October Mini Quilt Swap

Old 10-04-2014, 12:59 AM

I sense some sneak peeks coming soon...
Old 10-04-2014, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by tlambing
I had great fun as a child trick or treating. My mother was always very into helping us with costumes. Being the forth daughter, I don't think I ever got a "new" costume. Mom had a box of costumes she saved and there was always something in there to choose from. I think I was a Sicillian dancer at least 5 yrs, until I got too tall for the little skirt. Then I was able to find a longer skirt and modified it into Snow White
We always had the same dinner of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for dinner before going out. A tradition I shared with my kids. The anticipation was almost too much to bear. My favorite homes to get to were the ones of neighborhood friends. There was always some sort of big treat at those houses, giant candy bars or something homemade or in a special bag or container. And we always had to pose for pictures!
I remember walking for what seemed miles and miles. Filling that plastic pumpkin head full of pounds of candy. When we'd get home we were required to let our folks check it out. I really don't think it was for safety as much as it was for them finding a few of their favorites. I didn't mind.
I can picture this, and boy it brings good memories.
I will say when our son trick or treated, we spent more time driving him to houses of friends/family...
And, when you said your parents checked your candy, more to "share some" I laughed out loud. As my son stopped going at 10 yrs old. His dad and I told him he needed to change his mind, and get a great costume, because WE needed his candy!! Of course we were kidding. But it was bittersweet when he stopped wanting to go. I guess it's better that than some of the 30 yr olds I've had trick or treat. Ok, maybe not 30, but in years past some of them looked older than I did..And, no they weren't wearing masks..lol

Y'all remember the plastic masks? And the wax lips and lil soda bottles filled with flavored water?
How about the Garbage Can candy...they were sweettart like candies shaped like garbage, I recall fishbones, an old shoe, empty soda bottle...all came in a lil plastic garbage can holder you could save and use:
http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default...foods.com_.png

Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 10-04-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:19 AM

When my son was about 7 or 8 I dressed him as a mummy. A local mall was having a costume contest. I took an old sheet, cut in strips and started wrapping him from head to toe. He looked really cool. BUT, I didn't take into consideration that the poor kid couldn't sit down. We had to slide him into the back seat of the car to go to the mall. Then, we had to slide him back out. It all worked out because he won a gift certificate to the mall and of course headed straight to the toy store. We laugh about that to this day.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Kiffie that does bring back memories. I remember those wax lips, and do you remember the wax orange whistle things? Then wax finger nails, and yes the pop bottles that you could bite off the ends and drink cool aide type drink inside. Those were the days.

Cool weather here today, and suppose to be patchy frost tonight.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Klaws, If you can believe this...I did the exact same thing with my son! Only I used Cheesecloth Poor guy, felt like he was in a full body cast! But, he was adorable.(for a mummy)

I remember those "wax" candies. They were always a favorite of mine. I loved chewing on the wax like gum. Sounds gross now but as a kid I LOVED it.
I also think I may have been the only person that liked those nougat/peanut butter chewy candies in the orange or black wax paper. I think they still make them! I think they are sort of like an Abba Zabba.
This is so much fun reminiscing <3
Old 10-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by tlambing
Klaws, If you can believe this...I did the exact same thing with my son! Only I used Cheesecloth Poor guy, felt like he was in a full body cast! But, he was adorable.(for a mummy)

I remember those "wax" candies. They were always a favorite of mine. I loved chewing on the wax like gum. Sounds gross now but as a kid I LOVED it.
I also think I may have been the only person that liked those nougat/peanut butter chewy candies in the orange or black wax paper. I think they still make them! I think they are sort of like an Abba Zabba.
This is so much fun reminiscing <3
Yeah, I liked the peanut butter kisses too.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:42 PM

Hey Kif, you want a sneak peek? I've been working on it all day. Everything is where it should be. Now all I have to do is start sewing things down. It turned out exactly the way I wanted.
Attached Thumbnails mini-sneak-peek.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Laughing at y'all's mummy stories..
I didn't like the pb taffies, but there was an orange flavor one I loved.
Off subject, at my great grandma's house at Christmas she had ribbon candy that was filled..but not with that brown chewy yuk..these had a white fizzy center. I've tried to find those, and can't find them anywhere..

Klaws,
I can almost see thru that cover, but not enough..drats!! I have yours ready to put things in place, then need to iron and sew. I was waiting on some new Halloween fabric I'd ordered, it came in a few minutes ago.. Because I needed more fabric and all...
I actually came up with 2 different ideas, and I still really like both..
K
Old 10-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Power Poster

I didn't get to the fabric store until today, but got what I wanted.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:54 PM

Just a quick note to have you zip back over to September and look at the beautiful mini Teresa made and sent me. It's beautiful - thank you again Teresa.