Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boom 19 - Autumn (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boom-19-autumn-t289352.html)

Janice McC 10-03-2017 11:16 AM

A question about how to measure blocks has come up. Great question and perhaps the first time asked. In my opinion, the best way is to press, not iron, your block and then place a 12 1/2 inch or larger acrylic square ON TOP OF YOUR BLOCK to check size. (If you haven't pressed it, you cannot measure it properly.) Line up the square with your block and view FROM ABOVE, not from the side or at a distance. Your square will also point out any wonkiness. DO NOT RELY ON YOUR CUTTING MAT LINES. They are notoriously wrong. Also, please don't use a measuring tape. The acrylic square is your best bet. Also, be sure to measure smack in the middle of the markings, not to either side. Hope that helps.

Libster 10-03-2017 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn (Post 7918813)
Feels strange continuing going on as a tourist after the gut wrenching shooting in Vegas. The news is thanking tourists for their prayers and generosity and asking us to go on with our plans. Vegas wants to welcome us.

Bought some new boom fabric today at the quilt shop dh surprised me with a trip to. The shop was large, brightly lit and had over 1,000 bolt of fabric

That man sounds like a keeper to me, Terri!

sewbizgirl 10-03-2017 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn (Post 7918813)
Feels strange continuing going on as a tourist after the gut wrenching shooting in Vegas. The news is thanking tourists for their prayers and generosity and asking us to go on with our plans. Vegas wants to welcome us.

Bought some new boom fabric today at the quilt shop dh surprised me with a trip to. The shop was large, brightly lit and had over 1,000 bolt of fabric

If all the tourists pack it up and go home, the city will suffer financially. But I can understand your heart not being in it. Everyone needs time to grieve and process what's happened, locals and tourists alike.

travelinggramma 10-03-2017 12:39 PM

Glad to hear Terri you are safe. I have a friend who is there and had been very upset she couldn't get tickets. She is praising God now! My thoughts are with his family and how they must live with what he did and come to terms with it. And all the people who will be petrified just going out anytime. I can not fathom it all.
I am still plugging along and getting house cleaned and bringing in stuff from the home on wheels. I gave myself yesterday afternoon and brought all my fabric in. I have 6 tops that need either backing or quilting. And then another 4 bags with material to make a certain pattern. And of course my precious stash. Just to see it all in one room was overwhelming! So many things to make and create andddddddd
We found a huge executive desk at thrift store which is coming on Thursday and will be my official work station (in part of the LR).
back to cleaning.

JayneW 10-03-2017 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two more blocks done! I took some time off of boom blocks to finish a quilt for a wedding present and to do the winter swap blocks... but I will finish on time - promise!

Here are blocks for Cheesehead and Bibliostone. I have everyone's blocks up on my design wall, I'm going to be sad to see them move out!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581700[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]581701[/ATTACH]

hav4boys 10-04-2017 06:27 AM

Beautiful blocks. Hoping to finish mine up this week and weekend. I have had so much fun with the blocks.

Janice McC 10-04-2017 07:40 AM

Nice job, JayneW. Love the heart in Bibliostone's. :)

Originally Posted by JayneW (Post 7919048)
Two more blocks done! I took some time off of boom blocks to finish a quilt for a wedding present and to do the winter swap blocks... but I will finish on time - promise!

Here are blocks for Cheesehead and Bibliostone. I have everyone's blocks up on my design wall, I'm going to be sad to see them move out!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581700[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]581701[/ATTACH]

Kassaundra 10-04-2017 08:22 AM

Borders are on and quilted, next up binding.

terriamn 10-04-2017 09:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is a wind blown hubby in one of his favorite Hawaiian shirts and look at the kit I bought at the first Las Vegas quilt shop we visited. So excited to start it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]581713[/ATTACH]

Janice McC 10-04-2017 12:10 PM

Winds are definitely wild out there sometimes. Must have been a weird wind that blew you to the quilt shop. Happy for your find!

Originally Posted by terriamn (Post 7919345)
This is a wind blown hubby in one of his favorite Hawaiian shirts and look at the kit I bought at the first Las Vegas quilt shop we visited. So excited to start it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]581713[/ATTACH]