Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • November 2014 - February 2015 Wall Hanging Swap >
  • November 2014 - February 2015 Wall Hanging Swap

• November 2014 - February 2015 Wall Hanging Swap

Old 12-26-2014, 03:35 PM

Well after several more attempts and techniques I think I finally have a winner. The paper backing and sewing the two layers then turning did make a better circle, but still even w/ the perfectly appearing sewing line not 100% happy w/ the turned result. So I made a cardboard template and did a kinda yoyo pressing that shape and trimming the inner fabric and sewing that down. It is trickier sewing, but I like the look better, the circles are much better. I tried the iron on paper backed stick-um type applique stuff w/ the yo-yo and it made a visible area in the center that I didn't like (made the turned seam much more obvious), but it would have made the attatching sewing less tricky, not worth the visible trade off in my opinion.
    Old 12-26-2014, 04:41 PM

well mine definitely don't look like Ube's ... i'm almost embarrassed to put up my blocks ... but here goes ...

I have decided for this wall hanging swap to use ONLY scraps from all my left over projects. So I looked for blocks with lots of pieces LOL ... here are the four I am using ... I'm doing quilt as you go, now I have to make the sashing out of scraps, and then the border
    Attached Thumbnails img_1355.jpg  
    Old 12-26-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts
    well mine definitely don't look like Ube's ... i'm almost embarrassed to put up my blocks ... but here goes ...

I have decided for this wall hanging swap to use ONLY scraps from all my left over projects. So I looked for blocks with lots of pieces LOL ... here are the four I am using ... I'm doing quilt as you go, now I have to make the sashing out of scraps, and then the border
    Very pretty sampler type wall hanging. I like quilt as you go too, almost all my quilts are some version of quilt as you go.
    Old 12-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
    Holy cow ube! Not sure I want to finish mine now its looks hokey next to that beauty!
    Yours could never be hokey......they are always really, really nice! 😄
    Old 12-27-2014, 05:10 AM

and here is the sashing ....

I then took the triangles and cut them again, and those will make the border!
    Attached Thumbnails img_1366.jpg  
    Old 12-27-2014, 10:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I have been working on my EPP and want to show what is done so far and what I did to compensate for my not so perfect hand sewing talent.

Here we go!
    The finished blocks I have so far
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]503656[/ATTACH]

My trick to hold the unsewn pieces together while I stitch them together
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]503657[/ATTACH]

I saw a tip here on QB about not holding the two pieces back to back, but hold them side by side and you will never have show through at the seam.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]503658[/ATTACH]

Another trick to help keep my stitches in place. A simple index card and I added lines across it to guide the size of my stitches.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]503659[/ATTACH]

The finished piece
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]503660[/ATTACH]

A close up of some of the blocks
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]503661[/ATTACH]
    This may look weird and like over kill but my stitching is so bad I had to get creative solutions to help me out. Thanks for looking.
    peace

Ube quilting,
    That is just beautiful. I love that. Also thanks for those tips you shared with everyone. I had read the one about putting them side by side, but then your tip using the index card is great. I love using index cards when I can anyway. lol...
    Old 12-27-2014, 10:44 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts

MarionsQuilts,
    That is a very pretty sampler. I have never done the quilt as you go yet. I will have to try it.
    Old 12-27-2014, 10:46 AM
    Power Poster

Very pretty sashing.
    Old 12-27-2014, 06:07 PM

Aww thanks skaduzy! Boy I like what I am seeing from everyone - so pretty!
    Old 12-27-2014, 06:47 PM
    Power Poster

Hi everybody, I want to thank you for liking the way this WH is developing. It is very much appreciated. It has been a long process to get it this far.

I have struggled to get my stitches to behave nicely. All the stuff I had to come up with to tame my unruly hand was a challenge. After I started to see the blocks come together so nicely I decided I really needed to do a better job sewing them. I took every block apart and re sewed them. There was a lot of trial and error getting this thing together and I still have to figure out how to put all the blocks together and finish it.

Being on leave from work for the month has given me a chance to really get involved with this project and learn and experiment with techniques. While I am sitting on the couch with my knee propped up there isn't much more to do than become OC over every stitch.

JNCT14, I always enjoy your work and this new WH with the red work is awesome.
    Marionsquilts, your sampler has three of my favorite blocks and the sashing, Wow. I can't wait to see it finished.

I love to see and hear about every ones work and then share the finished project in the swap. We are all winners!
    peace