March 2016 Postcard Swap

Old 03-23-2016, 05:31 PM

Well another day, nothing returned to me and no posting from Armylady....I even tried the PO tracking number and I couldn't figure out the dang thing..........calla
Old 03-24-2016, 04:22 AM

We arrived home tonight and checked our PO Box on the way through town and my postcard from Linny was waiting for me. Thank you so much Linny, your card is very nice and I am pleased to receive it from you. Hope mine to you is not too far away.
Attached Thumbnails linny-mar-2016.jpg  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:36 AM

Linny, we do have a lot of sheep farming in Australia and actually the area I was just visiting is a large sheep grazing district. There are shearing sheds everywhere. We learnt at school that "Australia rode on the sheep's back", meaning that the wool industry was a large export product for Australia, but sadly not so now, most of our woollen mills have gone and our main exports now are coal and iron ore. But then again the mining industry is in a down turn, so I am not sure what our main export will be next. We have next to no manufacturing left in this country, where as in the past we have quite a lot.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 AM

Betty, It is sad that so many of our resources are becoming less and less viable. I've always loved sheep, and when my husband was in Iceland he saw quite a few and took some really nice pics for me.
Happy you received your post card. I checked my PO box this morning and I'll check again tomorrow. It will arrive soon I'm sure and I'll let you know as soon as I do.
The "Sheep Story" I read online was about Chris the sheep and how he wandered on his own for almost a year before being found. He's been adopted now. Australia broke the world's record for wool sheared from one sheep....almost 100 pounds. It was a bit of a sad story, although happy too because he was found and brought back to health. Have a good day. We'll be in touch soon.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 AM

what a cute card!
Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Betty that is a beautiful card from Linny. The sheep is so pretty. Linny you did a great job on that.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:41 PM

Thanks Pam and Susan. Postcards are such a fun way to create your own little piece of art.
Susan, hope you will soon be feeling a lot better.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:08 PM

Linny -- that's a really sweet postcard! I love sheep! Years & years ago, I saw a sheep shearing & carding demonstration & that's when I decided I wanted 2 white sheep with black faces & one black sheep -- the white ones so I can dye the wool & turn them into sweaters. Well, that was quite the dream! But I came close -- when we lived in Ireland, our house was between 2 sheep farms! Hahaha! Oh, well ... (I will say, though, that cows are my very favorite, followed by sheep. And we had cows looking through our kitchen window at us ... they were bullocks & one little red bull, actually, not cows at all!)

Anyway, I have a daughter who lives in Iceland. We went there last fall. Saw lots of sheep & lots of Icelandic horses! Along with the most incredible landscape I have ever seen!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Linny
Betty, It is sad that so many of our resources are becoming less and less viable. I've always loved sheep, and when my husband was in Iceland he saw quite a few and took some really nice pics for me.
Happy you received your post card. I checked my PO box this morning and I'll check again tomorrow. It will arrive soon I'm sure and I'll let you know as soon as I do.
The "Sheep Story" I read online was about Chris the sheep and how he wandered on his own for almost a year before being found. He's been adopted now. Australia broke the world's record for wool sheared from one sheep....almost 100 pounds. It was a bit of a sad story, although happy too because he was found and brought back to health. Have a good day. We'll be in touch soon.
Yes, Linny, I read that story about that sheep in the newspaper. I think his wool is being kept and not used. During our trip to New Zealand ( which is very much a sheep grazing and wool country ) we went on a very old steam boat up the lake that Queenstown is situated on to a sheep station called Walter Peak. We enjoyed an excellent Bar B Q lunch and saw a shearing demonstration in their wool shed. this is a very popular tourist attraction. Here are some pictures of the farm and shearing and steam boat. New Zealand is a very picturesque country. We only visited the south Island this time.
Attached Thumbnails sheep-nz.jpg   walter-peak.jpg   shearing-shed.jpg   steam-boat.jpg  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:04 PM

Linny such a cute card .........and your binding is super.
Betty I so enjoyed your pictures, seeing the wool reminded me of cotton on the way to the gin....
Armylady nothing returned to me.......and nothing dropped in your box either? I don't understand...........Sue