Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • October Secret Pal Swap Closes September 30th CLOSED >
  • October Secret Pal Swap Closes September 30th CLOSED

• October Secret Pal Swap Closes September 30th CLOSED

Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    OOOO Candi, I might just be your SP! :D

OK, more hints, both packages are going to the same state, the packages will go a little bit in the southernly direction while traveling east ;)
    Well, I just checked the atlas... I am due East but looks to be with a little bit of a northern twist...awwww shucks!
    Old 10-05-2011, 04:54 AM

From the tutorial, I thought it sounded like the backing needed to be 1 inch larger on EACH side, making the total size of the backing 2" larger than the square. Is that right?
    Old 10-05-2011, 04:54 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
    Great tutorial !
    Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Originally Posted by koko
    no favorite colors livingroom is neutrals so any colors would be nice and loves hummingbirds and flowers.
    Lori - I know you said 12" but does that mean 12 1/2 or 12"?
    The way you make a quilt as you go block is to make a sandwich. The block should be 12" square, the batting should extend just a tiny bit beyond the square and the backing should be 13" square - or one inch larger than the square itself. When it is put together the backing is sewn at the edge of the square first one way, then the other to join the squares. Then the backing that is now towards the front is turned to create edges, or in our case, frames for the squares. Here's a video showing how to do it if you're using at Batting Buddy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCcfg...eature=related

Just read Lori's post. If she wants it 12 1/2" that's good. Just be sure that your backing is an inch bigger all around.
    I guess you could always just whack off the extra. I think it would be easiest for the blocks to be 12" and then extend the batting a TINY bit beyond and have the backing be an extra inch all around, so I guess my math was off - backing wouldn't be 13" but 14" -- is that right? Need more coffee! Off to look for florals and humming bird embroidery!
    Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by TiltedEars
    From the tutorial, I thought it sounded like the backing needed to be 1 inch larger on EACH side, making the total size of the backing 2" larger than the square. Is that right?
    Yes, that's right. And ... DUH ... since the backing is going to be a frame of sorts for each block, maybe muslin isn't the best idea!

Marty is going to want to get better ASAP just to get out from under this crazy thing, LOL
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    I wanted to show you all some little items I made up tonight for my SP's
    I sure hope I am your Secret pa, just love all those kind of hand made things,,, Think they are the best and you know people thought about who you are when they make and send something...
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 AM

Great tutorial !
    no favorite colors livingroom is neutrals so any colors would be nice and loves hummingbirds and flowers.
    The way you make a quilt as you go block is to make a sandwich. The block should be 12" square, the batting should extend just a tiny bit beyond the square and the backing should be 13" square - or one inch larger than the square itself. When it is put together the backing is sewn at the edge of the square first one way, then the other to join the squares. Then the backing that is now towards the front is turned to create edges, or in our case, frames for the squares. Here's a video showing how to do it if you're using at Batting Buddy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCcfg...eature=related

Just read Lori's post. If she wants it 12 1/2" that's good. Just be sure that your backing is an inch bigger all around.
    I'm going to get it done today so can we all agree on the same size? 12 1/2 top part of block and 13 1/2 backing side? Nope that isn't right so 12 and 14 is the right answer - will hold off til this afternoon before starting it....I think the same color for the backing would be nice because it will all show on the front....like greens? What do you all think??
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 AM

Krystana,
    Most blocks are 12.5" unfisnihed and finish at 12". So if I am understanding correctly, we are using a 12.5" block pattern and then sandwich it with a a backing that is 14.5" inches and quilt it. Right?
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 AM
    Swap Hosts

Great tutorial !

I'm going to get it done today so can we all agree on the same size? 12 1/2 top part of block and 13 1/2 backing side? Nope that isn't right so 12 and 14 is the right answer - will hold off til this afternoon before starting it....I think the same color for the backing would be nice because it will all show on the front....like greens? What do you all think??
    Why not? Leaves are green! (sometimes)
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:34 AM

Patty, yes, these are enough hints to exclude me since you mentioned coffee.:lol:

Wendy, hearing east from WY in a southernly direction still leaves many options. But since you are saying both of your packages are going to the same state, I am going to guess it is a state with many swappers. Texas and FL swappers!! watch out!
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 AM

Ok, international package was posted this morning!PO says 6-10 business day :thumbup: Here is one more hint for international swappers, you like to read and garden :mrgreen: