Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Potholder Swap - Signup by October 31, 2010 >
  • Potholder Swap - Signup by October 31, 2010

• Potholder Swap - Signup by October 31, 2010

Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM

well I went and bought the things I need to make the potholders, I've got one pinned together. I am going to test it out tonight when I make dinner to make sure it protects from the heat. and if it does I'll start making them. If not I guess it's back to the drawing board lol.
    Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
    So...I know you said we can do bigger than 8" - but do you think 10" is too much? Found a lovely block pattern, but it's 10". I generally prefer mine a little smaller than that, but didn't know if there was anyone out there that liked their potholders larger.
    10" sounds good! It'd be nice to have a large one for underneath the turkey platter during the holidays.
    Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 AM

So...I know you said we can do bigger than 8" - but do you think 10" is too much? Found a lovely block pattern, but it's 10". I generally prefer mine a little smaller than that, but didn't know if there was anyone out there that liked their potholders larger.
    A larger size wouldn't bother me. I would use it probably for a hot pad on the table, and not to actually take stuff out of the oven.
    Old 09-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Ok, my finger is just beginning to heal a bit but the rotary cutter made such a clean, sharp cut that it is not going back together the way it should have. Unfortunately, the doctor used a butterfly instead of stitches and the sides didn't fuse. I was wondering if anyone knows what I can use in the way of a protector while cutting. I'm a little gun shy as you can imagine and cut VERY slowly now, LOL. I've tried thimbles and they are painful because they keep rubbing against the most sensitive part of the cut. I'd appreciate some suggestions from homemade to store-bought solutions. Thanks so much!
    Old 09-04-2010, 02:16 PM

I use the Ove-glove for hot pans, but am anxious to get the potholders to use under clear vases with flowers, as pads under my ceramic planters, etc. I think they will just make a lovely addition to my house and knowing who made them will be very special, so I think many of us will use them that way too, not just as potholders. I'd like to suggest that no matter how we label the back, that we put our name and town, so we know how far-reaching this has actually gone.
    Old 09-05-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
    Ok, my finger is just beginning to heal a bit but the rotary cutter made such a clean, sharp cut that it is not going back together the way it should have. Unfortunately, the doctor used a butterfly instead of stitches and the sides didn't fuse. I was wondering if anyone knows what I can use in the way of a protector while cutting. I'm a little gun shy as you can imagine and cut VERY slowly now, LOL. I've tried thimbles and they are painful because they keep rubbing against the most sensitive part of the cut. I'd appreciate some suggestions from homemade to store-bought solutions. Thanks so much!
    How about a rubber finger? (finger cot) you could actually buy 2 or 3 sizes and put one on top of the other.
    I have made myself duct tape splints for when I do stained glass. Cloth inside, duct tape outside.
    Old 09-05-2010, 05:47 PM

I would love to join the potholder swap. Count me in.
    Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 AM

Here they come!!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-112428.jpe  
    Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM

Those are absolutely adorable, dotcom! How did you do the little loop things?

I haven't even finished my first one...so glad the deadline is far away!
    Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM

The little loops are just double faced strips stitched in the back. Be careful not to extend all of you batting & insulbrite to the edge. It makes it hard to bind neatly. Well, if we wanted store bought perfection we could get these at Macy's!!