Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   April - Boom 18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/april-boom-18-a-t284947.html)

sewbizgirl 04-26-2017 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by mollymunchkin (Post 7812460)

Speaking of a bookshelf quilt, I am thinking of QAYGing it in strips and having the shelf be the sashing. Any reason why that won't work? Any suggestions? I want to quilt around the books and I don't think I can do that on a LA.

I think that is a GREAT idea, MM... It totally will work! :)

sewbizgirl 04-26-2017 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7812457)
Great job w/ the quilt. Pillow would be the way to go b/c it is definately a special occasion block, not one a person would want to repeat 20 times! lol

*Very* special! Thanks so much for making that block for me.

Kassaundra 04-27-2017 03:46 AM

I have several times done QAYG in rows. Allieterre I did in diagonal rows w/ no border and Provence I am doing w/ a wider pieced sashing. Both have/are working well

Originally Posted by mollymunchkin (Post 7812460)
I have quilted four sets of boom blocks into two quilts, have one other flimsy made from two groups of blocks waiting for a trip to the LA, and just over the weekend put my space blocks for my nephew that are from the last boom together in a flimsy. I just need to find a cool border fabric for it. I think boom 15 blocks are the only other ones I haven't touched. i am currently working on a bookshelf quilt, so boom blocks will have to wait.

Speaking of a bookshelf quilt, I am thinking of QAYGing it in strips and having the shelf be the sashing. Any reason why that won't work? Any suggestions? I want to quilt around the books and I don't think I can do that on a LA.

And, Libster, I took your advice and took the teal ruffles off the crib skirt for my niece, replaced it with a blue box pleat, used the same blue with the purple in the baby quilt to tie it all together and she loved it.

Y'all are so awesome!

terriamn 04-27-2017 04:37 AM

Strawberry Lemonaid looks great and perfect name.

MM your bookshelf idea sounds intriguing can't wait to see it.

How do you add borders to QAUG,

sewbizgirl 04-27-2017 09:37 AM

Hi Terri, I would think to add borders just treat them as a strip that you quilt first and then attach with the same size sashing as the quilt... or not. You could just sew the pieces on, right sides together, and then cover with a sashing strip on the back only. There's always a way, even if you have to 'feel your way' through it the first time. QAYG is just building a quilt in units. There are so many different ways to get there.

sewbizgirl 04-27-2017 09:38 AM

...wonder how Libster is? Wasn't she going to have some additional surgery? Anyone heard from her? :eek:

joanelizbay 04-27-2017 11:46 AM

I have a question and it might not be a correct answer to it yet..On the QAYG quilts do you think they will hold up with a lot of use and washing? I know the blocks are quilted and then the sashings are quilted to the blocks but I wonder if they are as sturdy as a full size backing on a quilt? Ive made one and I LOVED it but with so many seams holding it together in rows I was just curious if anyone had investigated the quilt after lots of use? I loved quilting each block separate then sewing them together!

sewbizgirl 04-27-2017 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay (Post 7812827)
I have a question and it might not be a correct answer to it yet..On the QAYG quilts do you think they will hold up with a lot of use and washing? I know the blocks are quilted and then the sashings are quilted to the blocks but I wonder if they are as sturdy as a full size backing on a quilt? Ive made one and I LOVED it but with so many seams holding it together in rows I was just curious if anyone had investigated the quilt after lots of use? I loved quilting each block separate then sewing them together!

I haven't had any of mine long enough to test them, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't hold up. The first thing to break on my quilts is usually the quilting stitches, usually in the bias directions from feet pushing on them. A QAYG shouldn't have that problem because the runs of quilting might be shorter.

You could ask Kass... I think she's been doing her quilts for kids this way for a while. Maybe they have had time to wash them and put some wear on them?

eta: I machine stitch my QAYG sashings down on the front, rather than hand stitch them down on the back, so mine are going to be very strong, being sewn through all layers.

Kassaundra 04-27-2017 02:35 PM

I've had QAYG quilts for over 15 years (maybe even close to 20 years by now) and have never had any damage or wear to the point of seperation to any of the QAYG seams. I have always machine sewn the sections never hand sewn.

jaba 04-27-2017 06:17 PM

I've never done this method before but you ladies are making me very curious and wanting to try it. I went to the tutorial sewbizgirl so soon 1 of my quilts will be this method. Lots of times I have wanted to quilt each block separately but on the longarm it's just so easy and "lazy" to keep going with the same over all pattern. There has to be a first time for everything right??