• October 2009 Doll Quilt Swap (Partners Assigned!) - Signup Closed

• October 2009 Doll Quilt Swap (Partners Assigned!) - Signup Closed

Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Beautiful quilts ladies :!: :!:
    Old 10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Up North
    Originally Posted by amma
    UpNorth, I just looked at your quilt again, those Dresdan blades are mighty tiny!!! WOW :shock: they are so pretty in the feed sack fabrics :D :D :D
    Yes they are tiny! The lady that lived next door to me when I was growing up made them She was a rug weaver and made tons of tiny things with her scraps. She has been gone a lot of years now but I always remember her with a cigarette sticking out of her mouth. My mom got alot of her stuff when her then husband moved on. I got nearly 200 of those blocks. It is hard to part with them!! The whole plate is 7 inches.
    They are teeny weeny, I think I counted 20, and each blade is less than .75in at it's widest - only just over half an inch really, so I consider my self priviledge to own one of these lovely plates.
    And Janis, I have collected redwork designs whereever I could find them, so I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure where these come from, unless Cutebuns can shed some light on it - I think she might have the biggest collection on the board. I know I buy quite a few from emblibrary.com, so they might have come from there. I don't have a comprehensive enough programme with my machine to design myself I would have to upgrade to Version 5 for Bernina, and the money I would spend doing that would probably buy me enough designs to save me having to do any designing in my lifetime.
    Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Lacelady, Is the redwork done by hand or machine? I'd like to try doing some, but it would have to be by hand. I might try to find some small drawings of quilting items and try drawing the out. My daughter has a Nanny that can draw anything. too bad I am too late to have her draw some for me, she leaves for home (Peru) on Thursday. :cry: You both got great little quilts.
    I hope my partner likes the one I'm making. This is my first doll quilt exchange. I'm almost done, I have to put on the label on the back and put the binding on it. I hope to send it out next week. Our quilt club meets next Tues., and I want to show it there first.
    Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
    Power Poster

They are by machine - but if you looked up some of the emb sites under redwork, they would give you lots of ideas, as they are simplyfied and would mostly work very well with hand stitching. Or perhaps you could take photos of some buttons, reels of thread, pincushion, thimbles, pins etc. and trace the outlines of your pics? If not, what about catalogues? Just some ideas.
    Old 10-13-2009, 03:34 PM

K3N
    At the beach this week. Set the sewing machine up in the big balcony window. Made your doll quilt top last night while watching and listening to the ocean. The colors are outrageous. I really really love the fabric line and wanted to use it. As I pieced the top I started to think the colors looked insane together. It was over 50 pieces (did a patchwork). But now that it is together it is starting to grow on me. Can't wait to finish so we can send. Just wanted to let you know your top in infused with sea air! LOL

Tracy in
    South Carolina
    Old 10-13-2009, 04:02 PM

WOW!!! I got mine from Chele today :mrgreen: :mrgreen: talk about fast!! i just love it. and purple is my favorite! and thanx for the new pin cushion, did you know I lost my tomato??? :shock: :oops: this little quilt is pretty big! when I showed my little one she said MINE MINE MINE and I said NO it is MINE :lol: my son said it was pretty and gave a sigh and my oldest gave it a thumbs up :wink: If this is just a taste of what your bigger project will be then it will look great!

Thanx again Chele!! now the wait to see if you like yours :?
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-5264.jpe   attachment-5275.jpe  
    Old 10-13-2009, 04:13 PM
    Power Poster

These are the cutest quilts!!! How did I not get in on these swaps sooner??????? Terri or Chele....you should have beat me over the head with a stick! I love these little quilts...(can't wait to mail mine out to KGoodhand....how ya' comin' girl?)

Lacelady...that is just gorgeous work! Do you use th Explorations software with your Bernina? I do and I love it...I can do lots with the designs without spending the big bucks for the Bernina software...well, I could do lots if I'd take the time to learn it very well... :roll:

Chele...I love the bright colors on that little quilt...and its so simple that they really speak for themselves..great job!
    Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Esqmommy..... It's in the mail. I sent your quilt this afternoon, hope it makes it through the storm. I love looking at the quilts that are being posted. Such a nice variety and all are so creative. This is so much fun.
    Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Lesley, Thank you for the suggestions. I'll keep my eyes open for the different items I want to embroider on a small quilt. Maybe I'll even copy your idea on a future doll quilt exchange. (I'm finally looking for names at places other than the top left of the message.) :) I can't keep people straight yet. I am learing a few names to go with the great quilting they do. I appreciate your help. Thanks again, Janis
    Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Up North
    Originally Posted by amma
    UpNorth, I just looked at your quilt again, those Dresdan blades are mighty tiny!!! WOW :shock: they are so pretty in the feed sack fabrics :D :D :D
    Yes they are tiny! The lady that lived next door to me when I was growing up made them She was a rug weaver and made tons of tiny things with her scraps. She has been gone a lot of years now but I always remember her with a cigarette sticking out of her mouth. My mom got alot of her stuff when her then husband moved on. I got nearly 200 of those blocks. It is hard to part with them!! The whole plate is 7 inches.
    you are being so generous in sharing your treasure!! Those are so lovely!!! :D :D :D That was very nice of your neighbors husband to think of your Mom when they needed a home!! 8) 8) 8)