Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Oriental Hourglass - SWAP CLOSED >
  • Oriental Hourglass - SWAP CLOSED

• Oriental Hourglass - SWAP CLOSED

Old 03-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Your tutorial is excellent. If I can find fabrics that I like, I may sign up.
    Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Thanks! I am a very visual learner and know that pics work for many of us. As for the fabric, the only thing you need to make sure of is that the center block is predominently black. As you can see, mine has gold in it. I know that most places have a little section that you immediately identify as Oriental or Asian as some prefer to call it.
    Old 03-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Deb - I looked at the fabric amounts again and I think yours are correct. When I put my numbers in I didn't subtract the seam allowances and the calculations were all for pieces w/an extra 1/2" as a result. Still learning how to use this Quilters Calculator - but would rather err on the side of buying too much than not enough-LOL. Thanks for checking the numbers!!
    Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
    Deb - I looked at the fabric amounts again and I think yours are correct. When I put my numbers in I didn't subtract the seam allowances and the calculations were all for pieces w/an extra 1/2" as a result. Still learning how to use this Quilters Calculator - but would rather err on the side of buying too much than not enough-LOL. Thanks for checking the numbers!!
    I was taught the standard calculator way by an older lady in my LQS. Even though fabrics are supposed to be 44-45, they really are 42-44 after washing and drying. I use the 40 inches as standard in all of my measurements, just in case of a little slip or the fabric gets a little wonky. That way I always have a little extra. And if the block calls for 3-7/8, I always jump it up to 4 inches square for the same reason. And believe, me, I really do not like doing math, but can do it for a quilt!!!!
    Old 03-04-2011, 06:33 PM

I think there was so much confusion so maybe now with the great tutorial and extra clarification people will start siigning up.
    Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Deb - thanks so much for the tutorial! Hope my blocks come out as pretty as yours. Flying geese and I have not worked well in the past. Maybe this way I will finally 'get it right'.
    Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 PM

Deb - thanks so much for the tutorial! Hope my blocks come out as pretty as yours. Flying geese and I have not worked well in the past. Maybe this way I will finally 'get it right'.
    Old 03-06-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    Originally Posted by Karen
    mom-6 thank you for breaking the measurements down! i have the worst time doing those HSTs.
    That's one reason I got EQ.

When I try to figure it myself I end up with it either too little or too big. Did one three different wrong ways before I finally just added a border to the smallest of the wrong size blocks! Not the block I had originally intended, but it looked ok after all.
    :twisted: I ordered my EQ Saturday!!! :twisted: shhhhhhhhh its a secret!!
    Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Need to find more fabric before I can sign up. I used what was left of my Orient Swap fabric and only have enough of 2 of my fabs to make 6 blocks. Ginna head back to the shop where I found them and hope there is still some there. Love the block btw - it looks great side by side with the other block.
    Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    mom-6 thank you for breaking the measurements down! i have the worst time doing those HSTs.
    That's one reason I got EQ.

When I try to figure it myself I end up with it either too little or too big. Did one three different wrong ways before I finally just added a border to the smallest of the wrong size blocks! Not the block I had originally intended, but it looked ok after all.
    :twisted: I ordered my EQ Saturday!!! :twisted: shhhhhhhhh its a secret!!
    I just got mine I love it. Im looking foward to designing my own appliques.[