Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Mug Rug Swap! Febs Green White Cream mug rugs! sign up closes Feb 1st >
  • Mug Rug Swap! Febs Green White Cream mug rugs! sign up closes Feb 1st

• Mug Rug Swap! Febs Green White Cream mug rugs! sign up closes Feb 1st

Old 02-16-2015, 12:15 PM

Yep closings galore and the white stuff hasnt been seen, as of 3 pm that is. and I wantred so much to do stuff.
    20 degrees at the moment, I am staying in,because of it being cold. I am ready to plant some flowers outside! what is that called, cold gardening? got an idea to do terrariums, got about 3 big vases that would o just fine. does keep me indoors!! and I do have the plants to plant in those big jars, or I could get out my sewing stuff and make some pin cushions and or the mug rugs or what ever!! hehehehe, decisions, decisions, decisions! 1hey y'all thats getting the snow ? throw a snow ball for me!! later y'all

kiffie2413 Hey thats something to celebrate about, don't say you're sorry for your letter being so long, we need to hear stuff like that, 11 years shout it out!! My sis had a bout with breast cancer, 2 years free!! so yeah celebrate!!

Old 02-16-2015, 12:19 PM

Ctyankee, thanks for that, yeah it was me that asked. wow 1895, record breaking everywhere, here too the cold has broken some records really amazing

Last edited by Psychomomquilter; 02-16-2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: double posting
    Old 02-16-2015, 12:24 PM

no valentines stuff here, except the candy I got from Vita and klaws, and I have been snacking on them too, just got a couple of bites to go. those roses are reall pretty. so I am picky, I would love to tet them to plant. Quilty Louise they are still pretty!!
    Old 02-16-2015, 12:26 PM
    Banned

Kiffie,

Great story about your mom, and glad to hear she is cancer free.

I quit smoking several years ago myself. In 2007 I had neck surgery
    after 6 months the vertebrae never fully fused together. They told me
    that it was caused from smoking which I never confessed to doing at
    that time as I "snuck" around to smoke. Then in 2009 I had to have
    a second neck surgery to add rods and screws to the back side of my
    neck. It was at that time that I truly gave up smoking.

Haven't looked back either. But the smell of smoke now makes me extremely
    sick to my stomach now.

I just wish that I can make my daughter quit smoking. I keep telling her that
    it is VERY VERY harmful to the baby.
    Her "excuse" for smoking? "I smoke mom because you smoked when you
    were pregnant with me".... now tell me is that not the dumbest way to think?
    Tried to tell her that I was stupid and there wasn't nearly as much known
    about the amount of damage smoking does to a baby.

Kiffie did you get the envelope that I sent to you?
    Old 02-16-2015, 12:58 PM

Thank you ladies for abiding my "novel".

Psychomomquilter,
    Yay! For your sis, too.

Quilty-Louise,
    I can't speak as to your daughter's rationale, but it sounds like she knows she shouldn't smoke, and is "reaching" for an excuse. I think all you can do, is what you've done. You sound like a great mom, and I can tell you're chomping at the bit to be a "ya-ya"!
    My Mom actually did stop smoking when she was pregnant with my brother, and with me. But I'm sure I got plenty of smoke from all the other family members who still smoked. After she had us, right back to smoking she went.
    I really try not to come across as "judgey". First off, because I don't want to be judged. And 2nd, if I haven't walked a mile, how can I know??

I haven't received your pkg...no mail today, tho. I'll be sure and let you know when I get it.
    Did you get mine I sent you?

Regards,
    Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 02-16-2015 at 01:00 PM.
    Old 02-16-2015, 01:00 PM
    Banned

Kif I sent it on Monday LAST week.

It had a ton (ok maybe only about 6-7 postage stamps).
    It was a small padded envelope.

No I haven't gotten yours yet either.

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
    Thank you ladies for abiding my "novel".

Psychomomquilter,
    Yay! For your sis, too.

Quilty-Louise,
    I can't speak as to your daughter's rationale, but it sounds like she knows she shouldn't smoke, and is "reaching" for an excuse.
    My Mom actually did stop smoking when she was pregnant with my brother, and with me. But I'm sure I got plenty of smoke from a the other family members who still smoked. After she had us, right back to smoking...
    I really try not to come across as "judgey". First off, because I don't want to be judged. And 2nd, if I haven't walked a mile, how can I know??

I haven't received your pkg...no mail today, tho. I'll be sure and let you know when I get it.
    Did you get mine I sent you?

Regards,
    Kif
    Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 PM
    Power Poster

Louise, is this the daughter that was trying to get pregnant for all that time? will the doctor talk to her. even after the baby is born it's important. My ex smoked all the time around my dear son, he had such terrible ear infections due to the smoke. At 18 months, he was partially deaf due to the smoke. When he was three, my ex kicked me and my son out of the house, so his hearing cleared up a lot after that. sorry for her smoking.
    Old 02-16-2015, 02:54 PM

dfelker - thanks!

Regarding quitting smoking. I had tried numerous times before I quit for the 3 years. Nothing helped really. I think the big problem is that it is not treated like a serious addiction really. People don't go to NA meetings for nicotine, they don't have quit sponsors, or a support system besides their loved ones, which may not really be able to help because they don't know what it's like. Nicotine is the second most addictive thing next to heroin. Yep, I said heroin. I did a whole research report on all this stuff years ago.
    It IS a drug, and it is seriously addictive. It changes and creates neural pathways in your brain to facilitate the addiction. It's serious. Most of the excuses smokers make about quitting is what people in the recovering addict world call "junkie speak" … they include things like:
    "It's just not the right time."
    "It's my only vice."
    "I know it's bad for me, but I love to smoke."

And many more. I know because I've said most of them. If someone you knew was on hard drugs, and said those things, would they seem like more, or less, valid statements? Would they be accepted? I dunno… I think it's a serious addiction and gets treated very flippantly in our society. I say this as a nicotine addict.

Anyways… today is day 5 smoke free for me. I didn't go into town today to get my prescriptions because I was not sure I would have the will power to resist buying smokes. So my husband is stopping at the pharmacy after work. Once I get past the first month it'll be easier. I am already feeling better. And, I managed to NOT have to give up my other addiction this time… coffee!! lol Last time I had to give that up too. They were too closely connected for me. But I guess I am better at quitting now I've had some practice!
    Old 02-16-2015, 03:35 PM

Kiffie -- thanks for sharing that story. It's really wonderful to read. My DH gave up smoking in the early years when our oldest daughter was small & she begged him to quit. So, apparently, children have that power that the rest of us don't!
    Old 02-16-2015, 05:02 PM

Ctyankee,
    Good for your dh, and all of you who love him!!

Vitality,
    Good for you on 5 days! And you're so very right, nicotine is seriously addicting, and in no way, shape, or form did I mean to imply it was easy for my mom to stop. She herself has said every other time it was hades trying to quit. She had various withdrawal symptoms, physical and emotional.
    The last and final time she quit, she said it just was different...she had no desire to smoke, and had no withdrawal symptoms. She said she prayed and put it into God's hands...which she's always had faith, but honestly, she's not big on talking about it, nor pushing her beliefs on anyone. She's pretty much a "matter of fact" lady, and to this day, she's matter of fact that her quitting like she did was due to a higher power. As I've said, I never smoked except "2nd hand", so I can't say anything other than what I know from my Mom. I know I love sweets, love them! And if I was diabetic, I cannot imagine how that would play out...
    Regards all,
    Kif