Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boom 19 - Autumn (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boom-19-autumn-t289352.html)

mjpEncinitas 11-06-2017 06:50 AM

Actually Since I'm experimenting and learning I love changing it up. If the fabric is right for the block I'm thinking about. I'll try the fan method. That would be fun. But with my memory you might get seams open and it's comforting to know you won't mind.

terriamn 11-06-2017 06:54 AM

Sewbiz I agree 100% with MJP. Your quilt is beautiful and you just whip them right out.

MJP, I would also like one of “your style” blocks in the next boom. I love your arty style

mjpEncinitas 11-06-2017 06:55 AM

I love hearing everyone's tips about piecing and quilting. I went back and reviewed 1/4" seams after sewbiz mentioned that in one of the booms. This next boom I'm going to work on Kass' suggestion of using starch on the squares where I have to bias cut. One of the greatest joys in life for me is learning new things and the suggestions on this boom really help me pick the new things I learn.

terriamn 11-06-2017 06:58 AM

MJP, I am also a big fan of starch. I went to a class and the instructor suggested spraying the fabric 3 times before cutting it. I also measure as I go, that has helped me tremendously

mjpEncinitas 11-06-2017 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn (Post 7938922)
MJP, I would also like one of “your style” blocks in the next boom. I love your arty style

Ok, I always end up doing about three pieced squares then my artsy side comes up with all these odd squares and I can't resist. :p I know Sewbiz usually does charity quilts so I tend towards pieced for hers as they hold up in a hot water, hot dryer situation. I think the appliqué would too but I want to be safe.

your fabric always lends itself to arty stuff. I would have done a dancing skeleton for you but you cannot wash it!

mjpEncinitas 11-06-2017 07:05 AM

I measure the little units of a square too.

I don't generally use starch on my quilts as they don't get washed ever and I read somewhere you can get bugs. Since the boom quilts go into quilts that get washed I will experiment with them.

I love these booms because I can do wonderful FMQ in all the more traditional squares.

Libster 11-06-2017 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn (Post 7938922)
Sewbiz I agree 100% with MJP. Your quilt is beautiful and you just whip them right out.

Hey, count me in for "your style" too! I love your blocks.

terriamn 11-06-2017 11:25 AM

Sewbiz my block arrived, thanks so much for sending it to me. Joanliz very pretty block. Thank you

klaws 11-06-2017 01:49 PM

Sewbiz, love the Christmas quilt! It is so pretty!

joanelizbay 11-06-2017 03:14 PM

Sorry again about the mix up. Glad you like it Terri!!!