Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boom 19 - Autumn (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boom-19-autumn-t289352.html)

mjpEncinitas 09-30-2017 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7916923)
Sometimes unsecured pieced batting looks fine when the quilt is finished, but after a wash it pulls apart and you are left with no batting at the place it joined. Not talking about QAYG, where it's sewn down, but just piecing batting in general.... I got a table topper in a swap that was done that way-- apparently the batting was pieced and the pieces just laid together-- and after washing it developed flat spots where the batting didn't come together anymore. Bummer.

Iv'e always been afraid of that so I always planned my quilting carefully and as my quilting teacher would say quilted the snot out of the area. But with the sashing method the blocks are only held together by the sashing. However the blocks are quilted right up to the edge.

sewbizgirl 09-30-2017 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas (Post 7916824)

Experienced boomers what do you do with blocks that are too small?

What I do is look on the back first, to see if I have any big seam allowances. If I can 'let out' a seam and still have a scant 1/4" left, I do that. But if the seams aren't big enough to let out, there's nothing much to be done but to add a small border all the way around the block, and then cut to 12.5" with my 12.5" square ruler. Even if the border comes out very small, it's better than sending a block that is less than 12.5 and won't match up with all the other blocks in someone's quilt.

But the thing to figure out is, why are my blocks coming out small? Consider the seam width you need, and the weight of your thread. Fat thread takes up more space when the seams are pressed to the side. You would need to adjust down to a scant quarter inch seam. You can do some practice seaming with scrap squares, and press them open and measure them. For instance-- two 2.5" squares have to come out to 4.5" when they are pressed open. Play with that until you find exactly how wide a seam you need to take, in order to get that. Put a guide tape on your machine bed, if it doesn't have an accurate line there already, or a good scant 1/4" foot that you can use as a guide. If you cut accurately, with the ruler line on the fabric edge, and keep that exact scant 1/4" seam allowance, everything is bound to come out right. You should only have slivers to trim when you finish.

Some people have better luck using a 50 weight (very fine) thread in piecing. 40 is normal, and 30 is 'fat'.

sewbizgirl 09-30-2017 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas (Post 7916927)
Iv'e always been afraid of that so I always planned my quilting carefully and as my quilting teacher would say quilted the snot out of the area. But with the sashing method the blocks are only held together by the sashing. However the blocks are quilted right up to the edge.

If the sashing is small, like the finished 1/2" sashing I used in my tutorial, those batting edges aren't going anywhere. But if you use a wide sashing, with separate batting pieces in the sashing, you may get some separation if the joins aren't secured. It's a risk.

Kassaundra 09-30-2017 09:04 AM

I wasn't meaning unsecured permanently I thought she was just talking about until it was quilted down.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7916923)
Sometimes unsecured pieced batting looks fine when the quilt is finished, but after a wash it pulls apart and you are left with no batting at the place it joined. Not talking about QAYG, where it's sewn down, but just piecing batting in general.... I got a table topper in a swap that was done that way-- apparently the batting was pieced and the pieces just laid together-- and after washing it developed flat spots where the batting didn't come together anymore. Bummer.

Kassaundra 09-30-2017 09:06 AM

I always quilt the sashing in QAYG since the batting in the sashing isn't sewn to anything until it is quilted.

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas (Post 7916927)

Kassaundra 09-30-2017 09:19 AM

OOOOPS this was suppose to quote MJP's question. I seldom add a small border to the outside, only if it will look purposeful and not hiding a to small block. I usually look for a logical place to add a narrow strip or two inside the block, some element that can be framed. Or make it into a "disappearing" block adding one or more strips wider then needed cut apart and re arrange and sew back together. (this is if I recieve a too small block or if I am making a block that ends up being to small but I don't have fabric to enlarge or remake right) I have been very pleased w/ some of the "disappearing" blocks that have come out way cool. Several booms back I had to do this, I used a contrasting fabric and ended up w/ a outline of a plus sign w/ cool piecing inside it. (that was fixing my mistake not someone elses, nearly all of my fixes have been my mistake) I have not had any too smalls I couldn't redo, I have had a few to narrow seams I didn't care to redo.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7916930)
What I do is look on the back first, to see if I have any big seam allowances. If I can 'let out' a seam and still have a scant 1/4" left, I do that. But if the seams aren't big enough to let out, there's nothing much to be done but to add a small border all the way around the block, and then cut to 12.5" with my 12.5" square ruler. Even if the border comes out very small, it's better than sending a block that is less than 12.5 and won't match up with all the other blocks in someone's quilt.

But the thing to figure out is, why are my blocks coming out small? Consider the seam width you need, and the weight of your thread. Fat thread takes up more space when the seams are pressed to the side. You would need to adjust down to a scant quarter inch seam. You can do some practice seaming with scrap squares, and press them open and measure them. For instance-- two 2.5" squares have to come out to 4.5" when they are pressed open. Play with that until you find exactly how wide a seam you need to take, in order to get that. Put a guide tape on your machine bed, if it doesn't have an accurate line there already, or a good scant 1/4" foot that you can use as a guide. If you cut accurately, with the ruler line on the fabric edge, and keep that exact scant 1/4" seam allowance, everything is bound to come out right. You should only have slivers to trim when you finish.

Some people have better luck using a 50 weight (very fine) thread in piecing. 40 is normal, and 30 is 'fat'.

sewbizgirl 09-30-2017 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7916947)
I wasn't meaning unsecured permanently I thought she was just talking about until it was quilted down.

Yes, I think she was.

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7916951)
I always quilt the sashing in QAYG since the batting in the sashing isn't sewn to anything until it is quilted.

Quilting the snot out of it, right? :p

sewbizgirl 09-30-2017 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7916970)
I usually look for a logical place to add a narrow strip or two inside the block, some element that can be framed. Or make it into a "disappearing" block adding one or more strips wider then needed cut apart and re arrange and sew back together.

Ah, that's a great idea... the 'slash and insert' method, if it works with the block. I'll have to remember that remedy.

sewbizgirl 09-30-2017 01:11 PM

Hey, since we all love sampler quilts, I thought I'd share this. I was perusing through my patterns and found a magazine I had folded open to an advertisement for McCall's Quilting Sparkling Sampler II Quilt. The ad was for block-of-the-month kits from a vendor, at $25 a month plus shipping. :shock: (I don't think so... do I need more fabric?) So on a whim I looked the pattern up online to see if I could buy just the pattern, and to my surprise found that McCall's offers it as a free download! It is so gorgeous... take a look:
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/conte...plerForWeb.pdf

Kassaundra 09-30-2017 01:37 PM

Nice, I obviously would do it in a different color, lol That could be reproduced w/ boom blocks. Either making the 6 inch blocks or deconstructing the boom blocks you get that are made of 4 6 inch squares.I have swap blocks from a different swap on a chicken forum my blocks have several that could be deconstructed this way, the theme was earth tone colors (fall)

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7917061)
Hey, since we all love sampler quilts, I thought I'd share this. I was perusing through my patterns and found a magazine I had folded open to an advertisement for McCall's Quilting Sparkling Sampler II Quilt. The ad was for block-of-the-month kits from a vendor, at $25 a month plus shipping. :shock: (I don't think so... do I need more fabric?) So on a whim I looked the pattern up online to see if I could buy just the pattern, and to my surprise found that McCall's offers it as a free download! It is so gorgeous... take a look:
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/conte...plerForWeb.pdf