Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • November Secret Pal Swap - UPDATE PAGE 35 >
  • November Secret Pal Swap - UPDATE PAGE 35

• November Secret Pal Swap - UPDATE PAGE 35

Old 12-05-2010, 01:27 PM

I agree with Short and Sweet....I love gathering items and sharing them with a Secret Pal. November was my first swap and I sent and received a package. If something happened and I wouldn't have received a package I would still be happy to have participated. Life throws too many curve balls and sometimes we just can't fulfill a commitment, even thought our heart was in the right place. I am gathering my items for my December Secret Pal and will be sending it out in a day or so....
    I hope it doesn't stop, but I can see if I was an organizer that it could be a challenge.
    Thanks for all you do..
    Old 12-05-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
    Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
    I have a request to do a partner type swap in for January but it hasn't been approved yet. All swaps are in danger of being stopped so keep your fingers crossed.
    It would be sad to see all swaps stopped because we have some slackers on board! I would hate to see that happen that is just letting a few bad apples ruin the whole orchard!
    Ditto. I know it hasn't been denied yet, so I am not complaining, I guess I am just putting my two cents here. I LIKE the secret part about it, playing Santa every month, checking the mail everyday thinking there might be a special package in there. BUT, I do understand how disappointing it is to never get that package..and that was why I offered to send replacement packages before. I also do know that secret swaps are a lot more work for the hostess, so I can see why a partnered swap would be easier in many ways.

That being said, I would still play even if we were partnered, and it would still be fun, like the doll quilt swap, and the pincushion swap. However, I don't see how that is going to prevent slackers. I personally have never been shortened in any swap, but I hear some people saying they didn't get a pincushion, or quilt or whatever, I think if you are going to slack, you are going to do it either way, because even in the secret swaps, the hostess still knows who is partnered with whom, and will track down people who are late sending same way they would track it in a non-secret swap. I am not sure if I am making sense here.

I just hope that hostesses are leaving negative feedback to people not doing their part in swaps, and denying them signing up in future swaps. I personally feel that when you sign up for a swap of any sort, you are taking a bit of risk on not getting anything, not getting as much as you sent, not getting something you like or whatever, and sometimes you will just get a lot more than you expected, and I think that is fun thing about swaps, you never know, and in the process you could make many cyber friends.

OK, that was more like three cents worth :lol:
    Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 PM

I agree Candi, the secret aspect does make it fun. I will probably continue to participate either way. I actually didn't receive a package for October yet, but it certainly hasn't dampened my enthusiam.
    Old 12-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Good thing there are alot more givers than takers in this world.
    Old 12-05-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
    Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
    since Oct, I have participated in 8? swaps and out of those, the only ones I DIDN't receive from was the PARTNERED swaps (3) but the way I look at is, I did them for the experience and to learn how to do something new, and in that it was 100% success, so if I didn't receive in return? well I got what I entered them for, FUN, and there is still always a chance that once their lives catch back up, I may get my swap, lol, always have faith
    I submitted a variation of Koko's suggestion for partnering and not sending until both parties involved have a finished project. We shall see.
    Good luck! I'd like to see the swaps continue in some fashion and I think there are lots of different "spins" that can be put on the swaps. You've been great finding other elves to help in the event someone doesn't get a package. Thank you for all that you do :thumbup:
    Old 12-05-2010, 03:42 PM

I don't have anyone else in my life who is an active quilter, so this board really inspires me. I would like to see the swaps keep going. I have only signed up for one and I rcvd my pkg, as did my pal, and it has been a good experience for me. I feel bad for those that didn't receive in November, that would not be fun!!! My opinion is that once you flake on a swap, you will not be allowed to swap in the next one. IMHO! LOL
    Old 12-05-2010, 03:58 PM

I would be happy to be on a list as a back up for anyone who doesn't receive a package. That way the organizer doesn't feel overwhelmed with trying to send out packages on their own. I am not sure that would help, or just complicate the organizers job.....Just a thought.
    Old 12-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Laura3
    I would be happy to be on a list as a back up for anyone who doesn't receive a package. That way the organizer doesn't feel overwhelmed with trying to send out packages on their own. I am not sure that would help, or just complicate the organizers job.....Just a thought.
    Thanks Laura.

Anybody who wants to be on my list of backup Secret Elves, send me a PM. Only do it if you really mean it though because I am sure you WILL be utilized.
    Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM

I didn't sign up for the December swap only because our post office is crazy from December 1st on and I'm not always able to get there but I sure would be willing to fill in a gap for someone who didn't get a secret pal package in December and provide one to them. Once December 25th is over, the post office will be almost empty again, so please let me know. I do so love putting the packages together. :)
    Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
    I didn't sign up for the December swap only because our post office is crazy from December 1st on and I'm not always able to get there but I sure would be willing to fill in a gap for someone who didn't get a secret pal package in December and provide one to them. Once December 25th is over, the post office will be almost empty again, so please let me know. I do so love putting the packages together. :)
    PM me please on that Nolee.