for one of our 9patch swaps anyway). You could think of using whites the same way you use a variety of neutrals for a scrappy neutral background. These two quilts were made with scrappy whites. The first one was a block swap done on QB. On close inspection you can see the different shades of white. The second one was inspired by a block swap done on QB, but I didn't have enough WOW to make a whole block, so even the background of each block is scrappy. A scrappy background for the block was not indicated as allowable in those swap rules, so I just followed along in that swap and made my entire top rather than swapping blocks. If you are sewing a coordinated quilt, then you might like to have the same white throughout. Generally, for a swap, it's not required to buy a specific brand of fabric to participate, although types of fabric can be specified.
    Attached Thumbnails 1930s-prints-disappearing-4-patch.jpg   julies-churn-dash-quilt-top.jpg  

Last edited by givio; 06-06-2018 at 06:16 AM.
    Old 06-06-2018, 08:15 AM

Hi everyone, I am just checking in. I am back in Fort Worth and ready to finish up my swaps. My sister sent me home with a duffle bag full of quilting fabric, can't wait to make strips out of some of these.
    Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 AM

I am also exited about doing a 9Patch swap with whites. Hope that is the next swap.

Audrey

Originally Posted by D.Henson
    Evie & QM, beautiful blocks.

Obrienwv - cute quilt!! I do like the checkerboard patten of our nine patches. I would love to do one with colors and whites. All the 9P quilts are darling. It’s hard to choose which one to make (or two)!
    Old 06-06-2018, 09:42 AM

Hi y'all! I've been watching your 9 patch swaps. Looks like fun. Not sure if I will be joining, but just want to say I enjoy your blocks and quilt inspiration!
    Old 06-06-2018, 01:06 PM
    Power Poster

I think I'll just go ahead and determine that our next swap will be scrappy alternated with white: checkerboards of 5 colors and 4 whites, with no two same fabrics in one block (except the whites.) Don't worry about the whites not matching. They are not going to... I want everyone to use what they have, and not have to buy more just for the swap. Any white you have will be fine... just not beige or cream, please. The scrappy whites will just add to the charm.

So... letting you know ahead of time, in case anyone is finished with the current blocks and wants to work ahead. If you have a stash of 2.5" squares, now's the time to use them! But it may be quicker for you to cut your white into 2.5" wide strips. Then you can go down the side of the strip, sewing the little squares to them, and cutting them apart later. Then all you will need to add is one more square and you'll have your rows of 3. I find this method faster than cutting up a bunch of 2.5" squares... but you do whatever works for you.

Got Gannyrosie's package today! So far, I'm not opening any packages... just letting them pile up as they arrive.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilts with white, Givio!